HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 10:41 PM
Community Guy

how was hamilton's june for comparison?

Edmonton's june 2007

dom-434,105 up 20.2%
trans-54,525 up 15.2%
intl 17,487 up 182.9%
------------------------
total 506,117 up 21.7%

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 1:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

I don't have any stats perhaps LikeHamilton does but it sure would be interesting to see the increase in the international area. Probably going to be the biggest increase in Canada. Went from zero international flights to having Canada's most number of transatlantic fights.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 8:09 PM

Just received this from the Hamilton International Airport's electronic newsletter.

FLYGLOBESPAN
Flyglobespan’s winter schedule takes effect on November 1, 2007

Weekly flights will operate from Hamilton International to Manchester and Glasgow on Mondays throughout the winter. Morning departures.

Weekly flights will operate from Glasgow and Manchester to Hamilton International on Sundays throughout the winter. Morning departures.

Starting November 1, flyglobespan will be operating a two class service. The new Economy class will include:

Generous seat pitch
25 kg. Luggage allowance
Full meal service
Complimentary drinks
In-flight entertainment
Seat selection – Book early and select standard seat at no charge

FLYGLOBESPAN
Flyglobespan is now operating three flights per day out of Hamilton to 13 destinations in the U.K. and Ireland. There are a limited number of seats available this summer at comparable rates to other airlines. Book through your travel agent or at
www.flyglobespan.ca

John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport

www.flyhi.ca

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:01 AM

Talking

I was at Hamilton Airport last Tuesday, and I forgot my camera again and it was packed. I was there in the late afternoon into the evening and I do not think they could have taken any more passengers through there.

All three FlyGlobespan flights arrived early and the departing ones where on time and all where full. All of the Air Canada’s Jazz and Westjet flights where on time and full. There where extra flights that day. VIA Rail had a derailment on the Trans Canada line and had charter two WestJet flights to Winnipeg to move the passenger to meet up with the train. The passengers where bussed into Hamilton Airport and both flights where full. There was also a charter with a Mexicana B737 to Mexico City that was also full. They have a charter on Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and two on Sunday. The passengers either fly into Hamilton and take the bus tour to Quebec City or fly into Quebec City and bus tour it to Hamilton and fly out of here.

The place was crawling with passengers, people dropping off and picking up passengers, airport staff etc. The parking lot and out front of the terminal was alive, with car, taxis, limos and a constant stream of busses and people. This a welcome change from a number of years ago when there where less 75 people a day going through the airport. I figured there was at least 3200 passengers going through the terminal over a few hour period. At this rate, they will have to start some kind of expansion soon!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
Closed account

you're right LikeHamilton. The biggest complaint I'm now hearing about the airport is the small size.
People are getting frustrated waiting in long lines, being crammed in like sardines etc....
the airport should address this immediately since their biggest selling point is 'hassle-free' compared with Toronto.
At some point they'll have to put up a nice, modern terminal with expansion capabilities instead of these sheds they're using.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Build a Terminal. ASAP!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 9:00 PM

The thing is, expansion has to be kept at a slow pace so as to prevent landing fees from skyrocketing. flyglobespan was attracted to Hamilton mainly due to the cheap landing fees compared to Pearson. The cost of airport expansion is always passed on to the airlines via landing fee increases, and to passengfers via airport improvement surcharges. Increases in these charges will make the airport less attractive to low cost airlines and their passengers.

The current terminal design accommodates about 15 flights a day. I believe this meets current flight levels. Of course, this is also the heavy summer travel time. Come October, flyglobespan is drastically reducing its overseas flights to just two weekly (as opposed to its current 15 weekly flights), which is a significant drop in overall traffic for this airport. Moreover, flyglobespan's expansion into long-haul flights has gone anything but smoothly this summer, so they may be a little less ambitious with next year's summer schedule.

YHM did have terminall expansion plans all drawn up a few years back, which called for two phases of terminal expansion. The first phase was to see a seven-gate rampway built (wow, imagine boarding a plane via a rampway in Hamilton!). However, these were drawn up in the heady days of 2003 when WestJet was still using Hamilton as its eastern hub. Phase one was supposed to begin in 2005, with a target completion date of 2009. Phase two, 12 additional gates, was scheduled to take place between 2010 and 2014, dependant on additional lands being acquired for displaced hangars. The plans are now two years behind schedule (typical for Hamilton projects), and, when they do start, will most likely be less ambitious in scope and timing. Should anyone know of, or have a copy of the revised expansion plans, it would be interesting to see them.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 9:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Should anyone know of, or have a copy of the revised expansion plans, it would be interesting to see them.
I'm pretty sure if they surfaced, the GTAA would smyte anyone who's eyes came across the documents! Lightning Bolts, Boiles, The Plague... the whole deal!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 10:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wait until the winter once flyglobespan comes out with plans for the summer '08 schedule. If it's the same then we'll probably see improvements made to the terminal.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 2:26 AM

And we need to see if other airlines watching YHM in the wings come on board. I have heard rumours about other low cost airlines like Zoom, Southwest, even Ryanair watching how flyglobespan does this summer out of Hamilton. I'd love to see more destinations from YHM, and most likely it'll be the low cost airlines offering them. And not just overseas flights, I'd love to see a reasonably-priced flight out west from here. NYC would be another great destination.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Obviously if YHM was to make some improvements it would be mostly on the international side. They really need to get things going and make the airport run smoother, yea it wasn't the airport fault but YHM could have help with a kitchen.

I remember a few years ago JetBlue looked at YHM. That would be a dream come true.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Obviously if YHM was to make some improvements it would be mostly on the international side. They really need to get things going and make the airport run smoother, yea it wasn't the airport fault but YHM could have help with a kitchen.

I remember a few years ago JetBlue looked at YHM. That would be a dream come true.
jetBlue, Southwest, AirTran, the American Cheap 3.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 2:57 AM
Closed account

http://www.flyhi.ca/pdf/amp_update.pdf

Some pretty good stuff in here if it ever comes to reality.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 8:32 PM

flyglobespan started issuing its Summer 2008 schedule today. No sign of YHM flights, but it is early in the game.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 9:47 PM
Closed account

I was talking withg a couple from England who were going to a town up near Barrys Bay (past Toronto) and flew out of YHM. They are spending there last 2 days at the Marriot on Upper James and come into my work today and spend about $350 so it shows you in a small but practical way that the airport will add $$$ into out city. Kinda neat so i thought I would pass it along.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 1:53 AM

I was at Hamilton International Airport today (14 August) and I noticed a few new things. First there was an article in the “Hamilton Spectator” on August 10th titled “Fifty defibrillators donated” (AED’s). The opening line of the story was “There will be no defibrillator at Hamilton airport.” It did not go on to say why but here is a picture of one of the AED’s hanging at Hamilton International. I know I have seen them there in the passed, so I know they are not new. I guess they could not what for the city to supply them.

They have not started on the new entrance to the new international arrivals area. I believe they are waiting for the summer rush to end and do it in the lull before the winter charter season starts.

Hamilton International now has a currency exchange both. It opened today and is open from 2:30 pm to 10:30 pm. Business was brisk.

They now have video signs over the baggage carousels announcing what flights are being served on what carousel.

And last. They are bulldozing the large property on the corner of Airport Road and the East Cargo Road (north east). They’re where 4 or 5 large building there and they are even removing all of the trees as if they are getting it ready for a development. This would be across from (east of) the Warplane Heritage Museum and at the entrance to the road to the UPS building and the WestJet and CargoJet Hangers. Anyone hear anything that might be going in there?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 4:34 AM

Also.... all of Flyglobespans flights where early today.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 12:23 AM

I thought Flyglobespan was going to be cheaper to fly to the UK, but Zoom and Transat out of T.O. is much cheaper even with the taxes.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 3:12 PM

GreatTallNorth2, I found flyglobespan to be much cheaper than Zoom. I am flying out to Manchester on October 24th, returning via Glasgow on Nov 4. I got my ticket from flyglobespan for $495. Zoom would have been $590 for the same flights. Plus, I don't have to deal with the hassle of getting into Pearson and dealing with those crowds.

As far as Air Transat goes, they don't fly europe past October so I couldn't compare prices. Even if they did, I had such a bad experience with them several years back I am not likely to ever fly them again.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I thought Flyglobespan was going to be cheaper to fly to the UK, but Zoom and Transat out of T.O. is much cheaper even with the taxes.
Flyglobespan flights out of Hamilton are more expensive right now for the fall because they are getting close to being sold out. There are a lot of seats out of Toronto so it is cheaper. When you look at a price out of Toronto you have to add more soft costs such as transportation to and from Toronto, travel time to and from Toronto Airport (You have to leave hours earlier to go to Pearson), parking costs at Toronto, shuttle cost and time etc. Parking at Toronto is $65.00 (at the discount lot and take the monorail…this takes time) to $120.00 per week with short term right in front of Terminal 3 being $92.00 per day. Hamilton’s short term in front of the terminal is $65.00 per week and $50.00 per week if you have to walk about 100 metres further.
I believe the airport says that the extra cost per person per flight is about $125.00. This is what you should add to the cost out of Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure