HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
It does look really good. They are doing a good job.
Did you notice that they have a frame in one of the windows: pine st side near Ochterloney, 2nd floor. The framing looks out of place as a replacement window. JET
I did not notice that framing yet. Only the framing on the bottom floors of the extension.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 1:57 PM

It looks like they might be trying to replicate the chimney, there is an area boxed in between the two roofs where the base of the old chimney was located. There is a public hearing mid Nov about proposed alterations to the original plan. ZET

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:43 PM

Character-defining chimney could be gone for good
Halifax News Net
By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News

Asking Dexel Developments to rebuild a brick chimney demolished on the former Greenvale School building doesn’t make sense, Dartmouth Centre Coun. Gloria McCluskey told her fellow councillors at regional council last week.
“I stood up and said ‘this is ridiculous’ and it is,” said McCluskey. “That old chimney had to be taken down and to say that he should have to build a replacement … that’s just silly.”
Dexel knocked the chimney down this past summer, in the early stages of construction.
An HRM staff report and recommendation specified the chimney as a one of several “character defining” elements on the municipal heritage property in the 2007 Development Agreement, leading to the staff recommendation that the developer replace it.
At a heritage advisory committee meeting last month, members voted to support the HRM staff position by refusing approval of the chimney removal. Members also recommended that a replica of the chimney be built, suggesting a reinforced brick-sheathed plywood box to match the old design.
Councillors did not support that recommendation at regional council last week. The issue may be on the table yet again though, as it is one of three “substantive” amendments to the development agreement requested by Dexel Developments and substantive amendments require a public hearing.
The public hearing on the amendments is scheduled for the next Harbour East Community Council meeting on Nov. 12.
The $6 million development project, called the Lofts at Greenvale, will create 36 rental units in the historic school. Developer Louis Lawen reached an agreement in principle with HRM to develop the site back in 2003, but didn’t take ownership of the property until late 2007, due to problems with an old sewer line that had to be worked out with the city.
jveitch@ns.sympatico.ca
Greenvale amending agreement
Although the Development Agreement set up in 2007 allows for the original brick exterior of the Greenvale School building to be covered with an Exterior Insulation Finish System, it outlines several other character defining elements that should be “retained or reconstructed”, including:
1. Tall chimneys and wide arched windows trimmed with keystones
2. Overall form and proportions
3. Classic decorative trim
4. Building materials including brick, copper and slate
5. Hipped roof with copper gutter and detailed trim
6. Side entrances with classical porticos with Doric columns
7. Front entrance with central portico with Doric columns and a balustrade with large arched window above
8. Graduated levels following grade of property
9. Original trees.
Source: HRM website (halifax.ca/council/agendasc/ documents/ 091027ca1131.pdf)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 10:13 PM

It's just a chimney...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:56 AM
we built this city

bump

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
It's just a chimney...
I agree, just a chimney. They have almost finished the framing for the roof on the extension. They no doubt wish that it was covered given the snow today. Looking very good overall Probably windows soon. JET

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:11 AM

Drove by it tonight and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. The addition is coming along well, but the brick on the old portion has been completely covered by the cladding which looks real fake, almost foam like. Very disappointing. I'm guessing retaining the brick on the exterior was probably one of those substantive revisions that Bedford DJ referenced or maybe it was left out of the development agreement. Either way, it's a huge letdown as I thought we were going to get the old blended with the new instead of the old getting covered by the new.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Drove by it tonight and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. The addition is coming along well, but the brick on the old portion has been completely covered by the cladding which looks real fake, almost foam like. Very disappointing. I'm guessing retaining the brick on the exterior was probably one of those substantive revisions that Bedford DJ referenced or maybe it was left out of the development agreement. Either way, it's a huge letdown as I thought we were going to get the old blended with the new instead of the old getting covered by the new.
The issue with the exterior is that there is exposed brick on the inside walls, so in order to insulate they added insulation over the exterior brick and then put a stucco over the insulation. I live a 1/2 block away and I sort of like it now. Overall, I think that it looks good. The detailing is still quite nice.. JET

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:43 PM

I think it looks quite nice myself.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 1:31 PM

All the roofing is complete. There was a big Kohler window transport truck there this morning. The sign out front says Spring 2009 occupancy. Also advertising for office space; 1,000-10,000 sq ft. JET

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:17 PM

The new windows look great. The arched one above the front portico is quite striking. At night some of the inside is lit with floodlights. JET

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 1:27 PM

http://www.444rent.com/availability....&BuildingID=GV

Prices, floor plans, "photos". Looks like there is a plan to call that block of Pine St.: "19 Irishtown Road" JET

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
http://www.444rent.com/availability....&BuildingID=GV

Prices, floor plans, "photos". Looks like there is a plan to call that block of Pine St.: "19 Irishtown Road" JET
Interesting that they are called lofts but none of them are actually lofts. They just have high ceilings and some rooms with dust collecting crawl spaces above them... for more than my mortgage payment in the North End near the Hydrostone. It is a good development though. Despite the stucco. LOL

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 6:21 PM

Not only that, but the floor plans look very basic and uninteresting.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Not only that, but the floor plans look very basic and uninteresting.
What will be remarkable, will be the units that have sixteen foot ceilings, exposed brick walls (16'), and oversized windows. Not all have 16' heights, but many will have 12' heights. May 2010 occupancy is being advertised. Looking forward to the next openhouse. JET

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 10:29 PM

December 12, 2009

By me;

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
Honored Member

Thank you for all of the development updates Bedford_DJ. There are a lot of interesting projects currently underway in the HRM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:00 AM

The bottom level of the addition has been clad with a very very nice looking stone.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 5:10 PM

I walked by one night and the lights were on in the second floor of the original building. The exposed brick walls looked very nice. JET

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I walked by one night and the lights were on in the second floor of the original building. The exposed brick walls looked very nice. JET
I just went by this and that stone does look very nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth