HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:41 AM

I wish I had a picture of this from Mt Tabor. It was boring during the Soapbox Derby.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It is very difficult (impossible?) to do a completely clear glass building under today's energy codes. The closest you can get is a mix of clear and spandrel glass, with insulation behind the spandrel glass. This is what they're doing at Cosmopolitan. In some lights it's difficult to see the difference between the clear and spandrel glass; in other lights the difference is pretty noticeable.

From the renders of the NV I incorrectly assumed that they were using spandrel glass at the floor slabs. Looking through the Design Review drawings I see that it is indeed grey painted metal panel.
This isn't really answering you directly, but rather more informational for others, as I suspect you know most of it:

Yes. Near impossible. That's why when you see Cosmo from the Fremont it looks like a giant tower of tinfoil when it reflects the sky. The glass has to be so reflective. Same as Ladd Tower or Atwater. Backlit at dusk it will look great though.

The sheer cost of curtain wall verses window wall or framed wall w/punched windows is a huge consideration. It starts at over $80.00 a square foot for a Benson Industries equivalent such as Allen or a Chinese sourced system (What you see on 12West, Park Avenue West, Cosmopolitan are likely Benson...at more than $80 bucks). Compare that to $50 for a window wall (Toro or similar, like on NV, part of the Strand, Benson Tower or The Civic), there's a huge delta to cover in the building budget. Cosmo can afford it with $800/sf average sale prices. Most projects now, cannot.

As for the energy code, baseline target is about 30% total building glazing to make it through a prescriptive path analysis. Doesn't sound like much, does it? It isn't. That's why many buildings look like they have such small windows. Most developers target this threshold, as exceeding the prescriptive path limits requires a trade-off approach or even more time and money consuming... a whole building 'modeled' analysis. This takes a surprising amount of the aforementioned 'time and money', and is more subjective (Ironic considering it's still ultimately applied math) ergo, less surety. It can certainly jeopardize a project schedule and a budget. Partuicularly when the analyzer concludes differently than expected.

Of note, I recall a spandrel curtain wall gets you about an R4 value in insulation so it still often requires a stud wall cavity behind with inboard insulation or rigid exterior insulation to assist in meeting code. More $.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:41 AM

I really like the shingles. The way they catch the light is really beautiful, and my photos don't do them justice. I'm less emanored with the window wall system. The grey metal is close enough in color to the shingles for the difference to look accidental.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:05 AM

I like the shingles - in isolation. They are interesting looking and change with the light.

I'm not sure they are a good idea for such a tall building. These shingles seem like a good solution for a 2-4 story building although I'm not sure they will hold up at 20+ stories.

More important to me the vertical strip of reflective shingles feels random and disconnected - they have no relationship to the rest of the exterior cladding, and so far little or no relationship to the composition of the tower cladding and massing.

I'm ok with the grey window system - it's a bit dull although it has subtle texture, pattern and nuance. It holds together for me. The stripes of shiny shingles look like a mistake - like someone wearing a subtle and elegant dress and some huge gaudy necklace.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 2:01 AM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

Probably the most underrated tall tower going up currently in Portland

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 7:33 PM

I think the jury is still out at this point. I was never impressed by the renders, and so far the real thing is living up to those expectations. That said, it's got potential and I'm hopeful it will come together once finished.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 8:07 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I don't know. The gray exterior makes me think "When are they putting the siding on this thing? Oh, that IS what it's going to look like." The blue/purple tile looks interesting. I might like it. But the gray metal looks like it's being intentionally left unfinished - or it looks just plain cheap.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I don't know. The gray exterior makes me think "When are they putting the siding on this thing? Oh, that IS what it's going to look like." The blue/purple tile looks interesting. I might like it. But the gray metal looks like it's being intentionally left unfinished - or it looks just plain cheap.
I have to agree with you about that, the grey paneling in Portland is just going to make the building look drab for much of the year. A white paneling with the colorful tiling would have looked much better. Hopefully the tiling will stand out enough on this building to make it look much better in the end.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I have to agree with you about that, the grey paneling in Portland is just going to make the building look drab for much of the year. A white paneling with the colorful tiling would have looked much better. Hopefully the tiling will stand out enough on this building to make it look much better in the end.
I expect a building called NV to have some serious bling; I’m sure it’s coming. I don’t think the pictures capture the fishscale effect of the tiles very well – they get quite shiny and bling-y. All we need is some color-changing illumination like on the Parker and the Avenue, and we’ll have circus-colored building in no time ...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:19 AM

I REALLY like how this is looking. I thought the renderings were pretty crumby, but the dull gray color is really growing on me. I like it a lot.

It's height will say look at me but it's cladding will say no dont.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:59 AM

19 floors now

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:12 AM

Only 2 more to go, if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:43 AM

No it will be 26 floors, so 7 more.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:05 AM

The reflective metallic brick siding looks amazing from the freeway. I drive past it every morning and wow every time.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:31 PM

20 floors

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
OK, so ZGF rates rather high on the "experience" barometer, yes? Anyone believe they should be held to account for what appears to be a similar disparity between approved renderings and finished product? That building has the advantage of being overshadowed by a giant mirror two blocks away, but nonetheless seems deserving of similar scrutiny. In my humble opinion. Sorry, talking about the NV.
(Replying in this thread for the purpose of keeping on topic.)

I would say the NV is a tougher case, because although it does look a lot different to what the renderings suggest what is being installed *does* match what was approved in the Design Review drawings. I don't know what the exact legal situation is, but I imagine that the City regards the elevations as the "real" drawings, whereas the renderings are just illustrative.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:09 PM

The solution is to hire better architects.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 2:13 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
The solution is to hire better architects.
Definitely - but I also think people need to start speaking out against fantasyland renderings. I think it's wrong for architects to promote their work with images that don't represent what they're able to have built.

If a rendering represents a building that wouldn't meet energy standards as shown, or of a rendering represents a building that couldn't be built for the budget they have to work with, then the rendering is bogus and the architect needs to be called out on it.

As an example, I think the design commission needs to be careful with the two superblock project at Lloyd Center on the site of the current movie theater & parking lot. I can't help suspecting those renderings are pure fiction, though I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see something nice built there.

I wonder if part of the problem is that the tools used to create renderings have gotten so good that they're being abused.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 12:15 AM
Karma Police

All of the silver and black metallic tiles have been removed from the NV. Does anybody know why?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland