HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:28 AM

hurrumph!

The Trammell Crow project at Failing Street and North Mississippi

wood construction above concrete base

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:49 AM

Chateau Mississippi
3930 N Mississippi Ave.
10,500 sq. ft. retail

stucco work

that is the Trammell Crow project in the background on the right, just south

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 2:41 AM

Mississippi Ave Lofts.
http://www.mississippiavenuelofts.com/

shooting for LEED Platinum, the first & only low rise platinum residential in the country.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 2:50 AM

nice update! thanks

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 5:10 AM

Yes! Thank you for the pics. Tho I don't understand why builders use stucco in the Northwest...it never seems to hold up to the wet.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 4:54 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ the burnside rocket is stucco

it can be done, but the faux-stucco EIFS stuff is doomed to fail, because of water/vapor problems. However, EIFS is not true stucco. (see link)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:29 PM

The block at the Prescott MAX station is slated for a mixed-use development of varying heights. I think the tallest portion might be 6 stories. Portlandmaps has the specifics.

The MLK site you're talking about is Shaver Green. 6 stories of workforce housing shooting for LEED platinum.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:07 PM

Sales must be a little slow at Williams Five, they're advertising units for rent:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/835660442.html

http://williamsfivecondos.com/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 6:30 AM

Not sure if this really qualifies as infill, but Legacy just broke ground on a 7-story tower. I don't know how tall it will be, but given that OHSU's 16-story tower is almost as tall as the 22-story Alexan, I think it's safe to say that medical buildings are built with extra-high ceilings, so this it may come out looking a bit taller than it would sound.

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/09/08/daily26.html

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 2:46 PM PDT
Legacy breaks ground on new tower at Emanuel

Portland Business Journal

Construction kicked off on a significant expansion project Wednesday at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in North Portland.

The project, expected to be complete in 2011, will include a new pediatric care tower plus extensive remodeling of the existing hospital. It also includes a 425-space parking structure.

With more than 400 beds, Legacy Emanuel is one the largest and busiest hospitals in Portland. It cares for a large charity care population, and typically reports modest operating margins. Legacy leaders said high occupancy rates prompted the expansion.

The new seven-story Legacy Emanuel Children’s Hospital will offer pediatric inpatient services, pediatric emergency department services and a short-stay surgical unit for kids.

The expansion will increase the number of pediatric beds in the facility from 76 to 96, and double the number of pediatric emergency department exam rooms to 20.

The remodel of the existing Legacy Emanuel facility will add 60 or more beds for adults.

Legacy did not disclose the cost of the project by deadline. However, the bond-rating agency Standard & Poor’s released documents this week saying Legacy will take out $150 million in bonds in October to finance the Emanuel expansion and other projects.

The bond rating agency also slightly downgraded two of Legacy existing bond-issue debts totaling $269.3 million.

"The ratings reflect good operating performance and maximum annual debt service coverage, but a strained balance sheet due to high debt leverage and low days cash on hand that are both weak for the rating level," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Keith Dickinson, in a statement.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 4:53 AM

Activity on Vancouver/Williams. Hakoya Lofts on top: I'm waiting for the final touches but from the outside I'm not too impressed -- not sure about the 3rd-story setback, especially on the Williams side. Maybe the coat of grey paint that the rendering shows on the 3rd story will give it some pizzazz. 2nd shot is the retail renovation down the street that features Lincoln Restaurant and, soon, the Hub market and Ristretto Roasters #2. Lastly, the project on Vancouver that Brian Libby wrote about awhile back because the neighbors gave the designers/developers such a hard time about the flat-roofed modern design not "fitting in". Again, waiting to pass judgment (on the exterior at least) until it's done, but philosophically I think we need this X 100. The scale seems appropriate, it corresponds to the city's density needs, and it reflects the times it is being built in rather than feeding the faux-historic fetish so many Portlanders seem hooked on.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:09 PM

Actually from a purely functional perception, in a rainy environment what is the advantage to a flat room line? If the top of this building was a roof top garden then you have no argument from me, but if it’s being done just for design form reasons I kind of agree with the neighborhoods concerns. First and foremost a building should function within the environment it’s built in.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:46 PM

I thought it featured eco-roofs. I agree with you and as far as I'm concerned green roofs should be required for new construction without a sloping roofline. The advantage in our region is that it may be rainy and grey a lot but it is also mild. I have a long-term plan with my house to add a flat-roofed 3rd floor with lots of glass and a usable rooftop native plant garden --my house is kind of squeezed between two taller houses on a south-facing slope and I want to be able to maximize my light exposure in the winter.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ ecoroofs can be installed on a pitched roof.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:11 PM

I know, I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:10 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Actually from a purely functional perception, in a rainy environment what is the advantage to a flat room line? If the top of this building was a roof top garden then you have no argument from me, but if it’s being done just for design form reasons I kind of agree with the neighborhoods concerns. First and foremost a building should function within the environment it’s built in.
Even roofs that appear flat are slightly sloped to address climate issues. You can have it both ways.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 9:23 PM

article in the mercury about n pdx condos

Hot Houses

Density Is Portland's Future. Some Smart, Young Architects Get it Right.

by Sarah Mirk

Eli Spevak is the coolest condo developer ever.

Get this: After working for affordable housing nonprofits for eight years, in 2004 Spevak and a friend took a huge financial risk and threw every cent they had into transforming a dull cement apartment building next to North Portland's Peninsula Park into a cooperative condo complex. They painted the place yellow, did some major renovations and convinced their friends to buy up the first seven units of the new Peninsula Park Commons at an awesome affordable price of $90,000 to $100,0000. Now Spevak's front yard is full of strawberries and the communal condo-dwellers dry their laundry on a clothesline made from bike parts. This is the life.

As Portland's increasing density means more and more condo projects sprouting up around town, Spevak and a cadre of creative, young Portland architects have pioneered designs that incorporate neighbors rather than piss them off. They put community, not profit, at the center of their plans. And oh yeah, they're selling tons of units while the recession has turned the Pearl District's glass-and-steel luxury towers into semi-vacant condo canyons.

In the last few years, Portland has become a hotbed for architects driven by the design principles of cohousing—the idea that living spaces should be designed, funded, and built collaboratively, not top-down by one aloof architect or firm. In mid-September, 27-year-old architecture student Sara Garrett organized a symposium at city hall that brought together many of the Northwest's cohousing designers with developers and city officials.
"What we're really advocating for is bottom-up, citizen-led development.

It's a model that's really engaging people, empowering people to really take ownership of their spaces," says Garrett, who grew up in North Portland and majored in something called "environmental physics" at Portland State University.

"It's like DIY development. My personal opinion is that no one should profit off of someone else's home."

Profits are a hot subject for Portland's cohousing designers. When Terri Huggett, Kristin Wells, and their two partners decided to turn a shabby apartment complex on North Killingsworth into 30 cohousing apartments called Daybreak, they found banks were skeptical about loaning millions of dollars to a communal living project. So the two couples asked their friends to act as banks for them. Everyone looking to live in Daybreak pitched in a $15,000 down payment and friends and relatives loaned the crew $2 million more at eight percent interest.

"It took a leap of faith and a heck of a lot of chutzpah," laughs Huggett. "Frankly, it's really much harder than you think it's going to be, even knowing it's going to be hard."

That was enough cash to buy the old apartments, but to actually get the development rolling, they needed to pre-sell at least 15 market-rate units. People quickly snatched up 19.

"No other condo projects I've heard of in the city are pre-selling anything right now," says Spevak, grinning. "Communal living is not for everybody, but those who want it, want it badly." Daybreak broke ground in September.

What's exciting about cohousing is the ability to build living spaces that create good communities—neighbors who not only talk to each other, but share newspaper subscriptions. Living communally can be cheaper and use less environmental resources.

"I call it the tyranny of idealism," says Huggett. "We have this whole sense of idealism about community, but how do we turn that into practically living with each other?"

"Cohousing is gaining momentum because people are becoming more community oriented," says Grace Kim, the architect who designed Daybreak hand-in-hand with its future occupants. "Twenty- and thirtysomethings are definitely looking to be more connected to the place they live."

Kim looked toward Danish housing design as a model. Low-rise, high-density cohousing developments have received start-up grants from the Danish government for decades.

In Portland, city affordable housing bureaucrats have only recently begun to sit up and take notice. City Commissioner Nick Fish and staffers stopped by Sara Garrett's cohousing symposium in September, where Portland Development Commission planners led several discussions. While there are still no government grants specifically for cohousing projects, it looks like cooperative principles may become an integral part of future affordable housing built in Portland. Planners of the major new North Portland affordable housing complex, New Columbia, took input from Eli Spevak and wound up carving out eight units designed for cohousing.

While there are pockets of progressive cohousing architects in other American cities, Portland has a couple of aspects that put it on the vanguard of cooperative design. It helps that local politicians fall over themselves to drop words like "sustainability" and "community"—but housing code that supports bikes over cars is a clincher. Daybreak's design has no on-site parking and this summer, residents of Peninsula Park Commons finished replacing its car lot with a bike garage and three beautiful new condos. Windows for the new units (don't ask, they're already sold) are from the Rebuilding Center, and the mosaic imbedded in the new exterior courtyard is made from bricks bought off Craigslist and metal fins Spevak found while poking around a junkyard on Ross Island.

"This is an example of infill density that looks good and feels good to live in," says Spevak. "In Portland we could use more of that."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 8:15 AM

Trammell Crow's giant Mississippi rental project which was previously unnamed has acquired a name... ta da: "TUPELO ALLEY"

(hold those heckles please)

http://www.tcresidential.com/homes/i...value=36&id=36
3 ext. renderings

project web site:
http://www.tupeloalley.com/
though currently only a sign-up list

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 5:01 PM

Genius name. Maybe better than the Asa, which merely insulted our history.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 3:28 AM

"it can be done, but the faux-stucco EIFS stuff is doomed to fail, because of water/vapor problems."

I think EIFS is a good product when it has back-drainage and a good system of vapor/air/moisture barriers. The failures in EIFS came from buildings where the foam was glued directly to the sheathing of wood-framed buildings. When water got into the skin - as it will with any material - through joints, around windoes, etc, that water had no way to drain out.

As a result of those failures - some of which are still occuring - contracotrs still can't get insurance if they install it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 4:40 PM

TUPELO ALLEY 11/7

Tyvek + Hardiplank + vinyl windows = rentals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland