HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:51 PM

I'm not sure how this compare to other fulfillment centers, but this one sure is quite big

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:13 PM

New terminal.

Maybe capacity will increase to where Hamilton can support a "REAL" terminal not the embarrassment we now have. Any rumours about a new passenger terminal in the future?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:12 PM

no, the passenger traffic is just not there. Most people just go to Pearson for international trips and Buffalo for US trips.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinsofie1 View Post
Maybe capacity will increase to where Hamilton can support a "REAL" terminal not the embarrassment we now have. Any rumours about a new passenger terminal in the future?
Nothing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaj8W6nPKUg

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:30 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinsofie1 View Post
Incremental additions seem to be the way things have gone and will likely continue... presuming passenger numbers return to what they were.

My dream would be to eventually see a new terminal built in a different location, perhaps on the western side of the airfield. The current one is getting increasingly hemmed in as freight-related business grows, and at some point it may make sense to create some separation between the cargo and passenger aircraft operations. Plus if passenger levels do grow, a new build may become a more viable option than more renovation/addition to the old terminal.

Doubt I'll be around to see that though, and if I am I may need cataract surgery first.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:47 PM

Swoops Preliminary Summer Schedule
Abbotsford (YXX) - 1x Daily
Edmonton (YEG) - 7x Weekly (2x Tues, No Wed)
Winnipeg (YWG) - 1x Daily

Westjet Preliminary Summer Schedule
Calgary (YYC) - 2x Daily

Current Weekly Departures: 35

I feel like Swoop will introduce some maritime fares once restrictions are lifted. Flair went all-in on Kitchener-Waterloo and I could see Swoop trying to indirectly combat them on some of their routes (Victoria, Halifax) or even Westjet bringing back YVR.

I'll be flying out of YKF this May to go to Edmonton (lower fare and because I want to support Flair).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:13 PM

From today's provincial budget document

Quote:
The widening of Highway 6 South from Highway 403 to Upper James Street in the City of Hamilton, from two to four lanes for about nine kilometres. This stretch of highway is a significant trade corridor and a primary connection from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport to the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area via Highway 403.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From today's provincial budget document
Wow!

Didn’t they just repave it too?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:04 PM

2020 Year in Review

Highlights

329,193 Passengers (66% Decrease)
---> Jan, Feb 2020 was busiest months to date

658m kg in Cargo (24% Increase)

$84.1 Million investment in infrastructure made by Tradeport & Partners
$20.5 Million investment in airfield rehabilitation and modernization
3,400 Jobs created through YHM activity
$252,000 in contributions to the community.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 10:53 PM

Swoop adds Hamilton - Kelowna starting in June.

Non-Stop 3x weekly (Mon,Wed,Sat)
1-Stop 3x weekly (Tue,Thu,Fri)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 5:50 PM

Cargojet Expands Relationship with Amazon

1 April 2021

Cargojet Inc. (“Cargojet”) (TSX: CJT) announced today that it has entered into a new Air Transportation Services Agreement with Amazon Canada Fulfillment Services, ULC (“Amazon”).

Under the agreement, Cargojet will expand upon its existing commercial relationship with Amazon. As part of this arrangement, Cargojet will operate two Amazon-owned B767-300BDSF aircraft as part of the Amazon Air network on a CMI basis within Canada starting mid-2021. Cargojet expects the agreement to generate additional revenue growth to Cargojet’s earnings and cash flows over time. The agreement has a four-year term with three successive two-year renewal options.

“We are very excited to expand our long-term relationship of providing a portfolio of services which support the rapid growth of e-Commerce in Canada. This new four-year Agreement with renewal options is a testament to our relentless focus on exceeding customer expectations,” said Dr. Ajay Virmani, President and CEO Cargojet.

https://cargojet.com/news/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

I have stocks to Cargojet (CJT), I'm just waiting for the day when Amazon makes an offer to take over Cargojet. Hopefully, I'll finally own an Amazon stock haha.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I have stocks to Cargojet (CJT), I'm just waiting for the day when Amazon makes an offer to take over Cargojet. Hopefully, I'll finally own an Amazon stock haha.
I hear this frequently with the courier business as well. They use UPS or Purolator and people are waiting for Amazon to buy them. What's in it for Amazon to do that though? Their history, on the logistics side anyway, has been to use whatever the marketplace has until they can justify doing it themselves. They are growing their in-house delivery system and relying less on the national couriers, and the same will happen with their air network. Note that Amazon owns the aircraft that Cargojet will be operating for them.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Amazon already owns 20% of CargoJet.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:08 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Does anyone know if Coca Cola will be locating a huge distribution center on or near the airport lands? If so does that mean they are moving the one from Barton Street? I remember reading something about this in the past but I haven't heard anything for a while now.

Actually besides Amazon is there a confirmed list of companies locating to the airport lands in the near future?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:23 PM

I don’t think there is any new confirmed tenants but Pannottoni (landlord for Amazon) is moving quickly on the remainder of their industrial park and there are several other industrial parks in the plan of subdivision phase that are hoping to get servicing in the ground very soon.

As those parks get going there will be more large tenant announcements. There is a stupidly huge shortage of industrial space in the GTA right now so any serviced land brought to market should fill up quickly.

There is also going to be a lot of serviced industrial land added in the lower city soon as Stelco sells off 2/3rds of their landholdings for industrial development.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I don’t think there is any new confirmed tenants but Pannottoni (landlord for Amazon) is moving quickly on the remainder of their industrial park and there are several other industrial parks in the plan of subdivision phase that are hoping to get servicing in the ground very soon.

As those parks get going there will be more large tenant announcements. There is a stupidly huge shortage of industrial space in the GTA right now so any serviced land brought to market should fill up quickly.

There is also going to be a lot of serviced industrial land added in the lower city soon as Stelco sells off 2/3rds of their landholdings for industrial development.
From Panattoni Development Company's web site on availability:

Quote:
50 Aeropark:

AVAILABLE UNITS: UNIT 3 - 55,111 SQ. FT. | UNIT 5 - 15,070 SQ. FT.

TOTAL BUILDING SIZE: 264,534 SQ. FT.

110 Aeropark:

SOLD OUT - AMAZON
That is three of the units leased. These are the largest units. They do not state who the tenants are.

Latest map of the area dated January 2021.

Panattoni YHM 01 - 2021 by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:14 PM

"John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport moved 658,202,000 kilograms in total cargo aircraft billable weight in 2020. That's compared to 532,235 kilograms the previous year."

"Coun. Lloyd Ferguson (Ward 12, Ancaster) asked Duncan if Swoop will add more routes to Hamilton after previously reducing the number of flights to one.

Duncan emphasized the airline never left Hamilton and never will."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...d-19-1.5988495

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From Panattoni Development Company's web site on availability:

That is three of the units leased. These are the largest units. They do not state who the tenants are.
The last site plan application for the remainder of the industrial buildings here was just filed. The 3 smaller buildings not yet built were all filed this year - I expect them to get built shortly.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:30 PM

Swoop returning more low-cost flights to Hamilton — pandemic permitting
(Hamilton Spectator, Matthew Van Dongen, Apr 16 2021)

Low-cost airline Swoop says it is bringing more flights back to Hamilton — pandemic permitting — just months after relocating dozens of weekly trips to operate out of Toronto.

The WestJet subsidiary started 2020 with hopes to expand “ultralow-cost” service from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport to more East Coast destinations. Instead, as air travel cratered during COVID, Swoop shrunk Hamilton-based service to three-times weekly flights to Edmonton and Abbotsford, B.C., and moved some service to Pearson airport in Toronto.

Pandemic restrictions dropped all passenger traffic to John C. Munro by 66 per cent last year to about 330,000 people, compared to nearly a million travellers in 2019.

Swoop continues to lose “quite a bit of money,” said president Charles Duncan in an update to the city airport committee Thursday — but plans nonetheless call for “a steady diet of increases” to flights to and from Hamilton.…

That assumes the pandemic eases through vaccination, rather than worsens. “It’s all going to depend on demand,” he said in an interview.

Duncan said new flights to Winnipeg are set to start in late April and — depending on provincial COVID rules — new trips are planned this summer to Kelowna, B.C., and Halifax.

Read it in full here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure