HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:26 PM

Nov 15: The first walkway slabs for the Pumphouse being cast in a nice warm shop. We will ship them out and install next week.
https://twitter.com/HolzPrefab/statu...853302272?s=20

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:13 PM
BANNED

The horrific looking condo tower should have gone on the back side of the pumphouse building and out of sight, man Holz is involved in some ugly looking stuff!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The horrific looking condo tower should have gone on the back side of the pumphouse building and out of sight, man Holz is involved in some ugly looking stuff!
Remember there are plans for a phase 2 behind the pumphouse:

I personally don't mind the design; it's a little clunky and awkward but they were required to have it up on stilts so the pumphouse facade remained visible.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Remember there are plans for a phase 2 behind the pumphouse:

I personally don't mind the design; it's a little clunky and awkward but they were required to have it up on stilts so the pumphouse facade remained visible.
They should have just gone higher on the backside condo, obliterating the view of the facade of the pumphouse is about all they've done with the horrific looking abomination on the front! The main appeal of the pumphouse was the front facade and now it's hidden! Considering what else was built along waterfront another shitty looking building should fit in just fine!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:55 PM
BANNED

I get that this building isn't to everyone tastes, but they are building hundreds of architectural abominations on productive farmland at the edge of our cities... we should focus our energy on that garbage

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:56 PM

I agree that they didn't meet the goal of keeping the front facade visible. It's half-hidden, rather awkwardly. But keep in mind the pumphouse site had many rules the developers had to meet and many failed proposals. So I think this is a case where we should be happy that we are getting: Redeveloped and restored pumphouse building, high-density usage of the site, and most importantly (IMO), residential infill. That area still needs to hit a critical mass of residents in order to support more businesses. All of this outweighs the strange and clunky design, for me at least.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I get that this building isn't to everyone tastes, but they are building hundreds of architectural abominations on productive farmland at the edge of our cities... we should focus our energy on that garbage
Good reality check here.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:30 PM

It's unfortunate that the best view of this building will be hard to see as it faces Waterfront, and will be blocked by the cantilevered walkway from the busy side of the street.

Heard phase 2 is confirmed and will be starting construction in late spring.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:23 PM

I love the streetwall this clunker has given to waterfront drive, though.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Fair enough but that's exactly what they are building here in a location that shouldn't be "subjected" to that garbage as you call it!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:05 PM

This design should never have been allowed. It really ruins the view of the pumphouse which is very much an architecturally interesting building. It creates a dark unwelcoming presence along a stretch of street with lots of light and sun exposure. I don’t mind the phase two part, off to the back, but the space in front of the pumphouse would have made for a perfect little performance space, or a patio area for food carts, or a small walk up restaurant, or even a small community garden. Maybe even a fountain or a nice large public sculpture. It’s really unfortunate this was allowed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I love the streetwall this clunker has given to waterfront drive, though.
Definitely.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:10 PM

I really like this development it’s very imposing walking by, and I rather like it’s unique features of being on stilts.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:15 PM

are people really bemoaning the crappy setback courtyard area we had before that was home to that pile of gravel "art" installation two summers ago? LOLLLL

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:07 AM

I'm with Jeff, I'm not going to say it's a beauty but it's decent, and the street wall it forms is good too. So thumbs up from me.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:13 AM
BANNED

I was on the fence at first, but am now starting to warm up to it. Yeah, the facade of the Pumphouse facing the street is in an awkward position, but we will all live and this development will be a success.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:12 AM
BANNED

Some of the comments here are astounding, "sure the building on stilts looks like shit but we like it" ," too bad it obliterates the facade of the historic building we wanted to protect, but that's progress"

wow!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:46 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
I agree that they didn't meet the goal of keeping the front facade visible. It's half-hidden, rather awkwardly. But keep in mind the pumphouse site had many rules the developers had to meet and many failed proposals. So I think this is a case where we should be happy that we are getting: Redeveloped and restored pumphouse building, high-density usage of the site, and most importantly (IMO), residential infill. That area still needs to hit a critical mass of residents in order to support more businesses. All of this outweighs the strange and clunky design, for me at least.
Should have been designated 100% small local retail with no tower, or a smaller tower.

Again, why can't we copy Tokyo, Japan and make pedestrianized, safe, well lit, shopping districts with massive amounts of people, and a massive transit station nearby?

The Exchange District Wiki page mentioned something about a certain TV advocating for such on McDermot. Why can't we do something close to the former Pumphouse like that too?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:33 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Retail hasn't been able to gain traction there yet. Hopefully when these units and the new Great West Metals site are occupied retail will come.

I think you need to give up on your "why can't we copy Tokyo"....I mean, come on. I don't believe there could be a more unrelatable comparison. Tokyo has more people than Canada. They can support pretty much anything they wanted. Comparing a city of 35,000,000 people to a city of 800,000 is like asking why Niverville can't build 20-30 storey buildings like here in Winnipeg.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:49 PM
Formerly rypinion

The pumphouse apartment is starting to look way nicer and way more appropriate for Waterfront Drive than the Sky condo beside it. (And I live in Sky)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan