HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 9:41 PM
Me?!?

TecPort to serve up 4 restaurants

Thursday, September 02, 2004
BY SUE GLEITER
Of The Patriot-News

Four restaurants, including a Fuddruckers, will open early next year at the edge of the TecPort Business Center near Harrisburg Mall in Swatara Twp.

The national burger chain will be joined by an Isaac's Restaurant and Deli, an upscale European pizza place and a large-scale chain restaurant with a liquor license, said Don Cappetta, managing general partner for the site's developer, Friendship Road Development LLC.

The four restaurants will be retro-fitted into the former Canteen Building off Friendship Drive. It once was headquarters for Miller Brothers, a local vending company.

"The location was unbelievable right next to Bass Pro Shops. It doesn't get any better," Cappetta said.

The outdoor shop, expected to draw shoppers from around central Pennsylvania, is scheduled to open in mid-November at the mall in the former site of Lord & Taylor.

Earlier this year, Ruby Tuesday opened at the TecPort and a second restaurant is rumored to be opening on the property.

Studies have shown there will be room for six restaurants in the area with traffic from Interstate 83, nearby office workers and shoppers from the mall, Cappetta said.

"We're going to try and do something snappy. This building is going to jump," he said. "We're on the fast track."

Ground is expected to be broken in a couple of weeks with completion scheduled for mid-February. The restaurants will be built as free-standing units about one foot apart from each other and separated by adjoining brick walls.

The 22,500-square-foot building will be cut down to about 19,700-square-feet to construct the four restaurants.

Fuddruckers has signed a contract and will build its restaurant in a 6,500 square-foot space. The chain is known for its made-to-order burgers diners top themselves at a fixings bar.

The Lancaster-based Isaac's is due to sign a contract in the next week, Cappetta said. This would be the chain's 20th restaurant. The chain has built its reputation on sandwiches named after birds.

Cappetta could not reveal the pizza shop's owner, but said the pizzas will not be made in the traditional pizzeria way. "It's going to be little ones like you'd get in Italy," he said.

Negotiations are under way with a national chain restaurant to open with a liquor license in the fourth space.

"I think that whole complex will be phenomenal for everybody. You take the workers over there. If they want to come over for food or cocktails after work they can come right over. We're so excited," Cappetta said.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2004, 1:26 AM
joining the rail club

great news Dave...the economy here is really taking off. i'm really impressed with all the infill and retail development in the Harrisburg area. these restaurants wouldn't be going in unless they really thought there was a need for them. i'm also looking forward to Bass Pro Shoppes opening, but i don't think i'll be around to see it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2004, 2:30 PM
Me?!?

Did you see how big that Bass Pro Shop is now?!? I drove by it the other day for the first time in a few weeks and I was floored!!! I know they said it was going to be the 2nd largest in their chain, but damn!!! If that is the 2nd largest, I'd love to see the first.

Some more good news:

Looking good

thanks to renovations at the state Capitol

Preservers build up to a centennial

Saturday, September 04, 2004
BY NATHAN CRABBE
For The Patriot-News

The State Capitol will be looking as good as new just in time for its 100th birthday.

As the Capitol's major restoration projects wind down, plans are gearing up for the building's centennial celebration. Those plans include art exhibits, panel discussions and educational events in the months leading up to the 100-year anniversary of the Oct. 4, 1906, dedication.

For the actual day, planners hope to attract residents from across the state for a re-dedication ceremony.

"It's something that we can all take pride in," said Ruthann Hubbert-Kemper, executive director of the Capitol Preservation Committee.

The Legislature allocated $250,000 for the centennial in this year's budget. The preservation committee also plans to solicit donations and sell corporate sponsorships to pay for events, Hubbert-Kemper said.

The planning of the centennial marks something of a shift for the preservation committee, which since 1982 has spent $54 million to reverse years of deterioration and restore the Capitol to its original glory.

The most significant work should be done in time for the centennial, Hubbert-Kemper said.

But maintaining the building is a task that will continue indefinitely, said Tom Darr, who represents the state courts on the preservation committee.

Still, Darr said "the building itself is going to be in great shape in 2006."

A gala ball and fireworks probably will be held the night before the centennial, Hubbert-Kemper said.

While she has high hopes for the centennial, she concedes the original dedication will be hard to match.

Then, Harrisburg was festooned with 9,000 lights and its streets packed with tens of thousands of state residents.

President Theodore Roosevelt gave the event's keynote speech and told reporters that the Capitol was "the handsomest building I ever saw."

Hubbert-Kemper hopes to lure a president for the centennial, but those plans have to wait until after the Nov. 2 election.

For now, she's trying to arrange for a Roosevelt impersonator and a few of the former president's relatives.

Several special events are being planned prior to the anniversary. The committee has started a series of exhibits in the Capitol Rotunda focusing on artwork throughout the building.

A Capitol treasure hunt for schoolchildren and a treasure-themed parade are planned, playing off the Capitol's designation as a historic treasure.

Planners are also discussing a series of panel discussions on each decade of the last 100 years, said Jeanne Schmedlen, director of special projects for House Speaker John Perzel, R-Philadelphia.

The preservation committee is also looking at creating several items to sell at the centennial, including an update of a commemorative book sold at the dedication.

Hubbert-Kemper said she'd like to borrow or reproduce other items sold at the dedication, such as commemorative plates and paperweights.

She's also searching for historical photographs and relatives of the workers who helped build the structure.

While the centennial is still more than two years away, she said plans are starting to require attention.

"It's not really that far off when you start working on things," she said.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2004, 1:27 PM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Did you see how big that Bass Pro Shop is now?!? I drove by it the other day for the first time in a few weeks and I was floored!!! I know they said it was going to be the 2nd largest in their chain, but damn!!! If that is the 2nd largest, I'd love to see the first.
:carrot:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2004, 11:06 AM
joining the rail club

yo Dave...these projects are about to kick off. funding is already secured

The following is a list of Congressman Holden's high priority earmarked projects in HR 3550:

<b>Dauphin County
Project Description Amount</b>

Extension of Third Street from Interstate 83 to Chestnut Street, Harrisburg, PA <b>(Southern Gateway Project)</b>
$5,000,000

Linglestown Square, roadway and intersection improvements, Lower Paxton Township, PA
$3,000,000

Rail Bridge Removal and intersection improvements, Cameron and Paxton Streets, Harrisburg, PA
$1,400,000

Intersection improvements at PA Route 209 and Water Company Road, construction of a bridge and access enhancements to Nature and Arts Center, Upper Paxton Township, PA
$500,000

State Street and Mulberry Street Bridge Lighting project, Harrisburg, PA
$4,000,000

Old Posted Sep 8, 2004, 11:07 PM
Me?!?

AWESOME news, thanks Chris!!! The bridge projects really make me happy. The Market St. Bridge looks so awesome now, and these bridges will add to the whole effect. Also, did you notice how much better the lighting in the city is these days? Keep it coming Harrisburg!!!

And to think, we will watch our DT grow out right before our very eyes (Northern & Southern Gateway projects). You just can't beat that!!! The progress here is amazing.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2004, 11:40 PM

i'm really excited about the state street lighting project...is this just for street lighting, or is it architectural lighting? imagine all of the curches on this street with dramatic lights on the spires and facades...hooray harrisburg

Old Posted Sep 9, 2004, 1:13 PM
joining the rail club

i think those amounts are just for the bridges harrisburger...there already is new historic lighting along state street from the bridge to the new walnut street intersection. there is a new traffic light planned for that intersection. there are also plans to widen walnut street from state street to progress avenue (through penbrook), which would greatly help with traffic congestion and parking.

what penndot really needs to do is rehabilitate the state street bridge. everytime i go over it my car bounces up and down...the road surface is terrible. the sidewalks are also terrible and need redone. with some work, state street could become the grand boulevard it used to be.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2004, 10:27 PM
Me?!?

Authority OKs pacts for Amtrak rail station

Thursday, September 09, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority unanimously approved agreements yesterday for an Amtrak train station at Harrisburg International Airport, but not before authority members expressed concern about a $4.5 million funding shortfall.

Only about $8 million in funding -- including $2 million from HIA -- for the approximately $12.5 million project is in place, but the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is scurrying to cobble together the rest, airport Aviation Director Fred Testa said.

"We will not go forward unless all of the funding is in place, and they're working on it," Testa assured authority members.

He said PennDOT had an Oct. 30 deadline to come up with a funding plan so the Amtrak board can vote on the agreements at its November meeting.

Testa predicted that Norfolk Southern Railroad, which uses track on the site, will approve the agreements before then.

If a new train station opens at HIA, Amtrak would close the one in Middletown, which serves about 100 passengers a day, Testa said.

"Amtrak is absolutely adamant they won't run both stations. They want to close Middletown because it's on a curve," he said.

Airport officials couldn't say whether a train station at HIA will generate more rail or airport traffic.

Airport authority member John Ward said he and fellow board member Clifford Jones have agreed to help lobby the state Legislature for funding for the station, which is part of a $240 million expansion project at HIA.

Originally, airport officials had hoped the station would open when the new terminal and parking garage at HIA opened on Aug. 29, but negotiations with the railroads stalled.

In the meantime, the station's cost climbed from an initial estimate of $10 million because of steel and other construction material price increases.

"It's key that we sign these agreements and get this moving," said Ward, who is president of the non-profit Modern Transit Partnership, formed in 1997 to promote a proposed commuter rail line between Lancaster and Carlisle.

"I think what you're going to see is the money will be provided in stages," Jones said. "It may not be in one fiscal year, but they're going to provide the money."

The airport authority, which would build, operate and maintain the train station, may have to take out a State Infrastructure Bank bridge loan that PennDOT would find the funding to repay, HIA officials said.

"Part of this is to be taken on faith that [the state and Amtrak] are going to keep their word," Testa said. "Someone is going to have to take the first step."

PennDOT spokesman Rich Kirkpatrick said yesterday that the agency is looking for ways to reduce the cost of the project and to find the remaining funding.

"We don't have the answers yet," he said.

Before approving the seven agreements -- which covered track and station easements, reimbursement of Amtrak's estimated $2.8 million share of the work and the station's operation -- airport authority members added two amendments.

They made their approval contingent on funding becoming available and on a guarantee that the financially troubled Amtrak, or its successor, will provide service.

Testa said that once the funding issue is settled and both railroads sign the agreements, the project could go out to bid as early as next spring.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2004, 1:06 AM
joining the rail club

^ well at least it's a step in the right direction. i hope this station does get built. it will be an asset to amtrak, HIA, and the new regional rail system. too bad about closing middletown, but i've seen that station and it's in rough shape.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2004, 2:21 AM
joining the rail club

i actually think they are going about this wrong. i'm really supportive of the technology aspect of this but i see something much more grand here. this should be a university built with a full liberal arts/humanities, technology, medicine/nursing, law, ect...curriculum. i'm not doubting the need for a technology (math/science) based college, but it needs to be more well rounded in order to compete with other schools of the like. and it will definately attract many more students who will help to stabilize the financial burdon of founding a university like this and starting from scratch. i would suggest these:

1. buy the Dixon Univ. Center from the SSHE and make that the the law school with some other curriculum based there, like adult education, etc. buy adjacent buildings and start the foundation of a uptown campus. those buildings actually have a storied history. a new SSHE building can be built in downtown that would serve as the headquarters and provide adult based curriculum.

2. turn the Polyclinic Med Center into a new Harrisburg University Medical Center with the founding of a new college of medicine, nursing, dental, and allied health science programs. this can be a partnership with pinnaclehealth. it's also relatively close to the Dixon Center.

3. buy the post office grounds downtown (16 acres) and adjacent land (Herr & Cameron) which is vacant or occupied by old steel mills and develop a centralized campus. it could have some highrise dorms, residential apartments, student centers, a library, research buildings and institutes, and of course academic and administrative buildings.

i foresee the building of a truely multifunctional, multifaceted school, that will provide job stability and job growth in the city and surrounding areas. it will spur development, retain educated people in many areas of study, and give a new face to Harrisburg that will be promoted well outside this area. it will draw people here...and they will stay. this could be huge....as large as the Univ of Delaware or the University of Pittsburgh. who knows.

<b>Harrisburg University's site, agenda are in flux</b>

Tuesday, September 07, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

This time next year, Harrisburg will have its own university as the long-planned Harrisburg University of Science and Technology begins classes.

But what will it offer? Who will attend? And where will it be?

So far, the answers to these questions score a grade of incomplete.

University officials admit that many specifics, including their target market and proposed curriculum, are still taking shape.

But it's likely that the new university will initially focus on adult students rather than typical college-age students, officials said.

"The demand right now is adult education," said Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who has shepherded the university concept for years.

And don't look for Harrisburg University to have a permanent location in the city by the time classes start. Negotiations to acquire the university's preferred site -- the U.S. Postal Service building in the 800 block of Market Street -- are dragging on longer than expected.

"It's not going at the pace I'd like," Reed said of the talks.

Still, Reed and other university officials insist they will get the building and grounds and have a $56 million to $64 million plan to overhaul the grounds into a university campus. It just won't be ready in time for next year's opening.

"The initial classes are likely to use temporary quarters," Reed said.

The most likely site is Harrisburg University's sister high school, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology High School, or SciTech High. That school's new digs just opened in the 200 block of Market Street.

Harrisburg University President Melvyn D. Schiavelli argued that the physical location of the university shouldn't make a difference. Instead, he said, success will depend on the courses offered and their relevance to local jobs.

"It's not the building, it's the programs," he said.

That's why the most profound decisions being made concern the university's mission and curriculum.

Long billed as a four-year university for college-age students, the school will initially focus more on adults looking for new skills in information technology and warehouse distribution.

These adults would gain training mostly through programs that offer certificates rather than full degrees.

For starters, university officials say, adult students will be easier to attract to an untested university.

And by focusing on certificate programs offering skills in information technology and distribution sciences, the university will serve the local economy by turning out prospective employees with needed skills.

"A whole lot of public and private employers bring folks in from overseas or other parts of the country to do their IT [information technology] support," Reed said. "If you complete a degree or a certificate in this subject area, you got a job."

In fact, the university's computer-centered curriculum will target clusters of technology-supported industries with ties to the midstate, including state government, health care, food processing and distribution.

"Rather than many programs, we'd rather have a few highly desirable programs," Schiavelli said.

Compare that to the much broader task of opening a four-year university appealing to traditional college students. Most graduating high school students and their parents require much wooing, with most of them touring several college campuses before settling on a favorite.

That segment of the market is least likely to choose an upstart college, Schiavelli said, adding that it will take more time to establish the university as a legitimate four-year institution for those students.

Still, unlike other upstart colleges, Harrisburg University will have a built-in feeder system in the form of the 2-year-old SciTech High.

The science- and math-heavy high school, which is a partnership with the Harrisburg School District, now tops 300 students from the city schools and beyond.

Those students will have the option of attending Harrisburg University. Most of them will be eligible for scholarships that will allow them to attend free, officials said.

"The students that go to SciTech will have preferential admission," Reed said, noting the potential enrollment boon to the university. "Many of them will get a full scholarship, and they won't pay a dime."

Old Posted Sep 11, 2004, 1:52 PM
Me?!?

Thanks for the info, Chris, and I agree.

Some more news:

Transit projects gas up on federal grants

Friday, September 10, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW AND FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

Two midstate transportation projects are getting revved up by millions in federal money awarded yesterday.

The Federal Transit Administration announced $5.1 million in grants earmarked for two long-planned projects.

The Derry Twp. Industrial and Commercial Development Authority will get $3.2 million for the construction of an Intermodal Center in downtown Hershey.

And Capital Area Transit received $1.9 million to help pay for preliminary engineering and environmental work along Corridor One, the 54-mile rail line between Lancaster and Harrisburg.

The Hershey facility will be an open-air bus transit center and passenger waiting area. Construction is expected to begin as early as October.

The center will be connected to a three-level, 351-space garage. Plans call for another 250 parking spaces to be added in the second phase of the project, to be completed sometime in 2006.

The center will combine plenty of parking with bus connections to Harrisburg and Lebanon, as well as the possibility for trolley and light rail service in the future.

"We surprised a lot of people who didn't think we'd get this money appropriated this year," said Derry Twp. Commissioner August "Skip" Memmi, who is also vice chairman of Derry's Industrial and Commercial Development Authority.

Memmi added that the Intermodal Center is part of a larger project intended to revitalize a two-block area in downtown Hershey.

The new parking area will be located next to the press building, which Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. is renovating for use as the company's headquarters.

Calls to Hershey Entertainment were not returned yesterday.

"This will revitalize two blighted blocks downtown," Memmi said of the overall project, which is expected to cost between $10 million and $12 million. Derry Twp. is seeking other federal and state money for the work, along with floating bonds.

CAT officials said they were happy to get the funding for the Corridor One project, but added that the money was expected nearly a year ago.

"We're thankful, but disappointed that it was such a long process," said James H. Hoffer, CAT's executive director.

CAT is working on an $80 million project to bring local train service to a 40.5-mile segment of Corridor One between Lancaster and just east of Mechanicsburg.

Without the funding, CAT was forced to tell its consultant, Gannett Fleming of East Pennsboro Twp., to slow the pace of work.

"We basically slipped four or five months," Hoffer said. "We had hoped to be finished in July or August."

CAT hopes to have the work done by the end of the year, with the final report in the hands of the FTA early next year.

The FTA must approve the engineering and environmental assessment before the project can move into final design and construction.

Hoffer blamed the delay in the funds to the absence of a federal transportation bill. The Transportation Equity Act -- 21st Century expired last September and hasn't been replaced.

Since then, transportation funding has been coming from a series of extensions passed by Congress.

CAT expects trains to start running between Lancaster and Harrisburg some time in 2006. Service west to just east of Mechanicsburg may begin some time in 2007. Service to Carlisle is expected in 2010.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2004, 1:54 PM
Me?!?

Objection to fence snags store plans

Township board had OK'd Wal-Mart

Friday, September 10, 2004
BY KELLY BOTHUM
Of The Patriot-News

A paperwork snafu could keep Wal-Mart out of Lower Paxton Twp., even though supervisors already approved the plan for a 223,806-square-foot supercenter.

When supervisors voted last month in favor of building a supercenter on Route 22 at the site of the Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church and School, representatives of the megaretailer had 15 days to accept the terms of the agreement.

The plan included nine conditions, most requiring approvals from local and state government agencies.

Wal-Mart officials took exception with a condition requiring the installation of a fence on the site abutting another property. The township said the fence must be acceptable to the adjacent property owners, something developers opposed.

According to Lower Paxton Twp. officials, Wal-Mart representatives never contacted the township to accept the conditions of the agreement as required by the township's land development ordinance.

A letter to the township from the engineering firm representing Wal-Mart said developers would be willing to accept the conditions of the plan once the fence requirement was removed.

The letter also stated developers would be willing to add a 6-foot vinyl fence adjacent to the property.

Because Wal-Mart never signed off on any of the terms in the required time, the plan for the supercenter was deemed denied, township manager George Wolfe said.

"It's a self-executing function of the ordinance," Wolfe said. "We're very surprised it happened this way."

In response, developers have filed a suit in Dauphin County Court asking for a reversal of the denial, arguing that fencing is not required under any township ordinance and is invalid.

Developers also said they were not properly contacted about the denial, and the decision did not cite the requirements of the township ordinance.

Attorney Ron Lucas, who represents the developers, did not return a call for comment.

If their attempt to reverse the decision fails, Wal-Mart can resubmit the plan, but it will fall under more restrictive commercial zoning regulations approved by the township since the plan was submitted last spring.

The denial was good news for attorney Steve Snyder, who represents Lower Paxton Residents for Responsible Growth, a group opposed to the planned Wal-Mart.

Snyder heard about the denial while researching the group's lawsuit appealing the supervisors' approval of Wal-Mart last month.

That suit alleges township supervisors had the authority to deny Wal-Mart's plan but violated their public responsibility.

Snyder said the group filed its suit to preserve its appeal, because Wal-Mart could win reversal of its plan denial.

He said members of the group were pleased with the denial, though they don't think this is the end.

"This gives us time to try to turn the heat up on the township," Snyder said.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2004, 2:37 PM
joining the rail club

walmart sucks

i also heard a rumor that one is being proposed for the Dillsburg area, near US 15. that is probably the fastest growing corridor on the west shore, so i can see why they are looking there. it's also far enough away from the mechanicsburg and carlisle stores that they feel it would do well. with the new store in upper Dauphin County, the one scheduled to open in Shippensburg, and the one on 22... i think the evil empire is trying to dominate this area!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2004, 2:57 PM
Me?!?

They are.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2004, 5:43 PM
joining the rail club

well, we knew it was coming...

<b>Starbucks' grand opening has Harrisburg buzzing</b>

Tuesday, September 14, 2004
BY SUE GLEITER
Of The Patriot-News

The Starbucks chain has officially percolated into Harrisburg.

After years of waiting for the Seattle-based company to pour its high-octane drinks in the city, customers lined up yesterday for cappuccinos, Frappuccinos and espressos

"I've waited four years for this," said Patricia Grim of East Pennsboro Twp. yesterday as she ordered a caffe mocha and a maple scone.

Since moving here from California four years ago, she said it has been hard finding a good cup of coffee.

"It was like moving into prehistoric [times] ... no Starbucks," said Grim, who works at the Department of Environmental Protection. "But I think Harrisburg is turning an edge."

The Starbucks cafe opened last week in the arcade that connects the Whitaker Center for the Science and the Arts to the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers and Strawberry Square. About 100 people, including local dignitaries such as Mayor Stephen Reed, gathered outside the restaurant yesterday for a grand opening celebration and ribbon cutting.

Servers passed out cinnamon twists and strawberry Frappuccino samples as four television crews set up.

An information booth just outside the Whitaker Center's second floor was transformed into the cafe with the chain's signature dim lighting, neutral color scheme and counter where energized baristas serve drinks. The cafe seats 24 people.

Despite the location off the beaten path, customers are finding the cafe. Over the weekend, a mix of clientele, including curiosity seekers and those on Sunday's Harrisburg Gallery Walk, stopped in for coffee -- a 16-ounce cup of coffee costs $1.70 plus tax.

"Everybody is excited. The number of people locally who come here is amazing," said John Stodghill, manager. "We heard so many comments. ... 'Harrisburg has hit the big time.'"

The cafe is run independently by the Whitaker Center under a licensing agreement similar to Starbucks cafes operating in hospitals and airports and on college campuses.

Whitaker president and CEO Byron Quann said people visiting the center or attending events indicated they wanted a place to sit down for light fare and coffee.

At first, he looked into offering food in the center's lobby or tapping a local restaurant to provide fare, but "decided one day to pick up the phone and call Starbucks."

The company responded by sending a representative who "calculated the likelihood of the success" of a Starbucks, Quann said.

"We knew there was no location in Harrisburg and a location like this should have one Starbucks. There's pent-up demand," said Dwayne Hoffman, chain regional district manager.

The 1,000-space Walnut Street Parking Garage, combined with the 340-room Hilton and proximity to Strawberry Square made the cafe an ideal match for the area, he said. In addition, foot traffic from the 18-floor Market Square Plaza, due to open in the spring, will funnel into the arcade.

"It makes this location the nucleus," Hoffman said.

The Whitaker cafe is the first self-contained Starbucks in the city, but not the first midstate place to pour Starbucks-brand coffee.

A Starbucks opened this year on Jonestown Road in Lower Paxton Twp., and the Barnes & Noble Bookstore in Camp Hill serves Starbucks drinks in its cafe.

In addition, Starbucks has opened a stand in the Capitol cafeteria, and two months ago, Crowne Plaza Harrisburg brought Starbucks products to its lounge and State House Restaurant.

There are plans for more Starbucks to open, including locations on the West Shore, Hoffman said. Reed said he envisions two more Starbucks opening in the city, including one at street level.

By the end of October, Starbucks will open at the Shoppes at Susquehanna Marketplace in Susquehanna Twp.

"They're going to take all the business," said Geno Anderson, a Crowne Plaza waiter and bartender. "I don't know what it is, but people love Starbucks."

At Sparky & Clark's, a coffee place across from the Whitaker on North Third Street, manager Amy Trout said so far, the coffee giant hasn't put a dent in business.

"All of my regulars have been here and are accounted for," she said. "People come in and hang out. Our regulars just love us."

SUE GLEITER: 255-8230 or sgleiter@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 11:59 PM
Me?!?

And to think, a year or so ago we, "Weren't big enough." Yet now we are big enough for 3+.

This will be interesting because the boundries have been extended...

City votes to expand downtown district

Wednesday, September 15, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's Downtown Improvement District has a new lease on life, and some new territory.

Faced with going out of business at the end of the year, the nonprofit agency that cleans downtown streets and promotes downtown businesses was renewed last night by the City Council.

By a 6-0 vote, the council authorized an expanded and reformulated version of the district that has been operating for 5 years.

An expiration date in the original ordinance would have forced the downtown improvement district, or DID, to close at the end of the year. The new ordinance extends its life until Dec. 31, 2010.

There are 190 taxable property owners in the expanded zone, which takes in an area from Front to Seventh streets and Chestnut to Pine streets.

The larger district, which is now being called a neighborhood improvement district, takes in most of Restaurant Row on North Second Street, as well as a portion of North Third Street.

Property owners in the affected area had the chance to reject the renewal, but only 11 opposed it.

The affected property owners will pay 1.5 mills a year in additional real estate taxes for the street cleaning, marketing and beautification activities of the agency. The extra tax translates into $150 for every $100,000 of a building's assessed value.

The nonprofit agency was created in 1999 to promote and beautify portions of downtown.

The improvement district is perhaps best known for its Zamboni-like vehicles that sweep downtown sidewalks and the more than 200 hanging baskets of flowers that decorate the area.

Officials claim they remove 6 to 9 tons of trash from city sidewalks every month.

The organization also staffs the city's information center on the first block of North Second Street, provides security and conducts marketing, promotional campaigns and special events, including the summertime PNC Saturdays series.

Previously, the district ended at Walnut Street. It took in the southern section of downtown, but not the restaurant and bar district north of Walnut Street.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2004, 1:59 AM
joining the rail club

this is GREAT news! thanks for the post Dave. i'm very happy with the extension of the DID into downtown. harrisburger...i know you worked for them. what do you think of the extension to 2010 and the additional area placed within the DID?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2004, 2:20 AM

yeah...i figured it would happen. the businesses/people who were against it for a while starting turning to our side a few months back. as for the actual expansion, i never understood the boundaries...ending at walnut never made sense, as the restaurants and businesses we would send visitors to were just across the street, yet they weren't in the district. i don't know the full details because i haven't worked there since kipona, but hopefully DID will officially become a non profit. this would let us keep sponsorship money to use for future items. before we were techniqually a branch of city gov. so we could never save money, it all had to go into the festivals and what not. with the non profit naming, we should be able to vastly upgrade our services....2010 should have been pushed back, but i guess it was just made for bureaucratic reasons...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2004, 2:51 AM
joining the rail club

doesn't the pine street border still cut part of restaurant row off though? why didn't they just throw the whole thing into it...like extend it to forster street?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations