HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post

Tourmaline, you were close. It is a 1939 Cadillac series 61 coupe.

My second choice would have been shopping for a bolo.

My screen does not make it easy for me to discern the mystery auto's grille work. The pontoon fenders caught my eye, hence my first guess. Now that I've seen the Caddy's incisors and the ad with two-tone paint, I think you are on the right track. The wheelbase seems slightly too long for it to be a Chevy, but given the extreme magnification, it is not out of the question. Would it look any different parked in Westchester?

BTW, a non-factory two-tone paint job may have been more common than you folks remember, especially for cars neglected during WW2. Earl Schieb supposedly got his start in '37 and he had plenty of competition in the lacquer category. Admittedly, from what I have read, his budget spruce-ups involved the same color as originally applied. FWIW, there is a '42 CD listing for his station at 1101 S. Fairfax, which would have put him on the SW Corner of Fairfax and Whitworth Dr., where there is currently a shop.

Another oddly connected series of images?http://images.google.com/hosted/life...6a93ff8d9.html These were probably deemed less-than suitable for publication. Nevertheless, they cover numerous NLA topics. Here is only a smattering, in no particular order.

Carthay Circle Theater (?) - undated and without any description

No idea where, when or who, but Carmera-car and signage suggests a fair likelihood it's LA

Precursor to the Roosevelt Highway?

St. Vincent's on Figueroa? Undated.

Beach

Huntington Palisades?

A better image probably posted on NLA:
https://hppoc.files.wordpress.com/20...ca_canyons.jpg

Possibly the best of the lot?

Denver Hotel (6 Ozone Ave., Santa Monica) Notice the quaint lifeguard tower in center. Quite a bit on Lifeguard history: http://www.fire.lacounty.gov/lifegua...guard-history/

The Denver is featured on a few USC images. Circa 1926: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/73356

And circa 1920 http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...oll65/id/25572

Last edited by Tourmaline; Jun 27, 2016 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 3:26 PM

That pic with the camera car has a great assortment of hats. I think that's D.W. Griffith on the right in the dark hat and suit.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
That pic with the camera car has a great assortment of hats. I think that's D.W. Griffith on the right in the dark hat and suit.
Almost certainly; compare the ears:

(Old cop/counterintelligence trick to see through disguises)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
May be mistaken, but the shots were "generally" labeled by source as Crenshaw. It is probably not the first time Crenshaw and Westchester have been lumped together as part of the post WW2 construction boom.

Undated shot of the Hall of Records from a series dealing with some sort of criminal proceedings in the Fed Court. http://images.google.com/hosted/life...b63d59414.html Haven't seen them before on NLA.

The man in the light-colored suit is Warren Dorn, County Supervisor and former mayor of Pasadena. I knew him back in the '50s. His brothers Frank and Bob Dorn had homes in the Linda Vista neighborhood of Pasadena where I spent my summers back then. Their kids were my playmates. The LA County Board of Supervisors in those days were known as "the five little kings,"as they wielded almost unchallenged authority.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:01 PM

We're into more mystery territory with this Julius Shulman post. There's no location information with these two images, but the lights make me think that the intersection may be in LA. There is a street sign on one of the lampposts, but I can't read it. This is "Job 645: Property views, 1950".

Both from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:28 PM

I think the road sign says "3[?]4." What really caught my eye was that Frazer parked at the curve with its hatchback open and what looks like somebody's laundry hanging out there.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Exploring the subject of "Gilmore" begot this impressive March '49-image. I assumed it was posted before, but now I do not think so.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7a599b922e5ee727_large
Tourmaline, love this photo you posted. I checked to make sure, see photo below, but it's cars lined up in the Gilmore Drive-In with Gilmore Field in the distance, right, and in the background to the left, Gilmore Stadium. Wonder if you could hear the ball games while you were in the Drive-In?

This photo originally posted by HossC.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:59 PM

This has been bugging me since I first watched the Temple area video from 1963.

What is this structure that's under construction in the distance?

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/1429/rec/1

To get a sense of where we are street wise, I'll back up a few frames in the video.

there's a 'Not A Through Street' sign

The answer is probably glaringly obvious, but right now I'm drawing a complete blank as to what this could be.

_

That said, I'd love to go back in time & have a fountain coke and a bag of chips at 'The Stop'.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Almost certainly; compare the ears:

(Old cop/counterintelligence trick to see through disguises)

Cheers,

Earl
Hi Guys:

To this early Los Angeles/Hollywood buff, there is absolutely no way the thin, elderly-looking man in the circa 1920 photo is D.W. Griffith, large ears notwithstanding. Griffith was a powerful-looking man & would've been in his 40's when this photo was taken. The older man looks to me to be at least in his 60's.

The photos themselves are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Ditto the photos of the opening at the Villa Capri. That is definitely not Rosemary Clooney in the Jayne Mansfield shot.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
In 1956 Jo-Ann Cox of Ballwin, Missouri, won a Screen Album magazine contest.
The prize was ''A visit to Hollywood and a date with teenage heartthrob...Tab Hunter''. Yes, Tab Hunter.
Her mom also came along on the trip.

Here's Tab and Jo-Ann at the very adult Mocambo on the Sunset Strip.

reminisce.com
I just watched the Tab Hunter: Confidential documentary on NetFlix. This girl is interviewed in the documentary about her date and what it was like. Was interesting to see her now. She talks as though she just had the date last night!

A segment in the documentary prompted me to check youtube for a video of something. Because I always like to mention the place (heh!), here's one of the comments that was posted:

John Sweeney: I talked to Tab on the phone for about 20 minutes during a political fund drive.......I mentioned that I had
gotten his autograph when I was 14 at
Coffee Dan's restaurant on Hollywood Blvd...He was gracious then and now as well.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks Hoss.

So if the current Big Lots is the old B & B Market, that makes this building the old Thrifty's, right?

gsv

detail

Here's a better view, looking from the direction of the Big Lots.

gsv

The building appears to be relatively unchanged from it's time as a Thriftys. -very cool.

__
Just a quick confirmation of that building as a Thrifty...from a Thrifty veteran!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:16 PM

Excellent lemster2014, & you've lined up the 'before and after' perfectly! (that's difficult to do with the googlemobile)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
This has been bugging me since I first watched the Temple area video from 1963.

What is this structure that's under construction in the distance?

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/1429/rec/1

Not sure about the direction we are facing, but if I had to guess, the first thing that comes to mind is 420 South Grand at what used to be called Madison/Pacific Bell Tower aka ATT Tower. Most sources state the tower was completed in '61. Your '63 captured images suggest the tower may have only been partially competed, but perhaps some of the footage was shot earlier. It may also be that the tower top looked slightly asymmetrical when "first" completed.

http://www.thecentraloffice.com/cali...dison/lamw.jpg

http://www.southlandarchitecture.com...Oct08-008a.jpg

Regarding Ms. Clooney, I hope you don't think that is DWGriffith.

I have significant doubts about the photo id, mostly because she would be pictured as uncharacteristically gaunt and not smiling and she is best remembered as a blonde. However, there are a very few images of her in a pensive mood that vaguely resemble the photo. Moreover, it is now clear she was a familiar face at the Villa. Could she have been having an off moment? (I'd bet there are other news images that might help the id.)

Three more for the road?

Getty

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/ori...a.jpg?djet1p5k

Much more info on the Villa history here: http://www.hollywoodheritage.com/pre...a%20Capri.html

For example:
Quote:
Mr. D’Amore brought in a partner of his own choosing on this version of the Villa Capri, Frank Sinatra, who co-owned the restaurant from its opening until its closing. Sinatra had been a regular at the little Villa Capri where he had developed a close relationship with Mr. D’Amore (he was godfather to Mr. D’Amore’s son, Joe). When the Villa Capri opened it was nationally televised on NBC’s America Tonight After Dark, a spin-off of the Tonight Show. The restaurant continued in the media spotlight for 25 years, including a live radio show that interviewed celebrities there, hosted by famed entertainment reporter Will Tusher on KABC radio, the last such show done in Hollywood (celebrity radio interview shows had been broadcast from Hollywood restaurants since the 1930s). It also served as the restaurant ‘Tulio’s’ in the movie Body Heat (1981).

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...c45188667e.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; Jun 27, 2016 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:46 PM

Thanks for your help Tourmaline. I thought the AT&T tower was too far away to be seen from this neighborhood.

That said, I believe you're correct. I mean, what else could it be?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:56 PM

This poor sap seems to be having a pretty bad day.

eBay

"Administering an Intoximeter at Valley Hospital, ca.1951."

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Not sure about the direction we are facing, but if I had to guess, the first thing that comes to mind is 420 South Grand at what used to be called Madison/Pacific Bell Tower aka ATT Tower. Most sources state the tower was completed in '61. Your '63 captured images suggest the tower may have only been partially competed, but perhaps some of the footage was shot earlier. It may also be that the tower top looked slightly asymmetrical when "first" completed.
Quote:

Thanks for your help Tourmaline. I thought the AT&T tower was too far away to be seen from this neighborhood.

That said, I believe you're correct. I mean, what else could it be?
I think I agree with Tourmaline's identification of the AT&T Tower. That particluar shot seems to have been taken just above W 1st Street on N Beaudry. For future reference, I've screengrabbed the route map from the start of the video and overlaid it on a current Google Maps aerial view. NB. I had to remake the original "S" and "F" markers as they didn't show up on the overlay.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Hi Guys:

To this early Los Angeles/Hollywood buff, there is absolutely no way the thin, elderly-looking man in the circa 1920 photo is D.W. Griffith, large ears notwithstanding. Griffith was a powerful-looking man & would've been in his 40's when this photo was taken. The older man looks to me to be at least in his 60's.

The photos themselves are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Ditto the photos of the opening at the Villa Capri. That is definitely not Rosemary Clooney in the Jayne Mansfield shot.
I defer to your expertise, and thanks. Unfortunately, it appears I no longer can edit the post.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:36 PM

Part of a collection including August '45 glimpses of LA.http://images.google.com/hosted/life...c8c6ca21f.html

August 1945
1329 S. Figueroa - The pictured Bekins is listed, but not the auto dealership.

Santa Monica Beach

Meanwhile,
Quote:
The Conference of Studio Unions was, at the time, an International union belonging to the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and represented the Carpenters, Painters, Cartoonists and several other crafts working for the Studios in Hollywood.

Seventy-seven set decorators broke away from IATSE to form the Society of Motion Picture Interior Decorators (SMPID) and negotiated an independent contract with the producers in 1937. The SMPID joined the CSU in 1943 and the CSU represented the SMPID in their contract negotiations. After the producers stalled the negotiations for nine months, IATSE questioned CSU jurisdiction over the Set Decorators which led to a further five-month delay as the CSU and IATSE fought over jurisdiction. When the Producers refused to acknowledge an independent arbitrator appointed by the War Labor Board's assessment that the CSU had jurisdiction over the Set Decorators in February 1945, it set the stage for the strike.
Strike

An estimated 10,500 CSU workers went on strike in March 1945 and began picketing all the studios resulting in delays of several films, including Selznick's epic Duel in the Sun and the Cole Porter story Night and Day. Unfortunately for CSU, the studios had some 130 films on the shelves at the time and were able to comfortably sit out a strike for the time being. Regardless, Disney, Monogram and several independents bargained with CSU while Columbia, Fox, MGM, Paramount, RKO, Universal, and Warner did not.

Despite orders from their leadership and threatened with fines and revocation of their cards, many members of IATSE refused to cross the picket lines or do work normally filled by members of the CSU. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Black_Friday

Studio Worker's Picket (MGM?)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think I agree with Tourmaline's identification of the AT&T Tower. That particluar shot seems to have been taken just above W 1st Street on N Beaudry.
It's certainly a lot further away than it looks in the 1963 video.

google_earth / distance between 1st & Beaudry and the AT&T Tower

below: Amazing job on the map Hoss!

Quote:

__

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I just watched the Tab Hunter: Confidential documentary on NetFlix. This girl is interviewed in the documentary about her date and what it was like. Was interesting to see her now. She talks as though she just had the date last night!

A segment in the documentary prompted me to check youtube for a video of something. Because I always like to mention the place (heh!), here's one of the comments that was posted:

John Sweeney: I talked to Tab on the phone for about 20 minutes during a political fund drive.......I mentioned that I had
gotten his autograph when I was 14 at
Coffee Dan's restaurant on Hollywood Blvd...He was gracious then and now as well.
Here is the 2 min preview of the Tab Hunter documentary...2015.

No matter what his ups and downs, Tab has always been a gentleman.

https://youtu.be/XFlH10Ln66A

google images

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos