HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:14 PM

I meant to post this the other night. Joe sent me this article from Allnovascotia.com.
I don't have access to the site so this is the only way I can post it. But good news is it seems the Heritage Trust, or at least their new president is endorsing the plan for Fenwick.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:57 PM

Small error in that article... the glass facade will not "cover up" the concrete... it will replace it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

From what I've heard, Peter Delefes seems much more reasonable than Phil Pacey.

There's very little to complain about when it comes to this proposal, unless you happen to be a lover of tired looking 70s concrete.

It probably helps to have the new apartment building nearby as well. I don't find that building particularly attractive but it is at least proof that something of that size can be built there without having much impact on the area.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
digital b0y

That is an extreme makeover. Wow, this tower will be amazing once its been renovated. Do you guys know when this will actually take place? Is it expected to start soon ?

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 4:33 AM

The developers are trying to push it through the city as quickly as possible. Development applications normally take upwards of 18 months to be fully processed, but this one might be sped up if possible.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 12:37 AM

There is a new vid created explaining the process so far on this development. It's posted on their facebook page. Quite well done in my opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=212844505210

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
From what I've heard, Peter Delefes seems much more reasonable than Phil Pacey.
Seems to be. Although is there no one else in town to get an opinion from on urban development? I mean the Heritage Trust "blessing"? There is an architecture and planning school in the city, and a design school.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 3:34 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There is a new vid created explaining the process so far on this development. It's posted on their facebook page. Quite well done in my opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=212844505210
Amazing, its gonna look sick in the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 3:38 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
That is an extreme makeover. Wow, this tower will be amazing once its been renovated. Do you guys know when this will actually take place? Is it expected to start soon ?
I think it will happen, the progression has been good since it was sold by Dal and it must be a good revenue stream for cash to keep things going once approved.

This one is a no brainer, the current site and tower are one of the major remaining eyesores in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:04 PM

This project is starting the approval process;

Case 15937 - MPS/LUB Ammendments, 5599 Fenwick Street

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:42 PM

Here's Spacing Atlantic's most recent article on the Fenwick Redevelopment.

http://spacingatlantic.ca/2010/03/08...nt-in-halifax/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 12:05 AM

there was an article in allnovascotia today stating the city has advised the developer that their intentions to amend the LUB may take up to 2 years, which seems to be long, but it does take considerable time to process a LUB.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 3:12 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
there was an article in allnovascotia today stating the city has advised the developer that their intentions to amend the LUB may take up to 2 years, which seems to be long, but it does take considerable time to process a LUB.
This seems like a long term development though, given how the developer has continued to renovate and rent the building... so I think there a better economic timeline to get the ammendments passed and not go bankrupt.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
This seems like a long term development though, given how the developer has continued to renovate and rent the building... so I think there a better economic timeline to get the ammendments passed and not go bankrupt.
True enough, but any substainal improvement to the building requires the building to be brought to todays codes. Herein lies the issue as it would be extremely costly without the increase development footprint.

In the end, even with delays, it could be uneconomical.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
True enough, but any substainal improvement to the building requires the building to be brought to todays codes. Herein lies the issue as it would be extremely costly without the increase development footprint.

In the end, even with delays, it could be uneconomical.
So what is the solution? Tear it down? The developers are trying to do something positive for the HRM by refurbishing an eyesore and bring it up to code by adding an additional stairway. Do you think that after spending millions for this building that it would be fair to force the developers into bankruptcy by having this process drag out for years. The HRM councillors should be treating developers like customers who should be appreciated and pampered, not harassed.

Is this democracy? The residents were overwhelmingly in favour of this project. Once again the South End anti-development forces strike.

PS: The developers could simply fix this up without doing anything additional, such as add a second stairway, since this was approved decades ago as it is.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Is this democracy? The residents were overwhelmingly in favour of this project. Once again the South End anti-development forces strike
I've grown up and lived in the south end my whole life and I find you're blind labeling of the south end as anti development in this thread and the City Centre thread as ignorant and rather annoying. Yes, its unfortunate the Pacey's and the rest of the Heritage Trust sideshow predominately have peninsular addresses but they are in the minority. It's just they have the time to make this obstructionism their fulltime job. Most people around here favor development and realize it is for the betterment of the city.

As far as this development is concerned I hardly feel its the South-End putting the kybosh to it, besides a few neighbors who may object to new buildings encroaching on their land. I think the city has embraced this project as Fenwick Place has been considered an eyesore and sometimes the brunt of jokes for some years now. It sounds like the delay is due to the scope of the project because it will require some amendments from the city, and from what I've seen of Templelton Properties they don't move very fast either, and are probably making sure they have all their ducks in a row before they proceed.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I've grown up and lived in the south end my whole life and I find you're blind labeling of the south end as anti development in this thread and the City Centre thread as ignorant and rather annoying. Yes, its unfortunate the Pacey's and the rest of the Heritage Trust sideshow predominately have peninsular addresses but they are in the minority. It's just they have the time to make this obstructionism their fulltime job. Most people around here favor development and realize it is for the betterment of the city.
I agree with what you are saying. My apologies to South Enders who do not fit my stereotype. My real problem is with the minority who seem to have power far in excess of their numbers. This is not how democracy works.

With regards to Fenwick Towers I know for a fact that one councilor would like to see it torn down.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post

With regards to Fenwick Towers I know for a fact that one councilor would like to see it torn down.
thats ridiculous tearing it down would take incredibly long it is the tallest building in the city, and look at the area its in
you really think they would want to listen to that for as long as it takes to take it down.
no, i think this redevelopment is definitely the best way to go it has so many positives and will pay off in the long run.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:05 PM

Two developments cleared to proceed in metro
Doug Cogswell Mar 10, 2010 07:05:18 AM
Be the first to Comment 0 Recommendation(s) Two separate development projects will be taking the next step in the downtown.

City Hall unanimously agreed to allow development plans for Fenwick Tower proposal to enter the public initiation stage.

Councillor Sue Uteck explains.

"The community was comfortable to initiate staff to say 'let's have the support and go forward,'" she said. "There will always be changes somewhere along the line, but I think in the end it could be a win-win for the neighbourhood. There might be changes or there might be no changes."

The proposal has two additional buildings flanking Fenwick Tower, ground-level shops as well as apartments and townhouses.

The contentious plan to develop the City Centre Atlantic building on Spring Garden Road also got a green light during council's meeting yesterday afternoon.

Councillor Dawn Sloane explains council has agreed to send the proposed development of the City Centre Atlantic building to a public hearing.

"At this point in time there are individuals who live in Heritage Way, which is a condo corporation on the north side of the development block. It was phase two of the actual development that happened there," she said. "City Centre Atlantic was number one then of course it was Heritage Way and this is the third phase."

She says a lot of people in Heritage Way argue the development will ruin their view.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Two developments cleared to proceed in metro
Doug Cogswell Mar 10, 2010 07:05:18 AM
Two separate development projects will be taking the next step in the downtown.

City Hall unanimously agreed to allow development plans for Fenwick Tower proposal to enter the public initiation stage.

Councillor Sue Uteck explains.

"The community was comfortable to initiate staff to say 'let's have the support and go forward,'" she said. "There will always be changes somewhere along the line, but I think in the end it could be a win-win for the neighbourhood. There might be changes or there might be no changes."

The proposal has two additional buildings flanking Fenwick Tower, ground-level shops as well as apartments and townhouses.
Thank you Sue Utech.
Quote:
The contentious plan to develop the City Centre Atlantic building on Spring Garden Road also got a green light during council's meeting yesterday afternoon.

Councillor Dawn Sloane explains council has agreed to send the proposed development of the City Centre Atlantic building to a public hearing.
This is what gets me. Why does it require a public hearing? It is the third phase of a development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth