HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
As far as I know however given how these procurements go I would expect a delay of some sort once they start getting them and testing. I think there were fewer problems with the Kawasaki cars (where the next order is coming from) than the problematic Bombardier R179s so hopefully it's mostly on schedule.
Sweet!

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

L train work on track at the start:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train...ion-1.31362759

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 12:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video Link

Quote:
New York will become the first U.S. city to impose congestion pricing, seen as a key weapon against global warming, following lawmakers' approval of a state budget to fund the plan.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:27 PM

Uber Copter Will Only Make New York Transit Worse

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...copter/591235/

Quote:

- The JFK-Manhattan connection is one of New York’s great transit flaws, a major city is unable to offer a one-seat ride from its airport to its central business district. That’s why many New Yorkers and tourists rely on cars rather than trains to get to JFK, making traffic worse and triggering a vicious cycle of mobility frustration. — Starting July 9, Uber users can take to the skies to get to the airport, with the ride-hailing giant introducing a weekday helicopter service between Lower Manhattan and JFK. With a paid Uber to the helipad, the trip, the company says, could take as little as 30 minutes (the helicopter part is just eight minutes of that).

- Except, naturally, Uber Copter isn’t for most people, and in fact, caters to a very specific group of people. The average price will range from $200 to $225, and is only available to Platinum or Diamond Uber Rewards users. In other words: You have to spend between $1,250 and $3,750 on UberX rides in a six-month period to be able to take a $200 helicopter near Wall Street to what is presumably your private jet or first-class commercial seat. — The vehicles that will take to the skies of New York are not the sleek electric sky-taxis seen in the company’s CGI promotional film. Those do not exist. Instead, they’re conventional twin-engined gas-fueled choppers, the type that emit more CO2 emissions than cars.

- Yet the true tragedy of Uber Copter is that it overshadows concrete alternatives that transit planners have put forward for years to make the Midtown-to-JFK connection faster and cheaper for a much greater strata of riders. Take the Rockaway Beach Line, for example. Per a 2017 proposal by the Regional Plan Association (one of the five ideas it released at the time), this defunct commuter rail route could be reactivated, allowing the LIRR to go directly from Penn Station (and, soon, Grand Central) to JFK, bypassing the AirTrain. — It’s a big lift: The price tag for this project varies in the upper millions, and would require building two train terminals in the central airport area. But it would dramatically improve JFK access for an estimated 10,000 passengers per day

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 2:14 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Great way to die.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Uber Copter Will Only Make New York Transit Worse

The vehicles that will take to the skies of New York are not the sleek electric sky-taxis seen in the company’s CGI promotional film. Those do not exist. Instead, they’re conventional twin-engined gas-fueled choppers, the type that emit more CO2 emissions than cars.
This is so disgusting.

Honestly society is sick, people will never realize the horrible consequences of all the destruction that is being caused to the environment?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

july 1st start for 14st busway.

no cars from 6am-10pm

3rd av to 9av

also bus sbs service starts

many stops eliminated to speed things up.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/14th-street-bus-1.32231282

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:50 PM

I take it that copter thing is off then.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
This is so disgusting.

Honestly society is sick, people will never realize the horrible consequences of all the destruction that is being caused to the environment?
I was thinking about writing a long meandering opinion, but I'm afraid the short answer is no. Or more specifically the short answer is no if it's making someone gobs of money or if many people are dependent on the status quo making them moderate amounts of money. Rocking the boat can be scary if people haven't planned for what they might hop into when it tips over.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

lga airtrain complaints from the compTROLLer

MTA isn't ready for LaGuardia AirTrain ridership, comptroller says

By Vincent Barone

Updated June 19, 2019 7:01 PM

The MTA isn’t ready to handle additional riders expected to take the LaGuardia AirTrain coming in 2022, according to City Comptroller Scott Stringer.

Citing infrequent Long Island Rail Road service to the new airport link and shrinking funds for critical station upgrades, Stringer penned a letter to the Port Authority and MTA dated Monday June, 17, asking for more rail service to handle larger crowds.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/laguard...ain-1.32624886

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:08 PM

This seems more like an admission that the ESA probably won't deliver until at least 2023 since its availability would be crucial to establishing shuttle service to GCT and Penn.

Hoo boy if the 7 train gets to deal with a large portion of the LGA flyers by itself for a year. Think thousands of people dragging luggage on it at rush.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:44 AM
Show me the blueprints

Open toilet, flush money.

I hate this Airtrain nonsense. An alpha city like NY needs a one seat ride to all it's airports.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:23 PM

Expanding the N/W would make the most sense but even a spur along the Grand Central Pkwy from Astoria Blvd to LGA would make more sense than an AirTrain from Woodside.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

agreed but there is one positive. with the current cuomo route someday the airtrain could be brought on down the grand central to connect with the jfk airtrain in jamaica. an lga to jfk airtrain would be stellar as would an outer ring of transit.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

In a perfect world, or even one that resembled the ability to build transit outside NYC, I would demolish the Astoria line el and bore a new subway tunnel from QP to LGA and terminating in College Park. The tunnel would have 2+2 stacked tracks, top tracks for local Astoria line service and bottom tracks for LGA express, and maybe one station where both stop, like Astoria Blvd. But all this would a) resemble the 21st century way too much and b) cost to much, therefore not even be proposed even though its the ideal solution.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:03 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i know, any direct rail would be best, but i think they want the separate airtrain system for safety reasons.

you will be able to use omny and other cards to tap in to path trains by the end of 2022:

https://www.amny.com/amp/transit/omn...ain-1.32719416

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Expanding the N/W would make the most sense but even a spur along the Grand Central Pkwy from Astoria Blvd to LGA would make more sense than an AirTrain from Woodside.
This was proposed once and Queens residents complained it would ruin the scenic nature of...GCP. I swear to god.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:21 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it's off! i was so looking forward to this -- what a disaster -- ugh

A judge has forced the city to scrap the 14th Street busway that was set to launch July 1

By Caroline Spivack Jun 28, 2019, 1:00pm EDT

more:
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/6/28/1910...busway-lawsuit

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it's off! i was so looking forward to this -- what a disaster -- ugh

A judge has forced the city to scrap the 14th Street busway that was set to launch July 1

By Caroline Spivack Jun 28, 2019, 1:00pm EDT

more:
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/6/28/1910...busway-lawsuit
I don't think Schwartz will prevail but it's super annoying. The busway and restrictions won't have the impacts he claims and the city can prove it. It's like all the people saying there will traffic armageddon right outside the proposed congestion pricing cordon...something that hasn't happened anywhere it's been implemented.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yep lots of people hopping mad about it -- but why do i think the city is ok with it because they do not want to have to deal with the headaches

14th Street busway supporters slam block associations' lawsuit as classist

https://www.amny.com/transit/14th-st...uit-1.33243425

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation