HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 10:41 PM

Does anyone know what they are building off Fox street near The Casey? Just noticed an elevator stack going up the other day.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Context looks great to me.
Yep. I agree. I live in the neighborhood, and not only do I think this will fit right in, but as far as I’m concerned, the more density the better. This neighborhood is already fairly dense and walkable, but it’s still too car oriented and I would love to see the overall density increase to the point where it organically becomes more transit oriented.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 11:18 PM

Construction Cams:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/saunders/1709 [1709 Chestnut]

https://app.oxblue.com/open/buildmark/thecoloradan [The Coloradan]

https://app.oxblue.com/open/saunders/16 [16 Chestnut #1]

https://app.oxblue.com/open/saunders/16 [16 Chestnut #2]

Also curious about the project on Fox, looks like the elevator cores are already pretty high...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Does anyone know what they are building off Fox street near The Casey? Just noticed an elevator stack going up the other day.
I believe it will be a Self Storage

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Yep. I agree. I live in the neighborhood, and not only do I think this will fit right in, but as far as I’m concerned, the more density the better. This neighborhood is already fairly dense and walkable, but it’s still too car oriented and I would love to see the overall density increase to the point where it organically becomes more transit oriented.

Im all about the density and walkability and am perfectly fine with the project, but I dont see how this would 'fit right in'. The only thing remotely similar in the neighborhood in terms of style and height would be the Alexan Uptown which looks like a burning dumpster full of diapers, and sticks out a lot. Luckily this project is much better, but it is far different from the surrounding Victorians or brownstones or more recent apartments like One City Block, Uptown Square, St Lukes Lofts, Swallow Hill, or the new one up on York.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 5:00 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

It's an 8-story project, only three stories taller than the 5-story projects nearby. I don't think three stories changes much in terms of context in a downtown-adjacent area. Plus, Park Avenue as an arterial is natural location for higher-density buildings.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
It's an 8-story project, only three stories taller than the 5-story projects nearby. I don't think three stories changes much in terms of context in a downtown-adjacent area. Plus, Park Avenue as an arterial is natural location for higher-density buildings.
And the city agrees with that, which is why Park Ave has several lots zoned higher density: mostly 8 stories, with a couple of 5-story zoning, mixed use.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:06 PM
Landbarge Captain

New rendering of the building at Park Ave. and Welton is up on Denver Cityscape

Source: http://www.denver-cityscape.com

This has gone from cruise ship to something I kind of like!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
New rendering of the building at Park Ave. and Welton is up on Denver Cityscape

Source: http://www.denver-cityscape.com

This has gone from cruise ship to something I kind of like!
I still dislike it. I would like to start a Go Fund Me to send everyone at Kephart back to architecture school. I have been holding this in for a while but they truly are horrible. This project is not as offensive as some of their other projects but is still pretty bad.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I still dislike it. I would like to start a Go Fund Me to send everyone at Kephart back to architecture school. I have been holding this in for a while but they truly are horrible. This project is not as offensive as some of their other projects but is still pretty bad.
I agree. It's not that the project is so horribly bad, its just that its so cookie cutter with so many other projects in Denver. Perhaps it will look better completed than the drawings suggest - that happens sometimes. The drawings don't seem to be of the highest quality.

That's why I like the new 17th Avenue project - some interesting new angles, variation both vertically and horizontally, and a mix of colors and materials that work well together.

Be interesting to look at the 20 biggest apartment projects in Denver built or under construction in the past 5 years. Which would you give an "A", or "B" to for design, as opposed to "C" or worse? I'm afraid the A and B list is quite short, from my perspective.

For me, Steele Creek and Coda are in the A/B category, as is MOTO and MyBlock in Cap Hill, Cadence and Platform in Union Station, Solera and Douglas in Ballbark. There's probably others.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:13 PM

^ I agree with Cherry Creek, I think the earth tones should go and say for some greenish or blue glass-how about a pointy top atop those elevator cores thats blueish at the base and white on top to mimic our mountains. Just some ideas otherwise this is a much better design, heck Welton St should be re-named Welton Warf with thoes other cruise ship type designs going in..

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:49 PM

Here we go again. Pretty much the same bill we've already seen four times. I have a feeling it's going to die in committee again.

Colorado Senate approves major construction-defects reform

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:10 PM

^ Yep this could be true as the House seems to have a few more gutless politians than the Senate does.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Here we go again. Pretty much the same bill we've already seen four times. I have a feeling it's going to die in committee again.

Colorado Senate approves major construction-defects reform
Politicians seem to have lost the art of making a deal. You used to get stuff like this done by making it a priority and then "horse trading" with the other side on things that you may not like, but that you can live with, in order to get them to make a deal.

It seems increasingly, politicians just dig in and get nothing done rather than doing the hard work of "making deals" and compromise.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:42 PM

Nice little article on the topping off of TAXI's latest office building (FLIGHT).

http://milehighcre.com/topping-out-o...taxi-campus-2/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:46 AM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post

Reminds me of Lady Elaine Fairchild's "Museum Go-Round". Thank the heavens Denver didn't decide to get all colorful with this design. Where is King Friday when Denver clearly needs a solid, authoritarian hand in good architectural aesthetics?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:48 AM

Look like 1833 N Emmerson St is moving forward.

Quote:
The $15 million development will include 85 micro-apartments, addressing a growing demand for small-sized and more affordable apartments in downtown.

http://www.allanteproperties.com/inv...rtunities.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Look like 1833 N Emmerson St is moving forward.

http://www.allanteproperties.com/inv...rtunities.html

It looks like an old apartment building is currently located there which will be razed. Will be interesting to see if this a trend - there are tons of run down old apartments in Cap Hill, Uptown, and even North Congress Park that probably have similar redevelopment opportunities.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:47 PM

Did one of the Country Club Towers cranes come down, or was it just hidden from where I was today?
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West