HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
Here is Wichitas plan.
https://www.penumbrariverwalk.com/
That's quite the undertaking! Hope it comes to fruition.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 4:22 AM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzi View Post
I cannot speak to Wichita's ability to build taller, but in Phoenix's case, the flight patterns go almost right over downtown, and the tarmac is about 2 to 3 miles away.
You answered my question I was just going to ask Fonzi. Salt Lake City International is very close to Downtown, but the flight paths typically go over the Great Salt Lake for noisier takeoffs and the Western Metro suburbs for landings. Salt Lake City's upcoming new tallest will still be a little under 500', but at least it's finally a new tallest. Salt Lake City and CSA are also undergoing an historic development boom. We're all hoping that it will lead to a continued buildup of taller highrises downtown. As far as subjective opinions on the new Astra, I love it. It will be a wonderful addition to downtown Phoenix, and I especially like the eclectic but attractive mix of design patterns.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
You answered my question I was just going to ask Fonzi. Salt Lake City International is very close to Downtown, but the flight paths typically go over the Great Salt Lake for noisier takeoffs and the Western Metro suburbs for landings. Salt Lake City's upcoming new tallest will still be a little under 500', but at least it's finally a new tallest. Salt Lake City and CSA are also undergoing an historic development boom. We're all hoping that it will lead to a continued buildup of taller highrises downtown. As far as subjective opinions on the new Astra, I love it. It will be a wonderful addition to downtown Phoenix, and I especially like the eclectic but attractive mix of design patterns.
I've been following SLC for the past couple months and it is quite impressive. Downtown is getting a nice collection of 300+ ft towers in a relatively dense footprint. The new hotel and the near 500 footer you mention will be nice additions, and I think with 2.6 million in the CSA and counting, downtown still can grow much taller.

That said, with Phx approaching it's height limits with Astra, and at least one other near 500 ft project is proposed on the east end of downtown, hopefully leads to adding more height and density. Phx and SLC are becoming a lot like San Diego, with dense CBD's with a good collection of 300-500 ft towers.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 10:23 PM

Astra Approved

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-approved.html

A tower that could soon be Arizona's tallest building received final approval Wednesday from Phoenix City Council.

Council approved an amendment that will allow Aspirant Development, a division of Scottsdale-based Empire Group, to build a mixed-use project, called Astra Phoenix, that will include a tower reaching 535 feet at its highest point — surpassing the state's tallest building, the 483-foot Chase Tower on Central Avenue. A second planned tower would reach 380 feet. Apartments and a hotel are proposed for the towers.

Astra Phoenix is planned on 2.8 acres in downtown near Second Avenue and Van Buren Street. The site is currently a surface parking lot and is adjacent to the Downtown YMCA.

On Wednesday, Council also approved realigning the Taylor Street pedestrian paseo through the project between the two towers.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the architect of the mixed-use project.

In a panel discussion hosted by the Phoenix Business Journal in September, Nick Wood, a partner at Snell & Wilmer, the zoning attorney for the project, said activity in downtown Phoenix has put the city on the map for capital markets looking for places to invest.

“Phoenix has become a mainstream name when it comes to high-rise development,” he said at the time. “With all of the investment that has been made by the city and state in downtown, it has drawn high demand.”

Phoenix has seen an influx of high-rise construction in recent months, with several apartment and hotel projects under construction. There were 16 tower cranes over Phoenix’s Central Business District in the third quarter of 2020, an increase from nine in the first quarter, according to the latest Rider Levett Bucknall crane count, which tallies tower cranes in major cities in the United States and Canada.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 12:57 AM

This project needs to go through a few more permits and then construction will hopefully begin next year. Can't believe it took almost 50 years for Phoenix and the state of Arizona to get a new tallest building!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 12:24 AM

Both towers appear to have been redesigned. Really liking the look of this thing and it's just what Phoenix needs!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 9:06 AM

That looks great!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:47 AM

Another update on Astra Phoenix from user IndyAZ. Looks like they are going with the original design after all. The final height for the main tower is going to end up being 535 to 540 feet.

[IMG]Astra 4 by Andrew Valestin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Astra 3 by Andrew Valestin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Astra 1 by Andrew Valestin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Astra 2 by Andrew Valestin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:19 PM

Will both towers be built at the same time ?

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 12:54 AM

The taller one will be built first and the other one will be phase 2. The developer had planned to build both simultaneously but the city didn't want the streets to be closed for so long. Both of them will definitely be going up and now we are just waiting for construction to start which is scheduled within 2 or 3 months.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
The taller one will be built first and the other one will be phase 2. The developer had planned to build both simultaneously but the city didn't want the streets to be closed for so long. Both of them will definitely be going up and now we are just waiting for construction to start which is scheduled within 2 or 3 months.
Onward and Upward!

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post

The eastbound drive on I-10, from the stack, will be a lot more impressive once this is built, as well as southbound on Central, from Uptown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 9:32 PM

According to the developer, groundbreaking for Astra will begin in early 2022. Can't wait to see this project fully completed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:00 AM

If Phoenix needs 500' of office space, why not just restore the existing Chase Tower that's about to be vacant?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
If Phoenix needs 500' of office space, why not just restore the existing Chase Tower that's about to be vacant?
This is mixed use, and if they did that we wouldn't have a new 500 footer now would we?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
One developer who is headquartered here in the Phoenix area released these conceptual renderings showing a possible Chase Tower renovation. Looks like they want to add some height to it, pushing this over 500 ft and add retail space at the base. Another tower would be added across the street. No one knows if this is serious but it shows the potential for our soon to be second tallest building.
https://thedavisexperience.com/proje...wer-renovation

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by michael85225; Sep 17, 2021 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 4:19 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow, this took a turn for the better, design-wise. Much more refined than the previous designs, and that's not just because they have a ridiculous fashion show rendering of the lobby.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 8:50 PM
Chairman

Curious: What does the Chase Bank renovation have to do with the Astra development?

-sb

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:19 AM

That Chase Tower potential reno looks fabulous. I stayed in an art deco hotel just across the street, so passed by this tower a good 10 times during the 4 days I was in Phoenix on vacation.

Chase Tower isn't an ugly building by any means, but they definitely need to fix the base. The "campus" takes up an entire city block even though the building is much smaller than that. So it seems a little uninviting with all the empty concrete space at street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals