HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Rumors add intrigue to headquarters hotel vote
Sources Say

One concept would promise to build a 300- to 400-room hotel with the possibility of expanding in the future in exchange for only the land, which is owned by the Portland Development Commission.

– Tribune staff
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...69272198498400
300-400 room isn't enough. We need a minimum of 500 rooms for the major meeting planners to look at us. I hope they stick with the 600 rooms.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:55 PM

Red Lion? Not exactly a Westin or similar quality hotel chain. I also think more rooms are needed if you are going to build a convention center hotel. We have hotels in the 300-400 range. This needs to provide a larger block of rooms to bring in the larger conventions.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:19 PM

Is it possible for a government/private partnership? Say, for instance, the Red Lion build their 400 room portion and government backed bonds build another 300-400 rooms..We need 600-1,000 rooms in one location for the larger conventions/events to consider Portland. For instance: In order to get the NBA All Star game won't this be necessary?

Last edited by PacificNW; Oct 30, 2007 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:31 PM

Red Lion? Eeesh...why not shilo inn? Affordable excellence right? I can't even imagine how horrible that hotel or motel would look like

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:39 PM

I think the Red Lion brand is quite a few steps up the rung from a Shilo....Most conventions hotels, in my convention experiences, aren't necessarily "top rung"... A Ritz Carlton is not necessary, and in some instances, either is a Westin or Hilton... At one time the Red Lion brand was "upper middle"....perfect for conventioneers....as long as they had plenty of their own meeting/ballroom facilities located right in the hotel. The rooms/meeting spaces in the Red Lions, at one time, in the Jantzen Beach area were more than adequate.

Maybe, since their split from the Hilton brand, Red Lion is attempting to build their image.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designpdx View Post
Red Lion? Not exactly a Westin or similar quality hotel chain. I also think more rooms are needed if you are going to build a convention center hotel. We have hotels in the 300-400 range. This needs to provide a larger block of rooms to bring in the larger conventions.
This is entirely true. Putting a 300-400 rooms would not accomplish the goal of attracting larger conventions

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:49 PM

I say build a 35 story Hyatt Regency!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:52 PM

^^^That would be nice

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:52 AM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:19 AM

That's the exact one i had in mind

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:23 AM

↑ Cool..

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:52 PM

one things for sure, that building you guys are referencing would fit in with the Lloyd District...I'd like to see something spectacular, preferably with more angles and curves.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:33 PM

300-400 rooms is a non-starter!

A consultant/advisor/third party has already said the 600 number is the minimum number of rooms at the start in order for this to pencil out. You need a block of 500 rooms available for the client. What a waste of time. PDX never can move forward because "old money" and entrenched special interests hate to have their slice of pie changed.

Paul Allen and the hotel owners are the number one examples of this point of view. No wonder the Rose Quarter, Convention Center Area, and the Lloyd Center District can't move forward.

EP

Last edited by EastPDX; Nov 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

My god, if you follow the history of this thing and the freaking money spent on report after report after report, it's astounding, think of the trees wasted - they probably could have built the damn thing for less. I'm surprised they haven't contacted each and every one us to write another one.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:16 AM

Metro voted today to spend the 600K to further study the proposal and nail down some hard numbers. This after receiving tepid support from city and county that they'd try to provide some financial support. I can't remember the current timeline.

Potter is apparently against the hotel, as he did not send a letter of support. Not surprising. I was shocked, though, to read that Leonard is one of the project's "strongest supporters". That guy is all over the place. I was thinking the other day that someone should go down to the old Oak Tower site and hang a big sign on the fence that says "Randy's Hole".

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:49 AM

The mayor, for all his talk, lacks a true vision for Portland...The convention center is a reality. It needs a headquarters hotel to remain competitive...or there needs to be some "visionary idea's" to get attendee's to/back to the center from the downtown hotels in an efficient/speedy/convenient manner.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I just read that NYC might get a 1,800 room hotel.

Heh. I suddenly feel rather smallish...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I just read that NYC might get a 1,800 room hotel.

Heh. I suddenly feel rather smallish...
NYC can do that to any American city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:29 PM

I think thats mid-sized in Vegas.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:16 PM

Oregonian editorial this morning. Good they are sticking to the minimum 600 rooms in the context of this mysterious private sector "possibility". They also have a great editorial on the ag bill this morning -- sometimes the O surprises me.

Metro on the mezzanine
Support for a hotel from the city and county should push the regional government to figure out financing
Monday, November 05, 2007

Never mind the multiplier effect. In 2006, travelers of every variety -- international, national and within Oregon -- spent $7.9 billion in our state. That's how much they spent directly on hotels, restaurants and other goods and services.

And it's nearly 7 percent more than the year before. Last year was the third straight year of growth for the tourism industry, which now employs nearly 90,000 Oregonians. It's easy to sneeze at tourism-related jobs, and it's true that some are entry-level, modest or minimum-wage. But tourism also keeps many sole proprietors going (including outfitters, specialty retailers and B&B operators). When tourism is strong, these small businesses make a very decent living.

This is the crucial context, the backdrop, if you will, for a dramatic decision Metro will make this week on the Oregon Convention Center hotel. The project is critical if Portland is going to keep landing big conventions, which, in turn, keep a steady stream of tourists coming to our state. On Thursday, the regional government will decide whether to move forward with the hotel or drop it.

In the past few weeks, Metro has been scrambling to gauge the city and county's interest in the project, since they would, potentially, have a role to play in a revamp of hotel taxes to help pay for it.

In these back-channel conversations, tentative majority support for the hotel has materialized. How reliable it really is, though, in the absence of a reliable set of numbers for the hotel is anyone's guess. Still, the Metro Council should now go forward to obtain final figures for financing a publicly owned hotel project.

Meanwhile, a very intriguing possibility has emerged from the private sector. Clearly, if it's possible to get a 600-room hotel built privately without a huge public subsidy, that is ideal. The private developers should hasten to put exactly what they're willing to do in writing. But Metro shouldn't delay the next step in its investigation of the publicly owned model while waiting for this private proposal to take shape.

Hard to quantify, but not unimportant is the question of how a convention center hotel would boost the state's tourism industry. It would be worthwhile for Metro to explore that question more fully, too. Anecdotally, we know big conventions bring big dollars in, not only to the region, but also to the state. That's why Todd Davidson, executive director of the Oregon Tourism Commission, has testified in favor of the hotel project.

Visitors expand their convention weeks with pre- and post-convention trips. And those who come for a conference often return to visit other parts of Oregon. (As vital as tourism is to the metro region, some less populated areas in our state are even more economically dependent on it.)

No one knows yet if it makes sense for Metro to build this hotel, but many across Oregon are watching and hoping it does. They, too, await the numbers, knowing that where the future of tourism is concerned, a convention center hotel could have a multiplier effect on their own bottom lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland