HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:43 PM

Park and Rides! In Ottawa, all P&Rs are surface lots, with the exception of space rented in a mall parking structure in Olreans. Acres and acres of asphalt for your viewing pleasure. 9,000 free spaces (and a few hundred "gold permit" spaces closer to bus stops.

http://www.transitottawa.ca/2011/09/...eson-park.html

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...in-trim-ottawa

https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederat...place-dorleans

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:33 PM
I am the law!

going off tangent...

1925 parking garage converted to condos in the early 1980s.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6518...7i16384!8i8192

unfortunately, the facade was replaced. I probably would have been cleaned and repaired if built now.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/00...dc74805aec.jpg

You wouldn't know it was a parking garage by looking at it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 12:37 PM

The first image shows parking lots and brown fields that don't have an official approved development, west of the Rideau Canal.

The second image shows the same for Hull, but includes lots with official proposals (minus Zibi which is continuously u/c).

Thanks to Ottawa forumer Harley for the great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Here is a VERY quick sketch of empty lots which are not currently being developed, lots that do not have an approved future development, and all surface parking lots of notable size.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff but you get the general idea.

I'm having trouble seeing how Gatineau is especially 'filled with dusty parking lots'.

[IMG]Ottawa by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Gatineau by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 2:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Aug 31, 2020 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 7:35 PM

^ Is that Kanata?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^ Is that Kanata?
A small part of it. There is that again (minus the arena) to the right of the photo, and then another similar amount basically under and behind the camera location.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.30663.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:20 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
That first Laval photo is a perfect example of what's wrong with the suburbs. The residential area is actually pretty dense and could probably support some walkable neighbourhood businesses. But instead it's set up so that everyone needs to drive to the big box store just a few hundred metres away.
My sister in law lives right behind that mess. It made me laugh, because that was the first place I thought of before clicking on the thread.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:26 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Just to the right of that photo is the shopping oasis known as Tanger Outlets, with complementary Cabela's and Princess Auto.

https://goo.gl/maps/CFFJWGdRyY4m2ZTG6

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Princess Auto: A Unique World of Horribleness.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

The cancer is spreading, to one of my former hometowns:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Dead times at the Waste Edmonton Mall

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:44 PM

^ It's a massive parking lot but you have to give them credit for mitigating the footprint somewhat by using parking decks. They also didn't go whole hog with the number of spaces that are available either... I went there on a weekday last spring and it was a bit of a struggle to find a parking space, which is a good sign IMO. It could have been a lot worse.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 8:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Every Canadian city has pockets of horribly soul-sucking large parking lots. It is a symptom of the fact that our cities are designed first-and-foremost for automobiles, not for people.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:39 PM

That parking lot to the north is also building out. apparently a new hotel.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:08 PM

Posted on the Public Realm thread, but fits well here as well.

The proposed parking garage at the new Ottawa Civic Hospital Campus at Dow's Lake, to be built over a surface parking lot, Queen Juliana Park and O-Train Line 2.

Lots of opposition with people calling to bury parking, which could cost at least an extra $200 million. With the lake nearby, and the O-Train running through the site, burying the parking would be a huge challenge and still require cutting down existing trees. Due to the bedrock in the area, even private developers are building above ground parking within the podiums of their towers to avoid digging deeper than necessary.

The parking garage will feature a roof-top park to replace the existing, along with a tennis club, again replace an existing tennis club which will be displaced by the hospital. It will have a direct connection to Dow's Lake Station, likely via an overhead walkway (climate controlled, to the new Civic).

The lot will have 2,500 spots for hospital visitors and Dow's Lake. Hospital staff will have their own parking behind the hospital itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Not sure if these have been posted anywhere here, but here's a few more renderings of the parking garage

Arguments against the parking aside, the natural materials and landscaping around the edges look interesting at least.

I can't help but think of London's failed mid-century elevated walkway plan, where they created a whole pedestrian pathway system away from traffic but it didn't get much traction because it was cumbersome to access and seldom the most efficient way to get places. It's slightly different in the context of a park, but who is going to climb 4 story's to sit on a bench in some green space when across the street there's a huge park at grade? IMO it would make more sense to have the entire top area dedicated to community/sports facilities and lean on Commissionaires or the arboretum to fulfil the traditional park role.

Images from the last two "Checkpoints", monthly newsletters from the Ottawa Hospital on the project. https://newcivicdevelopment.ca/news/

Since the original designs came out, they see to have added a partial berm and more trees, along with the relocated tennis club. In my view, this should become a cool feature in the area, a new destination with good views. With the City seemingly leanings towards an overhead walkway to connect Dow's Lake Station with the hospital, via an indoor link on top of the garage, the park should be very accessible between that and the ramp. Just need to promote it, provide programming, maybe a restaurant or small bistro.

[/url]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:02 PM

Video about downtown parking in the U.S.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:51 PM

I've never had a problem with downtown parking garages and they can actually add to urban vitality. It encourages people from outside the city to visit downtown because transit is not available. They are going to have to come to the city for a variety of reasons and, if for shopping/restaurants they SHOULD have the option of big box or downtown but if there is no where to park downtown then they are really FORCED to do their activities in the suburbs where they can park. I'm a classic example of that. I live in the suburbs and there is passable transit but I NEVER take transit and hence I VERY rarely go to downtown Vancouver because there is no where to park and if you do find a place, you end up paying more for your parking than you do for your dinner.

Parking GARAGES, as we have seen, can actually be quite attractive and pedestrian friendly with businesses at street level and vastly more so than most of our sterile bank and corporate office towers. What I hate are parking LOTS which segregate the downtown, make it esthetically unpleasant, creates little revenue for the city thru taxes, and is a horrific waste of space that is desperately needed for housing.

No matter how good the transit system and how dense the city, we are ALWAYS going to need parking and yes that even includes the downtown. The issue is not the number of parking spots but rather the amount of land that they consume.

Last edited by ssiguy; Jun 9, 2023 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:54 PM

^ Reasonable take. Often on this forum there is a hardline "any parking is bad parking" mindset but I don't think that approach serves downtown areas well. There should be room set aside for parking, but the key is to make it efficient. Instead of a surface lot that holds 100 cars, put up a parking structure that can hold 500 cars. And ideally with some commercial space on the main level, to better integrate with the streetscape.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:31 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Parking garages make parking more efficient in terms of the number of vehicles a particular parcel of land can hold. But it also is much more expensive per car since multi-story parking structures are far costlier to build and maintain than surface lots. Plus they lock in the land use making it harder to redevelop the land in the future.

I think it's pretty fair to say that downtown parking is indeed "bad" even if it's tough to fully eliminate it. Space tends to be very limited in a city centre with lots of competing priorities, and cars are just not an efficient use case in such a setting. Necessary evils are still evils after all.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:48 PM
I am the law!

A paved surface parking spot costs $200 to build. A parking spot in a structured garage costs $25,000. One of the points made was balking at the cost of parking being as much as dinner. The cost to construct has to be recouped. The same angst from unfamiliarity of parallel parking exists with structured parking garages. I have met so many that would circle a block over and over again looking for a surface parking space then parking in a convenient, available parking garage.

Depends on the downtown. Downtown Toronto has a large population with limited road capacities that are actually being reduce as the population grows. There's still a rationale to drive opposed to other means as a family of four. However, it's going to be a frustrating endeavour and it probably should be a little frustrating to promote alternative modes and encourages a lifestyle that leads to downtown population growth.

Not being able to drive conveniently downtown and find convenient low cost parking is not removing the option to visit downtown from your usual neighbourhood haunts. To think it is is just being inflexible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada