HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
NOT quite demolished....although it will be converted into a minor league stadium. It will keep the same dimensions but the upper decks and the out field facade will be torn down. They want to keep the out field open so that they may be able to see the new stadium.
Oh really? I didn't know that they'd have a minor league team there. I knew that they weren't completely tearing down the old stadium. But, anyway who will be playing there, the SI Yankees?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:13 AM
Angry Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
I think it is AWESOME that they are trying to maintain the history of the park, that is really cool.

Otherwise you end up with Parks like the ones in Pittsburgh, or Detroit, or the Reds park.

I hope if/when the Redsox get a new stadium they do the same thing.
But the first three parks you mention are all amazing stadiums, how can you say otherwise? What were they supposed to do, keep the charm of Three Rivers Stadium???

As for a new Sox park, they should have done it in the late nineties when they had the chance. The foundations of Fenway are rotting, etc, but the current ownership is hell bent on keeping the same stadium, and just upgrading it forever, so a new Sox park won't happen for decades.

Last edited by Benhamin; Aug 1, 2007 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 5:42 AM
low-riding

i hadn't heard about the salvaging of yankees stadium. thats awesome news.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:51 AM

re saw the pride of the Yankees the other night and from the clips saw what a stadium Yankee was..... totally NY back in the day in size and majesty... completely matched the city....... Not now though, although I think NY can pull off an 80,000 stad if any city can .... man those old pics of old yank stad lookd boss......... wish i could have been there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Steinbrenner already "renovated the stadium" in the 70's....which pretty much meant he had the thing rebuilt. The stadium in all it's glory stinks too bad and is falling apart....there's only so many times you can renovate. Besides....they are gonna do much more to improve the area other than the new stadium.

Also, with the current collective bargining agreement in the MLB the revenues from normal ticket sales are subject to being shared with other teams while revenues from luxury suites are not. Needless to say, the new stadium will have fewer seats and many more luxury boxes to protect its own revenues. The stadium will pay itself off rather quickly becuase of this.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:19 PM
Bionic Boogie

photo courtesy of MIZZ LIZ flickr

old and new

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:26 PM
Todo para la familia

NICE PIC.......people don't realize how close Yankee stadium is to Manhattan. I kinda wish the new stadium would be flipped and have the outfield near the river. I'm excited to see how this thing is gonna look. Between this and CITI FIELD....New Yorkers will have some quality stadiums to be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:47 PM

Quote:
I kinda wish the new stadium would be flipped and have the outfield near the river.
Actually the stadium was designed that way so that the sun would never be in the batter's eyes, which is also why Shea (and CitiField) are facing east.

Still, as awesome as a skyline view would be, there's just something special about a bunch of old tenements and the Bronx County Courthouse (sure beats the hell out of a U-Haul warehouse and the Whitestone Bridge ).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSideofSteinway View Post
Actually the stadium was designed that way so that the sun would never be in the batter's eyes, which is also why Shea (and CitiField) are facing east. ).
all ballparks are designed this way. nothing unique about it. MLB has some design standards, and this is one requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSideofSteinway View Post
Still, as awesome as a skyline view would be, there's just something special about a bunch of old tenements and the Bronx County Courthouse (sure beats the hell out of a U-Haul warehouse and the Whitestone Bridge ).
why do people care about the view from ballparks? you're there to watch a game, not gawk over the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 7:47 PM

The view is just something to compliment the location you are. You're not just at the game but you're in (insert city). The view can certainly add to it. I mean, Chicago and north Chicago at Wrigley are a point. You can't see much at fenway but it's undeniable things beyond the stadium play into the view with some fans in attendance (not that there is much). Elysian Fields plays as an awesome backdrop at Dodger Stadium (with Downtown viewable from the top of the stadium/behind home plate)...

But the ultra-urbanism with Pittsburgh and Detroit are just factors that add to everything. I dunno. It really shouldn't be a big deal but I love the act both skylines are viewable from the park. It adds to the ambiance. You feel like you are ON Fisherman's Wharf at ATT Ballpark in San Fran... and conversely - you feel like you are lost in a bland zone at Dolphin Stadium in Miami for the Marlins.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 1:02 AM
not cleavefied

a nice happy compilation of updates, thanks

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Yawn.......

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 12:32 AM

Absolutely beautiful. Cant wait till it opens. Kind of reminds me of the Rangers ballpark without all of the suck inside of it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat24inNJ View Post
Absolutely beautiful. Cant wait till it opens. Kind of reminds me of the Rangers ballpark without all of the suck inside of it.
caugh caugh WHAT!? this looks nothing like The Ballpark in Arlington. he Ballpark in Arlington took parts of its design from Yankee Stadium.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbrink View Post
caugh caugh WHAT!? this looks nothing like The Ballpark in Arlington. he Ballpark in Arlington took parts of its design from Yankee Stadium.
Fuck you asshole.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:54 AM
BANNED

what? I said our stadium took its design from there stadium. Your blind sided man. Read better.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:38 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Glad the Yanks and the city finally got their heads of their asses and are gonna open up a Metro-North station, The Deegan is an F'in mess during games. (Too bad they never did it when the station was right NEXT to the tracks). Hopefully they can figure out how to get the schedule to work with the games -- I wouldn't hold my breathe tho when it comes to the MTA and anything making sense.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 8:24 PM

WNY 11/25

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRY85 View Post
WNY 11/25

I like the double stadium look (though not particularly at Shea). It's too bad the original can't stand as is.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:47 AM
World Machine

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There just taking off the upper decks right?

I still feel there is nothing wrong with the current one. It's going to be wierd watching them in a new stadium. It won't be the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive