HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 9:10 PM

now if they could only get a theme park down there...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 12:13 PM

Trader Joe's at 1324 Arch is a few weeks from opening per a post on Reddit. Already stocking food on the shelves. I'm very excited for this. Will be convenient from the BSL (speaking of North Broad Street development in. another thread). There is a parking garage above but I'm not sure if they're doing validated parking. This will certainly not be as easy of an in-and-out place as the one on Market Street.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:00 PM

Goldenberg Group selected to develop South Broad Street health center site

Quote:
Officials have selected the Goldenberg Group to develop the South Broad Street site where a city-owned health center had operated for nearly 60 years. That gives the company near-complete control of a full city block in one of Philadelphia’s most active areas of real estate development.

The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp., which is handling the property’s sale on the city’s behalf, said Friday that the Blue Bell-based company was chosen through a public-solicitation process that began in mid-2017.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:37 PM

Hopefully this will be the last development before they announce the new 1 billion dollar luxury hotel and event space in the Disney hole.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:42 PM

Philadelphia begins developer search for Navy Yard expansion, with apartments in the mix

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...27.html#loaded

Quote:
An expanded vision for South Philadelphia’s Navy Yard will be rolled out Friday, with a plan that includes ample space for dining and shopping, millions more square feet of labs and offices, and — for the first time — an around-the-clock residential population.

The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. (PIDC) plans to issue a solicitation for developers to transform 12 acres boasting historic industrial buildings into a dense community of apartments, shops, and offices while using a separate 97-acre tract to partly reprise its existing business-and-research park.

PIDC wants to sustain the Navy Yard’s success at drawing new businesses to the former military base by attracting a critical mass of full-time residents who can support a level of retail and services that daytime crowds alone can’t sustain, said Prema Katari Gupta, the city-affiliated nonprofit’s senior vice president for the Navy Yard.

“We exist to attract talent to Philadelphia and to the Navy Yard,” she said, “and the workforce is demanding more things to do.”

The Philadelphia Navy Yard, which employed 40,000 at its peak, came under city ownership in 2000 after the U.S. Defense Department decommissioned the site as a military base.

Under PIDC’s watch, developer Liberty Property Trust turned a centrally located 80-acre section of the Navy Yard into what’s known as the Corporate Center, a collection of contemporary buildings — some by renowned architects — comprising 800,000 square feet of office and lab space.

Tenants include British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline PLC, the Chinese biotech firm WuXi AppTec Inc., and homegrown financial firm FS Investments.

When Liberty decided to cease work on office projects such as those at the Navy Yard last October, nearly all of the Corporate Center’s development parcels had been built on or spoken for. Developer John Gattuso, a former Navy Yard executive, is working on one of the final projects there, a 136,000-square-foot office and laboratory complex for cancer-therapy firm Iovance Biotherapeutics Inc. of California.

Other remaining spaces in the core area are being set aside for a short-stay apartment building to be developed by Ensemble Investments LLC of Phoenix and as potential expansion sites for FS Investments and Adaptimmune Therapeutics PLC, another biotechnology firm, PIDC President John Grady said.

A historic barracks building within the Corporate Center’s boundaries, meanwhile, is to be converted into an upscale hotel. And the Navy Yard has a separate industrial zone that’s home to businesses such as Tasty Baking Co. and the RevZilla.com online motorcycle-gear store.

But much of the Navy Yard’s 1,200 acres still feels untamed or abandoned, especially after hours and on weekends, with deer dashing freely across parade grounds and decorative carp swimming through the flooded entrails of a former warehouse.

PIDC is now hoping to change that.

Part of its plan would transform a 12-acre site northeast of Urban Outfitters Inc.’s headquarters campus into what it hopes will become the Navy Yard’s “downtown,” according to an advance copy of the developer solicitation that was shared with The Inquirer.

The Historic Core District, as it’s being called, is largely bounded by 11th and 12th Streets, between Flagship Avenue and Normandy Place.

It is seen as accommodating 1,000 to 1,500 apartments in restored buildings, such as the former warehouse with fish in the basement and newly constructed ones, along with restaurants and shops to serve residents and nearby office workers and lab techs, Grady said.

The dwellings are permitted thanks to a recently concluded deal with the U.S. Navy that relaxes deed restrictions on the base that barred housing there. The restriction had been in place since the Navy Yard entered city ownership.

The other site in PIDC’s new development push is being called the Mustin District, after the former Henry C. Mustin Naval Air Facility airfield that once occupied much of the tract. Its 97 acres extend east from League Island Boulevard, bounded by the waterfront, and the Navy Yard’s near-northern border.

PIDC describes the tract in its solicitation as “largely a blank canvas for redevelopment,” calling on developers to clear the site of existing obsolete structures there before starting construction. The tract does not include the historic Mustin Field Seaplane Hangar building, which sits outside the PIDC’s section of the Navy Yard.

Grady said the Mustin District could support as much as three million square feet of new office, lab, and production space, emulating the Corporate Center’s atmosphere. But it could also potentially accommodate residential buildings along its quarter-mile waterfront, he said.

Developers have until Nov. 22 to respond to the solicitation with proposals for the sites, after which a shortlist of candidates will be selected to present further details of their plans. PIDC will decide whether to divide the sites among multiple developers or work with a single team after reviewing responses, Grady said.

“We really want to hear from the market,” he said. “The idea is to think in terms of districts.”

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:58 PM

If they propose million-dollar townhouses, I may move out of Philly in anger. There must be at least one 500 footer and ground floor retail on all sides. Basically, I want The Laurel dropped on this block. Anything less will be criminal.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
If they propose million-dollar townhouses, I may move out of Philly in anger. There must be at least one 500 footer and ground floor retail on all sides. Basically, I want The Laurel dropped on this block. Anything less will be criminal.
I think that's unlikely to happen. Apparently they consolidated all of the lots on the entire block. More info from the article:

Quote:
Goldenberg and Robert and Harvey Spear, owners of parking operator E-Z Park Inc., teamed up to bid for the property at 500 S. Broad St.

The Spears own the parking lot that occupies most of the rest of the block, along with three rowhouse properties between the lot and 15th Street. Goldenberg’s holdings on the block include the now-closed World Communications Charter School building, just south of the health center.

Combining the medical center site with those existing holdings gives E-Z Park and Goldenberg a 2.5-acre development site, comprising most of the block bounded by Broad and 15th Streets, between Lombard and South Streets.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
From what I've heard, you should be pleased

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Hopefully this will be the last development before they announce the new 1 billion dollar luxury hotel and event space in the Disney hole.
Haha. I was thinking the same thing. They should demo the whole block and pave it over so 8th and Market can have a companion lot on Broad Street.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:50 PM

So...now Goldenberg owns the 2 largest developable parcels in all of Center City...

We've seen how well this has gone over the last 20 years across town.

Other than 1213 Walnut Street and the Ayer, this dude has pretty much sucked at urban development. Look at this strip-mall laden shit sandwich:

https://www.goldenbergdevelopment.com/properties/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
So...now Goldenberg owns the 2 largest developable parcels in all of Center City...

We've seen how well this has gone over the last 20 years across town.

Other than 1213 Walnut Street and the Ayer, this dude has pretty much sucked at urban development. Look at this strip-mall laden shit sandwich:

https://www.goldenbergdevelopment.com/properties/
They did just finish the View 2 at Temple. The scale of that development is pretty impressive imo especially given the size of the View 1. Obviously different than real downtown developments, but it’s still a $200 million multiple high rise investment.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:33 PM

Wasn't there an attempt at some point within the past few years to place a historical designation on the property? Right, isn't this at Lombard and Broad?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
They did just finish the View 2 at Temple. The scale of that development is pretty impressive imo especially given the size of the View 1. Obviously different than real downtown developments, but it’s still a $200 million multiple high rise investment.
I didn't realize that was them? Is it not included on their website?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I didn't realize that was them? Is it not included on their website?
It's there under 'Under Construction'. I didn't realize they had given the new complex a different name, The Vantage.

So you got 'The View' which was phase 1: https://www.goldenbergdevelopment.co...le-university/

and you got 'The Vantage' which was/is phase 2: https://www.goldenbergdevelopment.com/leasing/vantage/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:51 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Wasn't there an attempt at some point within the past few years to place a historical designation on the property? Right, isn't this at Lombard and Broad?
Correct and in fact the Health Center #1 is on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places and thus protected from demolition. An overbuild is a likely possibility, with specifics subject to approval by the Historical Commission. I think too that if they consolidate the lots that will increase the height they can build to taking into account floor area ratio. The zoning geeks will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Correct and in fact the Health Center #1 is on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places and thus protected from demolition. An overbuild is a likely possibility, with specifics subject to approval by the Historical Commission. I think too that if they consolidate the lots that will increase the height they can build to taking into account floor area ratio. The zoning geeks will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
All the unprotected, actually historic buildings in this city and somehow this is on the register. I don't care if it's a great example of a particular architectural style. It's inappropriate for its location and doesn't create a great pedestrian experience on Broad. Perhaps worst of all, the Northern and Southern sides of the building are shaped by its deference to the automobile, a driveway to the south and parking lot to the North. These factors make it difficult to incorporate the building into a larger project that removes these automobile uses as the building is not designed to sit flush with another building but to be buffered by open automobile space.

At the end of the day, the purpose of the historic register is to improve the city. Generally the character of the city is improved when unique and often beautiful buildings are preserved. But saving this building benefits no one except a few architecture geeks. The experience of walking down this block will be negatively impacted if the developers are forced to incorporate its awkward mid block presence into their design. And the experience of the city's residents should be arguably the most important factor considered when putting a building on the register.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
All the unprotected, actually historic buildings in this city and somehow this is on the register. I don't care if it's a great example of a particular architectural style. It's inappropriate for its location and doesn't create a great pedestrian experience on Broad. Perhaps worst of all, the Northern and Southern sides of the building are shaped by its deference to the automobile, a driveway to the south and parking lot to the North. These factors make it difficult to incorporate the building into a larger project that removes these automobile uses as the building is not designed to sit flush with another building but to be buffered by open automobile space.

At the end of the day, the purpose of the historic register is to improve the city. Generally the character of the city is improved when unique and often beautiful buildings are preserved. But saving this building benefits no one except a few architecture geeks. The experience of walking down this block will be negatively impacted if the developers are forced to incorporate its awkward mid block presence into their design. And the experience of the city's residents should be arguably the most important factor considered when putting a building on the register.
I think what you say would be true if designation meant that this is enshrined with no ability for change. But, in reality, this can be built around and above (overbuild). And a facadectomy is possible, if not likely. The plan for the overall parcel definitely includes highrises. I know this.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:12 PM

I'm glad the Health Center is designated. I'd rather that Goldenberg have to contend with it and STILL build a tower than get a copy paste Cecil Baker building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:22 PM
build awesome buildings

more site prep work going on at festival pier, though again i couldn’t tell what. also, pier 25 is for sale (i hadn’t seen the sign before at least) - it’s the big parking lot just south of cavanaugh’s.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:25 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
more site prep work going on at festival pier, though again i couldn’t tell what. also, pier 25 is for sale (i hadn’t seen the sign before at least) - it’s the big parking lot just south of cavanaugh’s.
Any heavy equipment on site? Or are they starting work for fall festivities like beer garden, etc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development