HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 5:49 AM

How Walkable is Your Neighborhood?

A Map That Visualizes Walkable Neighborhoods Across the US

An interactive map allows anyone in the US to see their proximity to grocery stores, playgrounds, schools and more.

Pretty interesting. For my area, I chose walkability to restaurants, of which I am an addict:

I live in a 5-10 minute-walkability-to-restaurants block of South Pasadena.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 9:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

My section within the Easton area is not even on the app. Section right above Easton.

Well, we have some walkability lol. Sad state of affairs with respect to walkability here.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 11:41 AM
devout Pizzatarian

My neighborhood of Lincoln Square is essentially solid blue (<5 minutes) for walking to restaurants.

The big exception is rosehill cemetery at the north end of my neighborhood, but it is an entirely useless 1/2 sq. mile chunk of land literally surrounded by an 8' high concrete wall. It might as well be a black hole in terms of neighborhood functionality.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:20 PM

This interactive map website was the subject of an earlier thread. The map totally screwed Dallas and Houston by completely omitting parks. I emailed the creator and he updated it to include parks and the maps of Dallas and Houston changed dramatically.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...nteractive+map

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 5:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that I live in a less than 5 minute walk for 80-90% of the list. I checked supermarkets, restaurants, cafes/coffee shops, gyms, pharmacies, and bars, which were all under 5 minutes. Specialty schools (alternative, special education, trade, etc.) are the only things I could find more than a 10-minute walk from where I live.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 7:08 PM

What am I missing about this map? When I filter for restaurants only, I get all these restaurants surrounded by gray, more-than-30-minutes walks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
My section within the Easton area is not even on the app. Section right above Easton.

Well, we have some walkability lol. Sad state of affairs with respect to walkability here.

I mean, well you live in the suburbs.

I think Easton is probably less walkable than both Allentown and Bethlehem, and those are probably slightly less walkable than Lancaster...but all are respectable for small tier 3 cities IMO. SE PA is rich in small and medium sized small walkable towns. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 3:01 AM

My neighborhood: Nishikata, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo

Street View of my street

Street View of Hakusan Station, 5 minutes from my house

Street View of Todaimae Station, 8 minutes from my house

Street View of Kasuga Station, also 8 minutes from my house

Also, this iconic roller coaster at Tokyo Dome City is 10 minutes from my house

No idea what my Walkscore would be, but likely at the top. It may not appear so from the Street Views above, but this area is above 40,000 pp sq mile.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 11:30 AM

Active travel was always quite good in most parts of London as the road network was less developed and not conducive to the scale of auto-dominance found in North American cities. Many high-pedestrian routes are already pedestrianised. With that said, the emergence of satellite navigation systems and then map apps on smartphones, there has been an increase in private vehicles using residential/side roads to bypass traffic which has caused problems.

The response to that was the introduction of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTN’s), the first of which was introduced into my north-east London neighbourhood a decade ago. LTN’s are a combination of measures (e.g. modal filters, road closures, bus gates, removal of bidirectional roads, raised pedestrian crossings, chicanes, reduction of parking spaces, more on-street secure and accessible cycle racks/sheds, pocket parks, seating, etc) to restrict the ability of private vehicles to traverse across a neighbourhood freely.

Some Google StreetView examples of my neighbourhood: here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

The outline for the Walthamstow Village LTN. Source: Waltham Forest, https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/sit...%20%282%29.pdf

Other areas in London and across the UK have followed suit with their own LTN’s to actively encourage more active travel.

In the below map (check the source below, it is well worth a look as it covers the entire UK) you’ll see that there are a lot of impediments to just driving all over the borough. The only through-roads are those identified as grey (main roads), red (local road), or brown (local road but with traffic calming). More and more roads are being change to reduced access as LTN’s and modal filters are rolled out.

Source: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods: https://www.lowtrafficneighbourhoods...1.553/-0.06692

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions