HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I have heard ceremonial groundbreaking could be 2/17. I won't stake my claim on it but I have seen a rough timeline of construction that says caissons rigs as early as mid March..let's wait and see.
FWIW - Though I can't cite where - original groundbreaking was projected many months ago (on this forum or some news art.) for March.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:59 PM

Brian Atkinson (Managing Director at Hines) posting on LinkedIn: "Ground breaking is weeks away. We are thrilled to execute world class design on the most recognizable site in Chicago."

And here is a link to a promotional video for the tower: click here. It's short, dramatic, and hyperbolic, but it does get me pumped ... for a non-supertall that deserves to be a megatall.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:40 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Brian Atkinson (Managing Director at Hines) posting on LinkedIn: "Ground breaking is weeks away. We are thrilled to execute world class design on the most recognizable site in Chicago."

And here is a link to a promotional video for the tower: click here. It's short, dramatic, and hyperbolic, but it does get me pumped ... for a non-supertall that deserves to be a megatall.
Has anyone provided him that feedback directly that this site is indeed the most recognizable site in Chicago would be a better stage for a supertall?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Has anyone provided him that feedback directly that this site is indeed the most recognizable site in Chicago would be a better stage for a supertall?
Too bad they only care about money and Supertalls are expensive, I'm sure they already know that a taller building would be cooler.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:08 PM

better hurry before the global coronavirus recession

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:28 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Too bad they only care about money and Supertalls are expensive, I'm sure they already know that a taller building would be cooler.
I absolutely agree with your comment here, I just think it may be healthy for them to get a little direct public feedback once in a while.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 12:06 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Really nice teaser clip: https://www.333wolfpoint.com/

Put volume up for the teaser. Song if anyone is wondering is "sun in your eyes" by above and beyond.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 1:38 AM

its almost trying to hype a building that is not groundbreaking or even exciting in design in anyway?..i mean jeez so conservative in designs for these prime sites

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 1:47 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Really nice teaser clip: https://www.333wolfpoint.com/

Put volume up for the teaser. Song if anyone is wondering is "sun in your eyes" by above and beyond.
In the video they say "defining iconic". They are out of touch with reality. These towers are simply decent. Not great. Not iconic.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:16 PM

I like these towers, but imagine if you weren't a skyscraper fanatic like us. Or someone visiting this part of the river from out of town. Besides the curves of River point and maybe the base of 150, I wouldn't expect any of these blue boxes to be recognizable from each other. Hell there's people in my office with full view of the top portions of them that cant tell the difference between 110 150 and wolf point. WPS is going to be a great building, but I wouldn't call it iconic. I mean it's literally a slightly taller version of WPE lol.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...wpost&t=230331

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
They are out of touch with reality. These towers are simply decent. Not great. Not iconic.
Completely agree. I am excited to see the long western legs on this tower though. Any idea why they didn't show the entire tower in the video?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Any idea why they didn't show the entire tower in the video?
Because after hyping it up as the eponymous definition of "iconic," the reveal of just a slightly taller Wolf Point East, as rgarri4 noted, would be a letdown. With that kind of buildup, you're expecting the next 53w53, Marina Bay Sands, or a 500m behemoth.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:20 PM
THAT Guy

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that video is not targeted towards this forum. Everyone uses the word iconic to describe their buildings in promotional materials. 150 North Riverside, BMO Tower, even 151 North Franklin have all used the word.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:00 PM
Development Shill

Burst out laughing at 26 seconds when they had Lake Michigan covered in some stupid looking future city with random things scattered about. Terrible promo video

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
In the Vista Tower thread chris08876 recently posted this breathtaking photo of the Chicago skyline, and I am trying to visualize how 400 LSD would look from this angle. Considering that it's barely taller than One Bennett Park (837 ft), and is located right next to it, and also has similarly light colors, I think 400 LSD and OBP would appear to fuse into one big blob and thus won't be very noticeable. 1,100 ft with a darker color would have worked significantly better IMO.
Is that a challege for rgarri

No, but seriously. The real crime is how little impact the soon to start Salesforce tower will make it that photo. Would it even be visible? That a part of the skyline that desperately needed a shard climbing into the sky.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that video is not targeted towards this forum. Everyone uses the word iconic to describe their buildings in promotional materials. 150 North Riverside, BMO Tower, even 151 North Franklin have all used the word.
You bring up a good point. Words have meaning, and not EVERYTHING can be an icon. The fact that every single tower these days bills itself as an icon makes the word lose its meaning.

I know that the members of this forum ask a lot of developers and architects, sometimes unrealistically so. But that doesn't mean we can't also be aware of clichéd marketing practices.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:11 AM

^I had the same thought. It would be just to the right of the Chase Tower in that pic. Still holding out hope they’ll put a super tall there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:21 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtowntransplant View Post
^Still holding out hope they’ll put a super tall there.
You should prepare yourself for the current planned height to stay.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Is that a challege for rgarri

No, but seriously. The real crime is how little impact the soon to start Salesforce tower will make it that photo. Would it even be visible? That a part of the skyline that desperately needed a shard climbing into the sky.
I see that this post was moved here from the 400 LSD thread. The photo in question can be found here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1616

Anyway, with so many skyscrapers in the 700 - 900 ft range rising now and in the near future, Chicago's skyline will simply have a new plateau that's a couple hundred feet higher than the current plateau of around 600 ft. Few of these 700 - 900 footers such as Salesforce, 400 LSD, BMO etc. will stand out, and the ones between 600 and 700 ft will be completely buried. So I agree that Salesforce will have little impact, no matter how "iconic" it gets.

I hope Chicago will either build more supertalls that rise well above the plateau, or build more 700 - 900 footers further south (in addition to 1000M). It would be a shame if the city's skyline gets flatter and flatter.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post

Anyway, with so many skyscrapers in the 700 - 900 ft range rising now and in the near future, Chicago's skyline will simply have a new plateau that's a couple hundred feet higher than the current plateau of around 600 ft. Few of these 700 - 900 footers such as Salesforce, 400 LSD, BMO etc. will stand out, and the ones between 600 and 700 ft will be completely buried. So I agree that Salesforce will have little impact, no matter how "iconic" it gets.

I hope Chicago will either build more supertalls that rise well above the plateau, or build more 700 - 900 footers further south (in addition to 1000M). It would be a shame if the city's skyline gets flatter and flatter.
I think the 5 current tallest will prevent that from happening. It's good to see the skyline get filled in and lots be built on, but Chicago needs another signature tower or two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals