HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Renaissance Plaza Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:58 AM
build awesome buildings

the master plan for the delaware riverfront also includes a focus on those main connecting streets so that the surrounding neighborhoods are more naturally tied to the river. i think focusing on this first would make the waterfront that much more appealing/likely to happen.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
No, it's because few want to live next to highways or cut off from the rest of the city by hellish I-95 and Columbus Boulevard. I bet residential adjacent to the planned park cap between Chestnut and Walnut will be successful. That cap is reputed to be about 5 years away. 2.5 years in the design/engineering phase and 2.5 years for construction. I could otherwise see some demand where the area east of I-95 is wide enough for a self-contained neighborhood. But I think it's still a niche market.

Townhouses don't seem to have a problem being east of I-95, in fact about three projects are right next to the elevated highway. Not for me, but somebody is ok with living with a expressway in their backyard. A 4 story apartment house is finishing up right at I-95 and Spring Garden, with balconies facing the highway.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Townhouses don't seem to have a problem being east of I-95, in fact about three projects are right next to the elevated highway. Not for me, but somebody is ok with living with a expressway in their backyard. A 4 story apartment house is finishing up right at I-95 and Spring Garden, with balconies facing the highway.
Right, I agree. There are people that are fine with these areas. But I would say it's still niche. No projects with higher volumes of units have gotten off the ground. We'll see. As prices rise, more people may also make concessions too if they can maybe get the home they want at a price they can afford in an area they find less than ideal.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:26 PM
Philly Pholly

It's hard to root for such an ugly proposal.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:17 PM
Philly Pholly

If these high profile developers want to build a very high profile project, they at least need to invest in a high profile architect. This site should have a signature design. That's how to attract high end tenants. That's why Waterfront Square isn't finished. Such a vast site and on the waterfront near metro deserves more than a cookie cutter design. I'd rather see a scaled down project that's elegant than these apartment blocks. If they have the money to build something this big, they have the money to invest in the quality of design. Makes for a bland skyline. What is this, Newark?

Last edited by SEFTA; May 14, 2017 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
It's hard to root for such an ugly proposal. If these high profile developers want to build a very high profile project, they at least need to invest in a high profile architect. This site should have a signature design. That's how to attract high end tenants. That's why Waterfront Square isn't finished. Such a vast site and on the waterfront near metro deserves more than a cookie cutter design. I'd rather see a scaled down project that's elegant than these apartment blocks. If they have the money to build something this big, they have the money to invest in the quality of design. Makes for a bland skyline. What is this, Newark?
Uh have you seen the buildings in NYC? And Waterfront Square buildings aren't bad looking at all tbh. They're at a whole nother scale in their area which I think is pretty cool. We should have projects like this lining the entire waterfront, but obviously there are challenges at the time being. I don't think it really has to do with architectural elegance though.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Uh have you seen the buildings in NYC? And Waterfront Square buildings aren't bad looking at all tbh. They're at a whole nother scale in their area which I think is pretty cool. We should have projects like this lining the entire waterfront, but obviously there are challenges at the time being. I don't think it really has to do with architectural elegance though.
Plus, I'm not actually sure this area can support architectural elegance right now, regardless of how many units this proposal has. This is already a fringe area that hasn't been in high demand. Better design generally makes the project more expensive and will increase the per unit price. I don't think there's so many people that will subsidize those increased costs at this location.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:46 AM
Philly Pholly

The towers aren't so much the problem as the base. They don't promote pedestrian activity. Same for Waterfront Square. I picture Philly's waterfront more like NY's Battery Park City not towers above a 6 story bunker. Public plazas not empty grassy lawns on top of the parking garage. I'm always skeptical of projects of this scope.

Last edited by SEFTA; May 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
The towers aren't so much the problem as the base. They don't promote pedestrian activity. Same for Waterfront Square. I picture Philly's waterfront more like NY's Battery Park City not towers above a 6 story bunker. Public plazas not empty grassy lawns on top of the parking garage. I'm always skeptical of projects of this scope.
Ok fair point I gotchu

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:35 PM

It's 2017. This project has literally been around (admittedly with different names) for decades. Can we stop pretending like it's a real thing?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:49 PM

Welp... no information on this project in a while. Going to close this thread for now. I will reopen it if more information surfaces.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive