HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: stay with RBT or do LIGHT RAIL
RBT 18 43.90%
LIGHT RAIL 21 51.22%
look for something else 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:03 PM

Should winnipeg stay with rbt or do lrt

Winnipeg rabid transit system is hot mess right now. i think winnipeg need to move to new better plan like light rail system why building new infrastructure for rabid bus if can use raillines inside city limits to light rail and do metro bus system at the same time.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:16 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:17 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:28 PM

I voted for staying with BRT. The priority right now should be on maintaining the commitment to BRT and actually getting something resembling a network built.

Stopping to ponder the merits of a switch to LRT right now would just stall progress even more than it already has.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:26 PM

I definitely do not want rabid busses running lose all over town.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:31 PM

We debate this topic every now and then. You can't simply just use the rail lines for an LRT system. Longer distance commuter lines are more reasonable.

But the railways need to buy in and need to be paid. The crosstown rail lines in the City are the main tracks and will not be allowed to operate LRT on those lines. Railways may be more accepting to building another track within the right of way. But likely not on the main tracks again. The railways really don't give two shits about anything other than their money. I'm surprised CN agreed to let the City use the Letellier Sub for BRT. That was agreement was done ages ago. They didn't want anything to do with extending BRT through St. B next to the rail line.

Let's get the downtown BRT situation sorted out. I'm thinking a streetcar system is likely more reasonable than full blown LRT at any point in our lifetimes.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 10:11 AM

I'm into rebuilding the old tram network (mix of streetcar and LRT down boulevards) and gradually building out a suburban rail system using existing rail ROWs and DMUs. Pitch it to suburban NIMBYS by building grade separations for the freight lines, then throw in a siding and platform.

So, say, Provencher, Marion, and Fermor get grade-separated crossings and, at the same time, a rail station with direct service to downtown. That won't trigger anyone because 500m on an underpass is fine; it's the transit system that's a waste of money. Start off trundling a single DMU back and forth and let demand build. Add more track until you're off the freight line entirely, then get more trains, double track, electrify. In 30 years you have an S-Bahn line and nobody even noticed it happen. By then, suburbanites will be so used to taking the train downtown, they won't even care that they've lost lanes of traffic to the urban tramways.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:32 PM

I would have said LRT but I am not so sure now. Winnipeg should already have a great BRT system, we should be a showcase city for modern bus systems and BRT considering we have new flyer here.

I think we should work on actually having an excellent and modern BRT system. We should avoid at all costs putting trams/LRT on the street. Putting a tram at grade is not what we want to do if we want rapid transit. If you want to replace BRT then you should replace it with something just as fast or faster. Putting an LRT at grade will not do that.

The only way I would really support building an LRT is if was entirely or mostly grade separated and high platform. That it was meant to run as much like a metro as possible. We should avoid these low floor tram/lrt projects that run at grade.

What I would really like to see is rail system like the Vancouver skytrain. A light metro system. I think Winnipeg is a good candidate for such a system. We need to build a system looking at what the population will be like in 20,30 years down the road.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan