HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:39 PM

Modera Main Street (MAC Block 7) | 158'-00" | 16 floors | Proposed

Pre-Application Conference for 1849 WI/ SW Salmon St (Mac Block 7)
Quote:
Proposal is for a new 13 story, 330 unit multi-dwelling residential building with 169 structured residential parking spaces and 230 additional below-grade parking spaces for use by the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:44 PM
Registered Ugly

Goose Hollow is shaping up to be a thing.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 6:35 PM

Haven't we seen a similar proposal on this block before? In 2013, to be exact:

"Early Assistance Design Advice Request for proposed 7-story building with 200-260 residential units and sub surface parking for these units and dedicated spaces for the Multnomah Athletic Club."

Anyone recall why the earlier proposal didn't materialize and what might be different circumstances this time around?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Haven't we seen a similar proposal on this block before? In 2013, to be exact:

"Early Assistance Design Advice Request for proposed 7-story building with 200-260 residential units and sub surface parking for these units and dedicated spaces for the Multnomah Athletic Club."

Anyone recall why the earlier proposal didn't materialize and what might be different circumstances this time around?
I don't know the specifics around what's changed, but I'm guessing underground parking had something to do with it. Could be a result of the 2030 plan (zoning), but I too am curious, especially since the proposed building is almost twice as tall as the previously proposed Mac Block 7 was.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 9:26 PM

The previous proposal required a change in zoning to allow parking to be used by the MAC.

The new Central City 2035 plans allows 1.2 car parking spaces of "growth parking" per residential unit in Goose Hollow. Not coincidentally, that's exactly what they're proposing. The new zoning code also allows said parking to be used as commercial parking:

Quote:
Growth Parking may be operated as either accessory or commercial parking at all times.
I think the intent of this code was to allow shared use parking, and cut down on the amount of new parking built. The effect here seems to be making it legal to build a parking garage in a high density residential zone, as long as it has some residential units over it.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 9:31 PM

Ahhh.. I forgot about that. I guess that explains it. The MAC has been aiming to build additional parking for ages.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 10:54 PM
Registered Ugly

It would be nice if they put a sky bridge or tunnel from the parking to the MAC. That crosswalk is constantly in use.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:57 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Pre-Application Conference for 1849 WI/ SW Salmon St (Mac Block 7)
It is unclear from the address above which block is to be developed. This address, 1849 SW Salmon, is at the front door to the MAC. What does WI mean? An address for MAC block 7 is needed.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
It is unclear from the address above which block is to be developed. This address, 1849 SW Salmon, is at the front door to the MAC. What does WI mean? An address for MAC block 7 is needed.
The Mac owns several blocks in the area, including the Mac club itself, the parking garage between Main and Salmon, and the full vacant lot between Main and Madison, all under the same address. I'm guessing the full block is planned for development, rather than the portion outlined in blue below.

1849 WI/ SW SALMON ST

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 8:28 PM

"Block 7" is the empty, park-like block to the south of the existing MAC parking garage. There is a long history of plans for that block found here (midway down the page).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:18 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:51 PM

Presentation to the Goose Hollow Foothills League. It's grown a bit.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:05 AM

This is interesting. I wonder how they're going to win over the neighborhood. Or is MAC money going to override neighborhood objections? 158" for 16 floors seems awfully tight.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 12:42 AM

Maybe the sloping site is skewing that down a bit? Looks like there is a floor and a half that goes into the hillside. So that 158' is more like 14.5 floors?

Actually you're right. 158 inches is very tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
This is interesting. I wonder how they're going to win over the neighborhood. Or is MAC money going to override neighborhood objections? 158" for 16 floors seems awfully tight.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
Maybe the sloping site is skewing that down a bit? Looks like there is a floor and a half that goes into the hillside. So that 158' is more like 14.5 floors?

Actually you're right. 158 inches is very tight!
LOL! Nice catch.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:15 PM

This probably deserves its own thread, but here at the Drawings (18.5 MB) of Modera Main Street (formally MAC Block 7).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
This probably deserves its own thread, but here at the Drawings (18.5 MB) of Modera Main Street (formally MAC Block 7).
We do have a thread, so I moved your comment. Thanks for posting these!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 12:06 AM

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 1:12 AM

I recognize the fact that the firm here doesn't have a strong architectural record but, looking at pg 48, even a layperson like myself can imagine what the Design Commission is going to say: primarily, go back and "simplify". I mean, it's not terrible. It's a big, bulky, challenging project for sure. But wouldn't you anticipate that before initial submittal? Serious question: are the architects just not particularly talented/creative/resourceful or is there a strategy here that I'm missing?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 3:48 PM

Project has been submitted for Design Review:

Quote:
17-story, 336 mixed unit, residential apartment building with 403 structured residential parking spaces and 504 long-term bicycle parking stalls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland