HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 1:29 AM

Gossamer (Modera Davis) | 133 feet | 12 floors | Complete

-------------------------

Original Post:

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for a building at 205 NW 10th Ave. This one saddens me.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for a building at 205 NW 10th Ave. This one saddens me.
The site outline shows three of the building there on 10th coming down. Not the EuroCar building at 10th and Everett. But the three that include Kush Rugs, the printer next door and Jimmy Maks(!). Jimmy Maks moved there from the spot where Life of Riley is about 10 years ago so I assume their lease is up.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:55 AM

That Eurocar building has been vacant for years and IT survives?! Amazing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:44 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
I don't understand why this saddens you. Those three single story buildings are not remarkable in any way, and adding 11-14 stories of housing on that site seems like a great thing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:08 AM

One of the charms of the Pearl District is the juxtaposition of low rise former industrial buildings with new high rises. While I don't mourn the loss of Jim Stevens autobody or the PNCA Goodman building, the building Kush handmade rugs is in is quite handsome. (Much better looking IMHO than the badly proportioned Temple building, which you seem to be in favor of keeping.) And unlike the Temple building or the Ballou & Wright building on NW 17th, these are building that actually have a viable ongoing use today. I'd much sooner see the FAR transferred off them and used somewhere else in the Pearl. Even in the southern Pearl there are still some undeveloped sites that a 14 story (or taller) building could theoretically go on.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:26 AM

Quote:
One of the charms of the Pearl District is the juxtaposition of low rise former industrial buildings with new high rises.
I agree, there are many better spots for this project. I really would hate to see a monotonous line of 10-15 story residential buildings take everything over and wipe out all signs of the Pearl's gritty industrial origins. And hopefully jimmy maks finds yet another nearby spot!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 9:11 AM

Quote:
While I don't mourn the loss of Jim Stevens autobody or the PNCA Goodman building, the building Kush handmade rugs is in is quite handsome...I'd much sooner see the FAR transferred off them and used somewhere else in the Pearl.
Completely agree.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 10:41 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
One of the charms of the Pearl District is the juxtaposition of low rise former industrial buildings with new high rises. While I don't mourn the loss of Jim Stevens autobody or the PNCA Goodman building, the building Kush handmade rugs is in is quite handsome. (Much better looking IMHO than the badly proportioned Temple building, which you seem to be in favor of keeping.) And unlike the Temple building or the Ballou & Wright building on NW 17th, these are building that actually have a viable ongoing use today. I'd much sooner see the FAR transferred off them and used somewhere else in the Pearl. Even in the southern Pearl there are still some undeveloped sites that a 14 story (or taller) building could theoretically go on.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree for the most part. But there are already more attractive low rise industrial buildings immediately to the north (Eurocar) and west (Deschutes Brewing) as well as the Armory directly across the street. The Kush/Jimmy Macs site is, IMO, ideal for that very sort of juxtaposition you're talking about.

And yes, I'm absolutely in favor of saving both the Temple and the Lotus/Albion for the very same reason.... the mix of old and new on that block would make for a phenomenally dynamic proposal. Far superior to the jumbled mess of new construction they're trying to shove though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:29 PM

I'll regret the loss of those minor fabric buildings, too. Individually, they don't mean that much, but they contribute immensely to the sense of a real city with variegated uses and street presence. It's hard to imagine the Pearl succeeding in the beginning without them although it has gotten to this point where its success is now self-sustaining. Still, in an ideal world, the balance would be preserved. Pearl will be less interesting without this proper mix.

The Temple building could perform a similar function in its mostly burned-over urban district. I think the building by itself is flawed, but wonderfully so. It's alive if only in the phosphorescence of its decay. I don't think it has to pass some test of architectural virtue to contribute to a livelier urban fabric. Old buildings are the scaffolding of transformation. Think of any wonderful city and they all have these ineffable qualities - great street presence, a mix of uses, and a vital conversation between the old and new.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:08 PM

I also really like the Kush building. Yet another example of where I wish our city had some kind of facade-retention credit for new buildings. Keeping the facade with a taller, new building stepped back above it would be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:21 PM

205 NW 10th | x feet | x floors | Proposed

SERA Architects have requested Design Advice for a project at 205 NW 10th Ave:

Quote:
Type III Design Review for a proposed new 11-14 story residential building with ground-floor retail and 96 below grade parking spaces.
(This was discussed briefly in the Pearl thread last month.)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 11:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
SERA Architects have requested Design Advice for a project at 205 NW 10th Ave:

(This was discussed briefly in the Pearl thread last month.)
Unfortunately a nice little brick building will go down for this, but it should make for a good mediocre infill (can we call this infill?) building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 12:21 AM

As expected Jimmy Mack's is going, too bad. Aside from Deschutes, The rest of the block will be developed very soon as well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 2:31 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Pearl View Post
As expected Jimmy Mack's is going, too bad. Aside from Deschutes, The rest of the block will be developed very soon as well.
Jimmy Mack's is going? Why?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Jimmy Mack's is going? Why?
According to the previous discussion on this project, the proposed building includes the Jimmy Mack's building. Hopefully Jimmy Mack's finds a new home nearby.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 5:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
According to the previous discussion on this project, the proposed building includes the Jimmy Mack's building. Hopefully Jimmy Mack's finds a new home nearby.
Oh sad, I thought this was just gonna be a quarter block building. That would definitely be a real Portland loss.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 6:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Didn't Jimmy Mack's move around... uhm... 10 years ago? Hopefully, they'll find a new location nearby and move again.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Didn't Jimmy Mack's move around... uhm... 10 years ago? Hopefully, they'll find a new location nearby and move again.
Yep. Hopefully they do again. A Portland institution.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Iconic Jimmy Mak’s Jazz Club Will Be Redeveloped Into Apartments

Mak's will keep swinging through at least July—and is looking at spaces nearby for a possible move.

The building housing Jimmy Mak's jazz bar has been sold to a developer, owner Jimmy Makarounis tells WW.

"The timelines are still not firm," writes Makarounis, "and we are looking at various locations for our new space. There is a space across the street that we are considering, but it's too early to say if this location will definitely work."

Makarounis was one of the owners of the building that houses Jimmy Mak's. Terms of the deal are subject to a non-disclosure agreement, he says.

Jimmy Mak's has been not just a jazz mainstay for the last 20 years, but a bulwark—the place talents like Mel Brown, and now his son, Christopher, can be given residencies and allowed to thrive.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:37 PM

Drawings [PDF - 8MB]. Now includes the Eurocar building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland