HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:08 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Iconic Portland jazz club lands a new home

A 12-story apartment building may be pushing longtime jazz club Jimmy Mak's out of its home on Northwest 10th Avenue, but the tunes won't go silent for long.

The club, which has been in its space at 221 N.W. 10th Avenue for the past decade, has signed a lease for 5,400 square feet of space just across the street at 228 N.W. 10th. Owner Jimmy Makarounis said the space is part of the existing Bella Furniture location; it also includes an exterior courtyard. He said build-out is under way and he's expecting to open in the new location in October or November.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:30 PM

Guess this building is ok for what it is. Wish the architect would have incorporated some type of subtle stylistic nod to the Bearing Service Co. bldg. Great news re Jimmy Mak's!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:54 AM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 7:07 PM

Drawings [PDF - 121MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 9:49 PM
A before E

It looks meh, nothing exciting, but not bad looking....actually, it looks more like something that I would expect to already be there, so I guess that is good.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Meh their all the same. Literally couple changes here and there but these 14-16 story buildings that go up in the Pearl are all the same in one form or another. Pretty boring

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 4:30 AM

I think it looks pretty cheap for being in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. The quality of architecture for the majority of the other recent projects that are propose or being built is much better.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:26 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
it looks more like something that I would expect to already be there, so I guess that is good.
My thoughts exactly. It's like The Elizabeth II, but better, thanks to the contrast of darker brick against silver metal. It looks like it belongs in The Pearl... but it also looks like it should have a name along the lines of The Anthony, The Leslie, or The Cassandra.

If the metal looks good, it'll look good, and that's my hope, because if the metal looks cheap, it's look CHEAP.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's like The Elizabeth II, but better, thanks to the contrast of darker brick against silver metal. It looks like it belongs in The Pearl... but it also looks like it should have a name along the lines of The Anthony, The Leslie, or The Cassandra.

If the metal looks good, it'll look good, and that's my hope, because if the metal looks cheap, it's look CHEAP.
My thought is why aren't there already buildings in the Pearl named these names. They all sound like names that belong to buildings there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
My thought is why aren't there already buildings in the Pearl named these names. They all sound like names that belong to buildings there.
There's that Gehry building in Germany called Fred and Ginger, right? How about a Fred and Carrie here in Portlandia?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
There's that Gehry building in Germany called Fred and Ginger, right? How about a Fred and Carrie here in Portlandia?
That Fred & Ginger building is in Prague. I think Portland might get a dose of whimsy with the Fair-haired Dumbbell but the lack of architectural edge in this city is deeply depressing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:12 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
How about a Fred and Carrie here in Portlandia?
Dear god, no. He's a New Yorker, she's now in Los Angeles, and our city would be better off if that show had never happened. That show turned Portland into a parody of itself, and it inspired too many doe eyed idiots to move here to be part of the parody by imitating the exaggerations they'd seen on TV.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:02 AM

I find it interesting that the consensus on here is that this building is bland, boring, or conservative... and yet the most adventurous and daring building of recent memory in Portland was also roundly criticized on this forum.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:46 AM

I like it actually - just long as the metal doesn't come out looking like what was used on th NV.

The brick is a HUGE improvement over the first design.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:24 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I like it actually - just long as the metal doesn't come out looking like what was used on th NV.

The brick is a HUGE improvement over the first design.
I agree. I like it too, especially for The Pearl. Like I said, and again in agreement with Sioux, I just hope the metal doesn't end up looking cheap.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:

Thank John Carroll for that one... Eliot, Elizabeth, Gregory, McKenzie & now Dianne - are names of people who are important to him...his kids/relatives.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:29 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
Thank John Carroll for that one... Eliot, Elizabeth, Gregory, McKenzie & now Dianne - are names of people who are important to him...his kids/relatives.
That makes sense, and also not surprising. I have found that to be a better option than giving every building those names that sound corporate where it is all the same name with a different number after it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 10:01 AM

Latest drawings [PDF - 12MB].

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland