HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 4:46 PM

Prime example of Dullville...

So this is what is being proposed for the North Gulch on Church Street across from Nashville Gas... 376 upscale apartment units and close to 9K square feet of retail space...

In contrast, the Sail Condo Building in Toronto that I posted is 18 stories and will have 179 condos...

The Nashville proposal is boring, uninspiring and to me a waste given the prominence of the property it sits on. It's a design that you can see ANYWHERE in America over and over again. Similar buildings already exist in Nashville and others similar to it are being proposed. I'd rather see such a design on Main Street in east Nashville or Nolensville Rd in south Nashville or Charlotte Pike in west Nashville. Not on Church Street in the North Gulch. This is not an infill site. At least not to me. This proposal has more of an infill quality not a marque building as one enters from midtown into the North Gulch of downtown.

Oh well, enjoy the read from the Tennessean...
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ents/27290135/

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 5:22 PM

The biggest problem is that area isn't very eye catching anyways. You have a Hustler, NES HQ, a dairy, and frontage roads on both sides and immediately after passing the site headed into downtown is a long overpass over the Gulch. If TDOT and the city were planning to deck it like Dallas did with Klyde Warren over the Woodall Rogers Fwy, then I could see something better.

It's not great but I also don't hate it because it uses a rundown site that is an eyesore.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:07 PM

$100M Mixed-use project planned for near Brentwood

From the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...wood/27348295/

If built should be a nice suburban office building.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:23 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post

From the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...wood/27348295/

If built should be a nice suburban office building.
It will be on top of a very prominent hill next to I-65. They will get 20+ floors of impact out of a 10 story building.

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:48 PM

Another suburban office and major Health Care Industry HQ in Nashville. Per the Nashville Business Journal

CHS (Community Health Care) will locate its HQ offices and 1,600 well paid jobs to the developing Oldacre McDonald site in the Antioch area of southeastern Nashville along I-24. This helps reverse the flight of corporate HQ's to other nearby Counties and Cities.

A site map

A location map

And a rendering....

The significance is, that while not a spectacular proposal, they are staying in Nashville-Davidson County.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 3:12 PM

Another Sunday morning doodle....

the SoBro District projected development...

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
And a rendering....

The significance is, that while not a spectacular proposal, they are staying in Nashville-Davidson County.
I agree that it is not a spectacular design and is good that they are staying in Nashville-Davidson county. I'm just glad it's out in Antioch. It want be so blah out there. Although when Bridgestone moves downtown, want they leave a pretty nice office building empty at Highland Ridge that would be much nicer as a corporate headquarters?

Last edited by PillowTalk4; May 18, 2015 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 12:44 PM

Lifeway looking at SoBro

According to an article in the Business Journal, Lifeway is now looking at property in SoBro to build it's new headquarters. So, they've decided to stay in the central business district of Nashville. I thought since they were only occupying one third of a 1.2 million square foot building they probably would relocate outside of downtown. Apparently they are looking at property located at 1st Ave & KVB. They also announced that Gresham Smith & Partners has been hired to work on the new headquarters. The article stated that the property located at 1st Ave and KVB is zoned for a building up to 30 stories.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it's probably safe to say that Lifeway will not be looking to build a 20-30 story building. I suspect they will be looking to build in the 500K-600K square foot range, unless they intend to build more with the intent of leasing out space. So, I have mixed feelings about them considering that site when there are other sites in SoBro and outside of downtown that probably would meet their needs. Seems like the North Gulch, Midtown (north of Broadway/West End over to Charlotte Pike) and even Metro Center would be good locations for their headquarters.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...obro-site.html

Last edited by PillowTalk4; May 18, 2015 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 10:06 PM
Future God

Yeah, while I'm pleased with their decision to sell their downtown campus to an ambitious developer and also relocate within the city, I can't help but feel like the prime location they're looking will wind up being wasted. It might be the most prime available lot in the city. It's right by the river and the new park, it's on KVB and near the MCC, and has a great view of the skyline, and yet, we'll probably end up with a nine story box. Sigh.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 6:41 PM

BnaBreaker, I agree. I think it's too much of a prime piece of real estate to end up with a 5-6 story box. MDHA should have requirements for that property before they sell it. I'm also concerned about GSP being chosen the designer. I'm generally unimpressed with their designs. At least those in Nashville. Now, if they decide to do something unique like their design of the Opera House they did in China (click on link: http://digitalchase.com/GreshamSmith...op&Anchor=.jpg then I might be onboard with something that doesn't soar to 20-30 stories. But I don't see them offering anything that innovative for an office building in Nashville.

In other news... The Tennessean had a breaking news story today that work on the Southern Land Green Hills project will resume.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ling/27579851/

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 10:24 PM
Future God

Yeah, Gresham Smith clearly is capable of jaw-dropping design, but it seems that for whatever reason, they save it for China. I guess it's not their fault that most of the developers in their home town that hire them have relatively shallow pockets. They also designed the 700+ foot tall Zhongrong Jasper Tower in Shanghai, which proves that they are not only capable of cutting-edge design, but also cutting-edge skyscraper design as well:

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; May 20, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:30 AM
Future God

MDHA approves the design of 505...groundbreaking expected by year's end:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...scraper_design

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:59 AM

Kind of odd to call that a "groundbreaking"...

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 4:11 AM

Another 'enhanced' render.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:28 PM

Crane is up for 1818 Church Street and crane for Thompson Hotel is going up today.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 9:55 PM

New design incorporates Stock-Yard building into project

Another seen it before design, but I guess it's a good filler for the area...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ject/27660419/

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:46 AM

The modestly sized, but brilliantly located 'Gulch Crossings/Raymond James Building' in the Gulch district (nearly complete).

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 23, 2015 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:54 AM

The crane for the 12 story, Thompson Hotel, also in the Gulch.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:04 AM

This will give you an idea of the 'gulchiness' of the Gulch. The recently opened, 23 story '12/12' condos are on the left.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
This will give you an idea of the 'gulchiness' of the Gulch. The recently opened, 23 story '12/12' condos are on the left.

It would be so nice if Nashville had underground utilities everywhere. I know it's expensive and I believe as development takes place they are doing just that, but man the utility lines really obstruct and take away from the view in that picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations