HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 8:08 PM

Has there been any more information provided to anybody here of late that would give an idea of when these new stadium drawings will be released to the public?

I'd also like to welcome our new posters to this stadium discussion.

Last edited by MaritimeCFLFan; Jan 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:03 PM

The stadium seems to have fallen off the radar of our ADD-riddled Mayor and Council with the arrival of the skating oval on the Common. They are now holding news conferences there and saying they want it retained after the Canada Games. All well and good, but they are concerned about the cost of maintaining the oval and are making statements about how good it would be to keep if only the money can be found, etc. A multi-million dollar stadium would appear to be beyond their ability to comprehend.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Stadium is still front and centre remember it`s been the holidays

City Council isn`t even back in session yet but I know Events NS and the Mayor and his city planners are looking at different designs of stadiums and are preparing to present these drawings to the Mayor and council and to the public. The one that is being focused on is a bowl type modular structure, 25,000 permanent seats with skyboxes, expandable to 35,000.

I hope they also present a better model in a Twin Double Decker style, similar to the original colored photo of a smaller Double Decker but twin them with 12,500 permanent plus seats on both sides, with skyboxes on both and concourses with washrooms and concession stands with open endzones so the stadium can be expanded to 45 to 50 thousand for major concerts and a GreY Cup game in Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Yes, Mayor Kelly said parial roof, referring the design posted by Events NS which by the way Fenwick, is idential to Winnipeg`s new stadium design if you check the photo of the Halifax proposed Dec. 24 the deadline bid illustration. It`s a see through partial roof, Ottawa is doing the same with one side of their new stadium too with the same type partial roof design.

One other important part to build a stadium which could save Halifax money is a GMP, Guarantee Maxium Price which Winnipeg is doing with there new stadium.

The statements that you are making are contrary to the real facts. Although I don't understand your obsession with a clear roof like the NS Event rendering by WHW Architects, the NS Events partial roof design looks nothing like the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Design which is a curved style and is white - http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...d-stadium.html . The renderings of the Frank Clair Stadium renovations show a white roof which is much larger than the Events Nova Scotia rendering and is supported differently - http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/publi...n_addition.pdf .

I doubt that there are any firm plans for a stadium and it sounds like you don't understand the definition of modular which should be a fairly simple term to understand. But if you don't, just look it up - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/modular. It has nothing to do with being bowl shaped, or made steel or concrete, or being too small to expand.

I think this is the type of stadium that you are thinking of - http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/zips/200...ision-stadium/ but I don't know for sure. Instead of making confusing descriptions of a stadium why don't you find a real stadium image on the internet and post it so that people know what you are talking about? Just repeating the same statement over and over again isn't going to get your point across.

PS: I think this is the Ottawa Stadium rendering (below) that you are talking about. (However, it is about 20,000 seats and obviously can't be expanded to 45,000 - 50,000 as you keep demanding). However, the Ottawa Council instead decided to renovate Frank Clair Stadium. One thing that I have learned over the past year is that renderings are often done to look impressive but not necessarily realistic.
(source: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=17532 )

But to have a large roof overhang without any internal supports, this is the type of support structure that you would need (Winnipeg Stadium proposal). This also shows why it is so costly with all the stadium concourses and massive roof structure - this is why I suggested some internal support columns.
(source: blueandgold.ca - which is now offline)

Wesipel, you have me confused and annoyed because I don't know why you keep insisting that I have inside information (I don't). A year ago on January 19 2010 I went to Halifax City Hall and left this physical model with Councillors Sloane, Hendsbee and Blumenthal (Councillor Watts was also at the meeting). I had done a 3D computer model and from that, a co-worker (Ho Tan Nguyen) built a physical model. Is this the bowl shaped model that you are referring to below (I am the funny looking person on the right).
(source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=33 )

I don't have any reason to believe that the HRM is planning to build such a stadium (if they do then the roof will need some internal supports). I estimated this to be expandable to 40,000 but I could be wrong. I have drawn many other 3D models since that time.

Whether you consider me to be "nasty" in my response to you isn't going to illicit any apology from me. You should consider some internet formalities such as not typing in all capital letters (it is analogous to yelling at people in type) and you shouldn't keep insisting that people aren't being honest with you (I don't have any inside information on what HRM council is planning).

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:16 AM

That Ottawa rendering sure does look awesome. However it looks like it would have been very expensive to build. Fixing up Frank Clair Stadium should be a bit cheaper.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:23 AM

I fear that with the start of the Canada Winter Games nearing and more media focus on this event that we may not hear much about a stadium until after they are over. Hope I am wrong as there seemed to be some momentum on the stadium issue.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeCFLFan View Post
I fear that with the start of the Canada Winter Games nearing and more media focus on this event that we may not hear much about a stadium until after they are over. Hope I am wrong as there seemed to be some momentum on the stadium issue.
I think that you are right but Mayor Kelly seems to keep mentioning it whenever he can. The following quote was on Halifaxnet.ca today ( http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Opinion...ents-in-2010/1 )

"And finally, many of you are wondering whether there’s a new stadium in our future. It’s not a matter of “if” but, rather, of “when!”

The New Year is full of promise; let’s take it one step at a time, eh.
"

There is a looming deadline to make a more detailed proposal to Soccer Canada (wasn't it around the end of this month?). So if the stadium is put on the backburner then Halifax might not get accepted as a possible host city for the 2015 FIFA Cup bid.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that you are right but Mayor Kelly seems to keep mentioning it whenever he can. The following quote was on Halifaxnet.ca today ( http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Opinion...ents-in-2010/1 )

"And finally, many of you are wondering whether there’s a new stadium in our future. It’s not a matter of “if” but, rather, of “when!”

The New Year is full of promise; let’s take it one step at a time, eh.
"

There is a looming deadline to make a more detailed proposal to Soccer Canada (wasn't it around the end of this month?). So if the stadium is put on the backburner then Halifax might not get accepted as a possible host city for the 2015 FIFA Cup bid.
Not sure about the deadline, I don't recall hearing any other than the Dec 24'th one but I could have missed it.

Good on you Fenwick for posting that halifaxnewsnet bit on Mayor Kelly. It's good to see he is still talking positive about a stadium.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Not sure about the deadline, I don't recall hearing any other than the Dec 24'th one but I could have missed it.
I found this regarding the deadlines.

(source: Chronicle Herald - posted by Dmajackson on Dec 9 2010 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=92 )
Quote:
Councillors differ on need for new stadium
Fisher: Venue needed even if city isn’t part of world soccer event
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Thu, Dec 9 - 4:54 AM

Even if the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup never comes to metro, council’s endorsement this week of efforts to make it a host city may finally get the ball rolling on a sports stadium here, said the regional councillor who led the charge.

Coun. Darren Fisher (East Dartmouth-The Lakes) said Wednesday that he firmly believes the municipality has a shot at becoming one of the host sites in the Canadian bid for the international soccer tournament.

Fisher made the motion at Tuesday’s committee of the whole session that resulted in the city pressing ahead with a bid to be a World Cup site.

The Canadian Soccer Association is hoping to land the tournament in this country, and at least six cities would be needed to play host. Events Nova Scotia is covering a $25,000 non-refundable bid fee for the Halifax bid. Expressions of interest must be filed by Dec. 24.

One of the requirements to host games is a stadium with a minimum of 20,000 seats.

Should Canada lose the bidding war or metro be shut out of a Canadian victory, Fisher said building an outdoor stadium is still a good idea.

A municipal manager’s comment during Tuesday’s meeting that staff will be looking in the viability of stadium here may have opened a window of opportunity, the councillor said.

"The impression that I got from what (he) said was that even if this does fall through and we don’t get to host these games, we will have a little bit of our homework done for the future," he said. "There’s a common feeling that this piece of sports infrastructure is needed in our community."

Canada is one of several countries preparing bids to deliver to FIFA by Feb. 11. A decision on a successful candidate to host the 24-team, 52-game spectacle is expected following final presentations in Switzerland in March.

Fisher acknowledged deadlines are tight, but feels the municipality can be competitive in the race for the World Cup. If successful, he said city leaders have a few years to secure funding for a venue, get it designed and have it built.
With Ian Fairclough, staff reporter
( mlightstone@herald.ca )

Also this quote from a CBC story - "Municipal staff will have a report on the subject ready in January, Kelly said." - (source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...kay-kelly.html )

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 1:02 PM
BANNED

Maritime CFL fan, not to worry, stadium talk still alive, CBC local radio were talking about it yesterday and if Canada wins the bid in early March, it will really heat up, I believe Halifax or Moncton will be picked as one of the six host cities.

Chile or Canada will be chosen to host the Womem`s World Cup!

Maritime CFL Fan, should Barker go after MacPherson?

Take Care!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 2:00 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
fenwick you think you know it all and you don`t even live in Halifax and you are rude so don`t bother relying to any of my posts please and I do have the facts and it is important that Halifax consider a Twin Double Decker style stadium with open endzones like Ottawa `s first model without the fixed endzone seats, versus a bowl modular type which Halifax now is considering and that is fact, if they build this bowl fixed type it will be limited to expand only to 35,000 and take away major event opportunities like the Grey Cup and major concerts and those are the facts, you disrespectful, ignorant person who thinks he knows it all, I don`t want to hear one more ignorant rude remark by you on my posts, you have done this to other decent people on this site as well, I suggest you remove yourself, we don`t need people like you on this site
As I said before, if Halifax decided to build a Cardiff City type stadium then I would be happy because I think it is a very good economical design. Just because that isn't what you think that Halifax should build it doesn't mean that everyone else must agree with you. Just state your views without trying to bully others into agree with you.

I also find it strange that your grammar has gone from being barely readable to now being fairly normal. My guess is that you are just playing games with all of us. I am sure that you consider your mind games to be highly intelligent but these silly games that you are playing are just childish.

I have pointed out the inconsistencies in your statements. That is why I doubt your claims of inside information. You also seem to want a permanent stadium open at both ends but not a fixed bowl stadium. However, the Ottawa proposal stadium above is closed at one end.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
As I said before, if Halifax decided to build a Cardiff City type stadium then I would be happy because I think it is a very good economical design. Just because that isn't what you think that Halifax should build it doesn't mean that everyone else must agree with you. Just state your views without trying to bully others into agree with you.

I also find it strange that your grammar has gone from being barely readable to now being fairly normal. My guess is that you are just playing games with all of us. I am sure that you consider your mind games to be highly intelligent but these silly games that you are playing are just childish.

I have pointed out the inconsistencies in your statements. That is why I doubt your claims of inside information. You also seem to want a permanent stadium open at both ends but not a fixed bowl stadium. However, the Ottawa proposal stadium above is closed at one end.
Lets keep it civil guys.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Personal attacks aren't allowed on the forum. Please focus the discussion on the topic at hand.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

I created a new thread (poll) aimed at trying to gauge what type of support a CFL team would receive among the posters here at SkyscraperPage.com. I know many of you have already stated your support in this and other threads but I feel this deserves it's own thread. Make a selection at...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187693

If a new multi purpose stadium for Halifax becomes a reality I'm sure a CFL team will follow.
Just moving this to a more current page.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 4:14 PM

What are people's opinions on Halifax and Moncton sharing a CFL franchise? Could it be a way to generate the largest possible fan base, as well as the largest possible base of corporate sponsors?
A team could play 7 regular season games in a new Halifax stadium, and 2 in Moncton's stadium as it was set up for Touchdown Atlantic.
It has been done before. The Green Bay Packers started playing some of their home games in Milwaukee in the '30's. They played 2 or 3 regular season games plus a preseason game at Milwaukee County Stadium from 1953 to 1994. The Packers regular season record at Milwaukee County Stadium was 76-47-3 for a .617 winning percentage over 42 seasons. By 1995, renovations to Lambeau Field made it more lucrative for the Packers to play all of their home games in Green Bay for the first time since 1932.
Games 2 and 5 of the Packers home schedule are still the "Milwaukee games".

Last edited by c-way-dude; Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM. Reason: re-phrasing

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 8:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Sharing doesn't seem to make much sense simply because the #1 stumbling block is the construction of a CFL-sized stadium. Sharing requires two stadiums.

My guess is that we will one day have a Halifax-based team (since the development of a stadium is on the table again) but that they will play some games in Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sharing doesn't seem to make much sense simply because the #1 stumbling block is the construction of a CFL-sized stadium. Sharing requires two stadiums.

My guess is that we will one day have a Halifax-based team (since the development of a stadium is on the table again) but that they will play some games in Moncton.
From what we've been hearing, Halifax will have a pretty basic stadium by CFL standards. I don't think it would necessarily mean a significant loss of revenue to play a couple of regular season games a year in Moncton with their stadium set up as it was for Touchdown Atlantic. It could get Moncton into the league without them having to make a major expansion to their facility, while giving a Halifax-based team a better shot at getting sponsorships from businesses in New Brunswick.
I sincerely believe that Halifax can support a CFL team on it's own , but that team would be in tough in the CFL, playing in the league's second smallest market in what will be a stadium that will probably not have all of the revenue-generating features that other stadiums have. Corporate support from across the maritimes will be important.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:36 PM
we built this city

Company's like Eastlink, Subway, and some Banks should all do a business deal and pay down the cost of development themselves through a joint development/business plan. Definitely set a guaranteed max cost if there are any overruns.

Retail aside, the sponsorship and broadcast could definitely be an important revenue stream going forward.

If events could be driven in and around CFL games during the warmer months I think the model would really pay off. Soo many doubters... but even if anything close to the cost of the 4 pad was built, lets say max 60 million, it would still be a huge revenue stream in comparision to merely running rinks which have high energy costs and even less retail.

If we had a stadium we could put the oval in there... that would be really cool!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 12:19 AM

Another reason to have it built on Wanders Grounds!

You could put the NS sports hall of fame there, with a history of Wanders grounds. It even has a catchy name for a stadium.

It would take the moving of the nurseries for the Public Gardens, as well as moving the Jr. Bengal Lancers to say out by exhibition park.

A smart design would incorporate the house on the corner to help strengthen that intersection. Shoot keep the heritage goons quiet by giving it a tasteful brick finish, with intricate laying and designs.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:05 AM

If a stadium could fit in the Wanderers Grounds it would certainly be my preferred location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment