HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

We still haven’t seen the final plans. Barnett recently expanded the footprint, and has adjusted the filings. We’ll just have to see what the final result is. With multiple towers being planned, I can’t reason that Extell see’s this as the best oppurtunity for a deck.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Based on the massing, 1/2 of the tower looks decent, almost like a quasi-ESB massing but than they forgot the rest and left the elevator shaft all the way to a sort of wine cork looking top.

Eh, I'll wait until actual renderings come out to really judge. Based on the massing, IMO, doesn't look promising design wise. Great height but I guess we'll see.

Hopefully the massing is just AutoCAD having a stroke and not rendering the rest of the tower right.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:26 AM
Sydney

There's nothing erroneous about that original structural rendering- the text pretty clearly describes a 240' 'tower mast' rising above the roof of level 38. It only remains to be seen how much of this design will be kept through to the next filings.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 1:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
There's nothing erroneous about that original structural rendering- the text pretty clearly describes a 240' 'tower mast' rising above the roof of level 38. It only remains to be seen how much of this design will be kept through to the next filings.
I stated when I posted it that it wasn’t the current state of the project. That report is from earlier in the year. It won’t be dramatically different, but it won’t be exactly that. I try to keep you as updated and accurate as possible.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:30 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I stated when I posted it that it wasn’t the current state of the project. That report is from earlier in the year. It won’t be dramatically different, but it won’t be exactly that. I try to keep you as updated and accurate as possible.
I would never doubt your posts, you know the planning process much better than I do I just wanted to address Chris's theory that the attached rendering was incomplete in its massing- it definitely seems an accurate representation of the design at the time.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
I would never doubt your posts, you know the planning process much better than I do I just wanted to address Chris's theory that the attached rendering was incomplete in its massing- it definitely seems an accurate representation of the design at the time.
Well, the massing seems accurate. The proportions are what will or have changed. Also, the overall height of the mast.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Seems we're jumping from one project to the next. But Barnett has been given full construction permits. They will most likely begin foundation work, but the only thing that would be in the way is financing to get it completed. That may come later.

Also, the plans don't reflect Barnett's annex of the 8th Avenue properties, so that would also come later.

We get a look at the current zoning diagram...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

Well that is some weird weird wild stuff.

That last one looks like a shuffling robot dressed up like a pilgrim.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:15 AM

waiting for actual renderings before forming my opinion. No reason to be overly critical right now. It's an observation tower with 360 degree views tacked onto leasble space. In Times Square of all places, Tourists will love it. I think it will fit in fine on the skyline, especially with all the skinnies around 57th.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:29 AM
BANNED

As per Kurtz:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
waiting for actual renderings before forming my opinion. No reason to be overly critical right now. It's an observation tower with 360 degree views tacked onto leasble space. In Times Square of all places, Tourists will love it. I think it will fit in fine on the skyline, especially with all the skinnies around 57th.
Observation tower at 850-1,000 ft max doesn't excite me especially when you have the The Hudson Yards Edge, 1 Vanderbilt, the Rock, The Empire State Bldg..

This observation tower needs another 300-400 feet to really stand out amongst the competition.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Barnett has lost his marbles.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:48 PM

The Rumor:

The Reality:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:27 PM

Except that was never a rumor. It was an architecture project/ case study.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
The Rumor:
Not a rumor. That was an architectural vision by an outside company and was never actually proposed for the site.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:59 PM
BANNED

We have so much great stuff proposed at the moment that I won't lose sleep over this, especially since 8th Ave is a disgusting dump that I never even approach.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:36 PM
New Yorker for life

The plans for this tower reminds me of the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas.

After visiting Vanderbilt’s Summit, I’m ready for more decks to open. The skyline is too great for a limited number of vantage points, and there is a thirst for it now. I’m not crazy about the design, but this is basically a tourists attraction.

The terrace here would be about 1,030 ft, around the same height as the decks at Empire and Vanderbilt. The view would be close in height to the view from the ledge at Vanderbilt.

The pod would be visible in this view, the tower of similar height to the BofA and 4 TS.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wat da?

well wacky my doodle dandy.

kill it.

kill it with fire.

now.

but seriously, this is in times square, so who cares, its to be expected.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:41 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Wait so they replaced the 400 meter tall cylinder building with this??? No thanks. They better bring back the cylinder design because it is much better.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Wait so they replaced the 400 meter tall cylinder building with this??? No thanks. They better bring back the cylinder design because it is much better.
No, they didn't. Again, that was never a real proposal. That was a vision designed by an architecture team that had no connection to the site, the developers, the owners, or the group actually designing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction