HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:31 PM
Registered Drug User

Ah, the Chedoke Radial Trail. That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:20 PM

Yeah, there's really only two bike-friendly trails that go up the mountain. The Chedoke trail and the one that goes from Wentworth St to Mohawk Sports Park. If you're trying to get to central Hamilton Mountain, you're kinda out of luck.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:25 PM

BIXI is filing for bankruptcy protection!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...589/story.html

I wonder what, if any, effect this could have on the pilot project that Metrolinx was going to pay for. Although I was skeptical at first at it's success in Hamilton I believe now that Hamilton should test the waters and maybe come up with their own take on this system. (I would not being saying this if it was completely coming from local coffers, but we deserve plenty of that metrolinx money and should use it instead oif lose it.)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:42 PM

I've ridden up James mtn rd before - it's the steepest. Not really recommended. Queen hill is freshly paved, with zero space for bikes. If you are looking for climbing exercise, your best bet for space on a paved access is claremont. If you just want to get up the hill without stairs, there's the jolley "bike lane", or at the foot of john there's a gravel path that leads to the top of upper james - steep - rideable if you are hardcore, easily walked if you aren't. Or either of the rail trails - one goes way east from corktown park, the other goes way west from reservoir park - those are the easiest grades. Th emost direct option is the john street "Ramp".

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 11:00 PM
Registered Drug User

Oh, wow, I never knew about that path from John Street. Awesome, I will definitely try that one.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:20 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
BIXI is filing for bankruptcy protection!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...589/story.html

I wonder what, if any, effect this could have on the pilot project that Metrolinx was going to pay for. Although I was skeptical at first at it's success in Hamilton I believe now that Hamilton should test the waters and maybe come up with their own take on this system. (I would not being saying this if it was completely coming from local coffers, but we deserve plenty of that metrolinx money and should use it instead oif lose it.)
If anything this might be even better for us, since we picked Social Bicycles. It'll be a chance to show Montreal and Toronto an alternative for their current system.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:27 PM

Via New Hope:

Thanks to a grant from the Hamilton Community Foundation, New Hope Community Bikes has been able to purchase a number of cargo bikes that will be available for short and long term rentals within the Crown Point neighbourhood. These bikes will help make cargo bikes attainable to people of all income levels and raise awareness about how versatile pedal powered transportation can be!

Images here.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:29 PM
Hammer'd

Great news for sure. Unfortunately I live a bit farther East than Crown Point though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:19 PM

Via A/N Blog, Before & After: 25 of New York City’s Most Transformative Road Diets shows off newly humanized streetscapes (ably illustrated w/interactive image sliders).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 7:32 PM

SoBi update.

They have a Hamilton website here: http://hamilton.socialbicycles.com/

You can recommend/vote on rack locations here: https://my.socialcyclist.com/home

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 8:50 PM

Hamilton Bike Share Coming this Summer
(Raise the Hammer, Ryan McGreal, Feb 14 2014)

A new Bike Share is rolling into Hamilton. With a new website and a local non-profit organization to administer the program locally, work is underway to launch the service this year.

According to a City news release, the new service will launch in "early summer" with 750 bicycles and 80 stations. That is actually higher than the 650 bikes and 65 stations specified in the proposal submitted to the City by Social Bicycles, the company behind the program.

A preliminary station map has proposed station locations ranging from Dundas to Wentworth Street and from the North End to the Escarpment.

Organizers are still soliciting feedback on proposed station locations. You can suggest a location using SoBi's Social Cyclist smartphone app, available on Android and iPhone. Alternately, you can submit ideas by email at info@hamiltonbikeshare.ca or by phone at 905-546-2424 x2553.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:00 PM
Burger Connoisseur

This is great but no stations on top of the mountain?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:28 PM
Hammer'd

No stations East of Wentworth either. I figured they would have at least put one in at Main and Ottawa, Cannon and Ottawa and Barton and Ottawa. It is the first year of service though. If it proves successful, I'm sure they will expand it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:49 AM
Ham-burgher

I thought it looked a bit too limited as well, even for a first phase.

But since bikes can be locked away from stations (for an additional fee) I wonder if they'll look at the spatial patterns of that behaviour before deciding on where to expand the station network in the next phase?

Still, you'd think going farther east to Ottawa St. and south to Fennel would be no-brainers.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 8:58 PM

I'd hate to see the limited metrolinx resources spread too thin in phase one. Given a fixed budget for stations and bikes, it makes sense to choose the coverage area in order to meet the recommended spacing between stations (300 m according to itdp - http://www.itdp.org/documents/ITDP_B...ning_Guide.pdf) - check out Kevin Love's comments on RTH: http://www.raisethehammer.org/articl...#comment-95953

If we can only afford 80 stations with the metrolinx money and we tried to cover east to Ottawa plus the mountain, and that resulted in 1km between stations, would that be a good idea?

Osler to Ottawa / Fennel to Burlington street is 31 square km and that does not include downtown dundas. bixi toronto covers 12 sq km... can we afford a system 3 times the size of toronto?

this phase one service area is something like 15 sq km. I'm actually really excited about this system map.

(btw in case you haven't used it, this tool is fun: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...lator-tool.htm

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Good point. Spreading it too thin to start wouldn't be wise.

I was in Minneapolis a few years ago and spent an evening on a bicycle from their bike share system. It was a terrific way to see more of the city, particularly the riverfront which was a bit of a hike from my hotel. Anyway, when I was done I found it challenging to find a station to drop off the bike - the first few I saw were full and it took me some time to find one with an available slot since they seemed far apart (though I didn't have handy access to a station map and could easily have missed some)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:19 AM

Cannon Street bike lanes will cost $1.6M, city says
(CBC Hamilton, Samantha Craggs, Mar 14 2014)

City estimates show it will cost an eye-popping $1.6 million over three years to put bicycle lanes on Cannon Street. But several councillors say it’s not enough for them to withdraw their support for the project.

A new staff report says the city will spend $867,200 on capital costs to build two-way bike lanes from Sherman Avenue to Hess Street in Hamilton’s lower city. It will also spend $728,970 over three years to operate the lanes, including waste collection and snow removal.

That’s up from the $600,000 public works manager Gerry Davis estimated it would cost when councillors voted in September to implement the lanes.

The numbers “certainly raised the hair on the back of my neck,” said Coun. Terry Whitehead, who represents Ward 8 on the Mountain.

But the city has gone too far on the project to turn back now, he said, likening it to “putting the toothpaste back in the tube.”

Coun. Robert Pasuta, who represents Ward 14 in Flamborough, was surprised to hear the numbers too.

“That’s a lot of coin,” he said.

The staff report, which the general issues committee will vote on Wednesday, estimates $598,000 to build the lanes. This includes a separator between car and bicycle traffic and traffic signals facing in both directions on the one-way street. The report builds in a 25-per cent contingency fund of $149,500.

Staff also estimate spending $242,990 per year — with a 10-per cent contingency fund — to operate the lanes.

The capital costs will come from Ward 2 and Ward 3 area rating budgets. Another $200,000 will come from a reserve set aside for red-light cameras.

The operating cost will come from a tax stabilization reserve in 2014 and become a general budget item in subsequent years.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:18 AM
Ham-burgher

I'm glad the costs haven't spooked council. But I'm surprised nobody asked about operational costs when the idea was introduced.

The capital cost itself isn't a whole lot more than the initial estimate, but the way CBC's story is presented is a bit confusing - a total of $867,200 in the second paragraph, but then $598,000 lower down, and the $149,500 contingency must be additional given the percentage noted. That leaves a difference from $867k, so what else is in the project budget?

It would be nice to have some comparative figures for the operation/maintenance of regular traffic lanes, to put that figure into context.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 1:46 AM
Ham-burgher

Bike shares, bike paths, bike lanes... all good and worthy of discussion as important issues for any city. But this is a little different, and it matters a lot in terms of the impact it makes.

To the people that made this happen:
What a great thing to do.

Giveaway keeps bikes out of the scrap yard
(Hamilton Spectator, March 15 2014)

Downtown Bike Hounds doesn't sell kids' bikes. They just give them away.

"We don't want to sell kids' bikes, we just want kids to have bikes," shop owner Sean Burak, 36, says. "We want to keep every bike out of the scrap yard."

On Saturday morning, Burak and friend Robert Iszkula, 30 — who opened his own bike shop on Locke Street last year — parked dozens of pint-sized bicycles at the corner of Locke and Herkimer Streets for their first annual giveaway.

Burak has been giving away kids' bikes here and there since he first opened shop in 2008 (first on Cannon Street East, now located on John Street North).

But this year, the cyclist-enthusiast pair decided to save up their bikes and give them away all at once — offering tune-ups and test rides on the spot.

Anyone riding by was invited to bring their own bikes, too, for a spring tune-up.

"It enables people to get biking again," Iszkula said Saturday morning, wrench in one hand, coffee in the other.

"People bring in bikes with, like, one flat tire that they were going to throw in the garbage," Burak says. Nine times out of 10, he says, they're perfectly good.

As families came by to scoop up a free bike Saturday, many ended up returning with old ones — outgrown or broken that had been collecting cobwebs in garages and basements.

Jeff Tessier brought daughter Maura, 7, who picked out a sparkly purple number. A half hour later, they returned with three bikes Maura and her brother had outgrown.

"We have no use for them anymore," Jeff said. "They can give them to kids that can use them — it's really awesome what Sean and Rob are doing."

Another family stopped by was the Vanderkwaak gang — avid cyclist couple Heidi and Reuben made headlines back in 2011 when they headed out on a year-long cycling journey around the continent with their two young kids in tow.

While neither young Eden or Harper needed a new bike, they are happy to support anything cycling-related. The family is heading a 'Kidical Mass' group ride on the second Sunday of every month.

"It's part of a global movement… designed to get kids out biking, on streets," Reuben said.

There's this tendency, he says, that kids need to ride their bikes in the park.

"But you can ride your bike to the park, safely," he says.

When they started the ride last year, they got between five and 20 riders each month. Now, with flyers and a Facebook group, they're hoping to see it grow. The rides start in Corktown Park and end up at a destination such as Gage Park or Bayfront Park.

For more information on the ride, visit the Kidical Mass Facebook group.

Anyone with old kids' bikes looking to donate them are welcome to drop them off at Downtown Bike Hounds (19 John St. N., 905-525-9497) or Bike Locke (246 Locke St. S., 905-769-4320).

At final count Saturday, they gave away almost 20 bikes and had another 10 donated in return. Burak says they are planning another giveaway for early spring.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:50 PM

Found this interesting video on Cycling in the US from a Dutch perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2THe_10dYs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure