HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Souvlocke had a really nice back patio -- intimate, large trees.

I guess Undefined lives up to their name.
Apparently Undefined has had some issues with homophobia and racism. The Hamilton food scene may be improving, but it's culture in the food industry isn't.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:18 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Apparently Undefined has had some issues with homophobia and racism. The Hamilton food scene may be improving, but it's culture in the food industry isn't.
That is sad.

I don't know the sexual orientations of our waiter or the manager who came out to say hello. But that does not matter. Both were really friendly and welcoming, the service was great, and the food was fantastic.

People.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:15 PM

Brux House is quite good (beer selection, food, quality for $). Before the pandemic they had a multi-option kids menu too (now I think it's one option).

Earth to Table is a staple for consistency and price.

The Burnt Tongue for those cold days and hearty soup (and awesome grilled tomato, pesto sandwich).

Really want to try CIMA, but always seems closed.

Finally had Lo Presti's and definitely recommend for quality, service and general experience for a celebratory meal.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 10:26 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Earth to Table is a staple for consistency and price.
I hope that's true, as it looks like a great spot. Unfortunately, my only experience with it was disappointing. A couple weeks ago I picked up a Margherita for takeout and it was terrible. The crust was chewy like rubber and the sauce was bland. Hopefully that was just a one-off.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I hope that's true, as it looks like a great spot. Unfortunately, my only experience with it was disappointing. A couple weeks ago I picked up a Margherita for takeout and it was terrible. The crust was chewy like rubber and the sauce was bland. Hopefully that was just a one-off.
Unfortunately a lot of places like this aren't really great for take out. Much of the food is designed to be eaten right away without humidity. On top of that cooking style, often these restaurants don't properly package food to be shipped for take out.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Unfortunately a lot of places like this aren't really great for take out. Much of the food is designed to be eaten right away without humidity. On top of that cooking style, often these restaurants don't properly package food to be shipped for take out.
I've personally eaten at least a hundred of bread bar pizzas and can definitely attest to the fact that they are meant to be eaten fresh out of the oven in all their glory but if you have to take them home and eat them say 30 minutes after they came out of the oven then they are not the same pizza. It could also have been an off day, every restaurant gets those on occasion.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 4:37 AM
Ham-burgher

CIMA tends to be open longer later in the week, and like many places it's closed or has limited hours Monday to Wednesday. Great apps, and their pizzas are quite good too.
EDIT: looks like they're closed Sunday-Monday, and don't open until 5 the other nights. You used be able to get lunch and afternoon service though; we went there a few times in summer 2020 for that. They must still be on reduced hours.

Sorry to hear about the Bread Bar. But we've had mixed results there even when dining in the restaurant. Last time was amazing (and I had one of the pizzas) but the time before much less so.

There is now a Pizzaiolo on Locke. We have yet to try, but I used to get a couple slices when I worked at University and Dundas in Toronto, and they were pretty good.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Oct 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:44 PM

I think I've said this in this thread before, but the Bread Bar on Locke (and Guelph) is leaps and bounds better than the Bread Bar on James.

I work in 12 James N, above the Bread Bar and the pizza always sucks at that location. Soggy and undercooked in the middle, 50% of the pizza needs to essentially be eaten with a spoon. That goes for both in-person and take-out over 100+ visits (it's our go to when we need a simple, no-effort, company funded lunch).

Capri is always my preference for good pizza in the core.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 3:10 PM

Flora Pizzeria at 4 Young St. for a different kind of take-out pizza slice. They use a sour-dough combo and offer some great toppings. Two young guys that are passionate about food.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 4:19 PM

Good to hear Flora hits the mark. I have followed along on instagram since it opened and looks like a solid simple pizza line up with the odd salad or fresh made pasta (which I'd love to try).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Some new places have opened up in the International Village over the past year, outlined in this Spec story (not all are food, but most). With all the condos going up nearby, they should do well.

International Village’s year of change: A ‘new energy’ on King Street East

https://www.thespec.com/business/202...l-village.html

By Jeremy Kemeny
The Hamilton Spectator
Thu., Oct. 21, 2021

Gastro Market, at 193 King St. E.: a "high quality, sustainable" "produce market/takeout counter"

The Nuts Factory, at 195 King St. E.: "sells coffee beans, spices and preserves ... but mostly nuts"

The North Fork Eatery and Bar, at 215 King St. E.: "a pub boasting partnerships with local farmers, breweries and wineries"

Shuyi Tealicious, at 217 King St. E.: "a bubble tea chain from China with over 10,000 locations worldwide"

Cat and Bell Co., at 223 King St. E.: "a marketplace and studio featuring animal prints, pottery, stuffed animals, jewelry and more, by various artists"
(no image)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:32 PM

Nuts Factory is cool, useful for people who like nuts in general or incorporated into snacks, salads, or food. High quality nuts.

Pretty underwhelmed by the Gastro Market (had one of their featured sandwiches and the best thing about it was the bun), pizza was marginally better but don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

The North Fork has an interesting motif and might try out down the road.

The Village is ripe for food, microbreweries or brew pubs, etc., with the amount of people coming soon and free advertising of the LRT whizzing by your store front.

The Spectator should have highlighted "One For All Coffee + Desserts,' that place is awesome, one of the best coffee shops in the city. High level of detail went into this shop. Always love talking with the owners. Seriously go and try not to be blown away by the coffee, pastries and knowledge of the drip.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:29 PM

From the Downtown Hamilton Business Improvement Area a new restaurant has recently opened in James St. N.

249616313_4340070186030663_6442328227393552196_n by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:15 PM

"Hamilton’s newest bar will offer an out-of-this world experience"
via: inthehammer - November 17, 2021

https://www.insauga.com/hamiltons-ne...of-this-world-
experience/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:27 PM

"The secret ingredients behind Dolled Up Desserts"
via: The Silhouette - November 18, 2021

https://www.thesil.ca/the-secret-ing...ed-up-desserts

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:19 PM

Had Flora, it's awesome and one of my favourite pizza joints already in the city. Definitely a top quartile pizza. Two young owners who are passionate about quality and flavour. Also have a feature pasta dish and some desserts.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Had Flora, it's awesome and one of my favourite pizza joints already in the city. Definitely a top quartile pizza. Two young owners who are passionate about quality and flavour. Also have a feature pasta dish and some desserts.

Then I'll be hitting that for sure, thx!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:29 AM

Hi peeps, I'm just wondering i anyone on here has been to the "The North Fork" mentioned a little further up. I'm going this Friday for my 40th Birthday. Its seems pretty good, just wondering if any of you have experienced it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Hi peeps, I'm just wondering i anyone on here has been to the "The North Fork" mentioned a little further up. I'm going this Friday for my 40th Birthday. Its seems pretty good, just wondering if any of you have experienced it.
Happy Birthday

Not yet, but I too am going for the first time this Thursday, for my birthday

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:45 PM

U.S. fast-food chain Church’s Texas Chicken targets six Hamilton locations

Jeremy Kemeny The Hamilton Spectator Mon., Nov. 22, 2021

U.S.-based fast-food chain Church’s Texas Chicken is expanding in Ontario, with six Hamilton franchise locations targeted for 2022.

The company, known as Church’s Chicken in the U.S., has grown in Canada from a single Toronto restaurant in 2017, to 46 franchises nationally — though none yet in the Hamilton area.

The first of the new Hamilton restaurant locations is expected to open as early as April, said Russ Sumrall, senior vice-president of international strategic development at Church's.

Sumrall, who spoke to The Spectator from the restaurant chain’s newest international location in Doha, Qatar, said the company’s confidence in Hamilton is based off the success of their Ontario franchises.

Canada wasn’t on the fried chicken company’s radar just a few years ago, but now, he said, it is an area of fast growth.

Sumrall was thrilled about “pent-up desire” for new Church’s franchise locations, hampered only by the company’s lengthy franchisee and location screening process, as well as “pandemic-related supply chain issues.”

By the end of 2022, the company expects to have Hamilton franchises in up to six areas: downtown at Jackson Square; Centre on Barton; Centennial Parkway at the QEW; Centennial Parkway and Mud Street East; Upper Ottawa Street and Rymal; and in the area of King and Kenilworth. Four of these are already approved.

The company, starting in San Antonio, Texas, in 1952, has over 1,700 restaurants in 27 countries, as of Friday’s opening in Qatar.

https://www.thespec.com/business/202...locations.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation