HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 5:20 PM

Hi, I'm doing a study on how warsaw residential architecture has changed since the WW2. Anyone got any idea where I could find legislation for the governments with regard to this? Any areas which are good to look at as well? I know Zoliborz has a lot of nice stuff.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 8:21 PM
Honored Member

Is it true about the 350m proposal in Warsaw ?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupps View Post
Hi, I'm doing a study on how warsaw residential architecture has changed since the WW2. Anyone got any idea where I could find legislation for the governments with regard to this? Any areas which are good to look at as well? I know Zoliborz has a lot of nice stuff.
You'll have a hard time without Polish... the crucial change in Warsaw since the war has been an ambitious attempt to move away from the dark and cramped tenement houses that filled prewar Warsaw. The streets were broadened, and elements of Le Corbusier's "towers in a park" idea were adopted. All apartments need to be no closer than 12 meters from another building, and must get a certain amount of sunlight each day. Most apartment towers are long and thin, with several stairwells, allowing apartments to have north-south or east-west exposures. No apartments have only a north exposure, since that means they would have no sunlight. Before the war no one bothered much with this kind of stuff. However, "Commieblocks" built after the war, especially after the 1960s, were often shoddy and grim, and the urban infrastructure around them was often neglected, since that didn't count in fulfilling the all-important, politically decided housing supply goals.

Many of the rules concerning light and air have been kept since 1990, but there has been a return to a more traditional streetwall architecture, and prefab construction is no longer used. Browse around "Forum Polskich Wiezowcow" on ssc, particularly see the "Miasteczko Wilanow" thread in "Warszawa" for new architecture; you can also find a lot of informative Warsaw pics under "Wiezowce & Skylines."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
Co tam hamy? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Is it true about the 350m proposal in Warsaw ?

Well, yes and no. It is an early stage, but the city council does not seem to oppose and the investors seem credible. Currently they're bulding the Libeskind's tower on a plot adjacent to the proposed one. The president of Warsaw even went as far as to say that we should build something higher than the Palace of Culture.

See this for more details (well, its in Polish, but some sort of a general overview can be found there):

http://www.bryla.pl/bryla/1,85301,5032281.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 1:17 PM

It's 100m higher than Lilium Tower but not much innovating

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:07 AM

Come on, I just can’t believe they would say yes to this idea! The works would paralyze half of the city, just next to this Mariott tower there is one of the busiest crossroads in Warsaw. And there would be a need to close it first and, secondly, completely rebuild it just to free some place for the tower. If the government wants to have this Euro 2012 in our capital, they won’t be as stupid to let this being boiled now and not in the next 5 years!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
YIMBY co-founder

^What exactly are you refering to? and why did you post in two threads?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:09 PM

God, sorry I've mistaken places. Forget my post, please. But still, I'dont'belive they will manage to finish it before Euro 2012

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:07 AM

The National Stadium

Legia Warsaw stadium

Metro - second line - construction should start soon - central part of the second line shall be ready in 2013/2014

First line + planned second line (on the right Warsaw metro plans before the second world war) :

Revitalization of Vistula bulevars

Zebra Tower

Plac Unii - construction of the tower should start at the begining of 2010

Trio apartments

Zelazna center

Dom development

Platinium Towers

Museum of Contemporary Art - final project

Museum of Polish Jews

Copernicus Center - modern museum of science

Chopin museum and Chopin Center

The National Temple of Divine Providence

Warszawa Zachodnia (Warsaw West) train station - should be ready in 2012

Warszawa Wschodnia (Warsaw East) train station - should be ready in 2012

Warsaw Stadium train station (near the Euro 2012 Stadium ) - should be ready in 2012

Warsaw Okecie airport underground train terminal - should be ready in 2012

Warsaw Powisle train station - recently revitalized

Warsaw Ochota train station - recently revitalized

Crown Square

Eko Park

Menolly

Renovation of the older towers

Atelier residence

Wolf Marszalkowska

Various investments - Sluzewiec office district

Horizon Plaza

Platinium Business Park

Park Postepu

Trinity Park III

Adgar Plaza

Marynarska Point

New City

Triton Park

Panska apartments

Vector

Catalina Office building

Prosta Tower

Europark Sobieski

Wolf Bracka

Miasteczko Wilanow

New project for Norblin Factory

New hotel near the airport

New trains for Warsaw

New trams for Warsaw

Renovation of W-Z artery

Some examples of roads investments

Home Army Road

Northern Bridge - under construction

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:22 PM

All these projects look amazing....I wass born in Poland and go back there every so often....Live in Ottawa Canada......which makes me want to cry looking at how this city is.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 12:41 PM

Time for a Warsaw update,is the economy getting any better in Poland?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Time for a Warsaw update,is the economy getting any better in Poland?
Poland was one of the few EU nations which were not affected much by the economic crisis.

Anyway, an update would be nice, I agree. I also agree that living in Ottawa is frustrating due to the lack of interesting architectural developments. Luckily for me, I am off to Poland (Wroclaw & Warsaw) in less than 2 weeks, can't wait to see whats happening there in person, as it has been about 4 years since I last went to Poland!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:13 AM
Pride of the South Side

This makes me want to move to Warsaw even more!

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 3:01 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Wow, what beautiful projects! Warsaw is definitely booming!

But something else interests me. Poland, like Germany, has its population relatively well spread out across the major metros (Gdansk, Lodz, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Katowice) rather than concentrated into one metro (i.e. Paris in France rising a head above Lyon, Marseilles, Toulouse, etc.). How is Poland dealing with modernizing in the post-communist era a nation that is so widely populated?

P.S. Poland, in particular, is (I think) the fastest-growing state in the EU. The Polish literary scene is the best in the world right now, and this nation rises heads above the rest of the Slavic bloc in terms of the weight it can throw around, something which I expect will only increase in the future. Go Poland!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 7:16 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Those new commuter trains remind me of stockohlm's latest trains. Same product family? The new trams looks friggin' sweet too. Hopefully we'll see something similar in Sthlm soon
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Wow, what beautiful projects! Warsaw is definitely booming!

But something else interests me. Poland, like Germany, has its population relatively well spread out across the major metros (Gdansk, Lodz, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Katowice) rather than concentrated into one metro (i.e. Paris in France rising a head above Lyon, Marseilles, Toulouse, etc.). How is Poland dealing with modernizing in the post-communist era a nation that is so widely populated?
Why should spreading of population be a bad thing? I thought that it's rather too much concentration of people which causes problems and uneven development of country, with overcrowded megacities drawing away best people from underdeveloped provinces. Situation like in Poland or Germany, where every regin has strog regional capital is better for even development.

Quote:
The Polish literary scene is the best in the world right now, and this nation rises heads above the rest of the Slavic bloc in terms of the weight it can throw around, something which I expect will only increase in the future. Go Poland!
Interesting, I din't know polish culture is valued so high abroad. Is this only Your personal opinion or is it shared by other people you know?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
HighTowerPA

National Stadium (Stadion Narodowy), Warsaw, Poland
Design Build Network

http://www.designbuild-network.com/p...warsaw-poland/

The National Stadium is the largest stadium in Poland and won the World Stadium Award 2012 from the World Stadium Congress. It was designed by a group of architects including Von Gerkan Marg and Partners, JSK Architects and Schlaich Bergermann and Partners.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 10:24 AM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 9:05 PM

It's incredible this tread hasn't been updated in ages. I haven't been back to Warszawa in years but the changes are incredible.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 12:04 AM

I was in Poland for only about a week back in May and I was thoroughly impressed. It's definitely on my list of places to revisit. I spent three days in Warsaw and the amount of construction and rehab projects I stumbled upon was tremendous. I did unintentionally shoot some photos of a few of the major projects going on, but they're probably well past being outdated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe