HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:53 AM

Yes, they are building a secant wall and excavating downwards at No. 9. That means a lot more steps of construction underground before you can move above ground. The concrete perimeter is the cap of the secant wall.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
probably a little higher than 7 inches
My bad. Mistakes like that can lead to miniature stonehenges!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 11:25 AM

Looks like 800 N Wells is moving along. This is the 23 story, 58 unit building with ground floor retail. A demolition building permit was issued for the existing building on 12/1 there. The owner on the permit is listed as Smithfield, who is the developer of this new project.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:54 PM
BANNED

^ Here's the visual, though I can't recall seeing a rendering..

On that note, and continuing the Boom discussion above, throughout the last 5 or so years in following this thread, I've been able to identify just about every development around the city, no matter the size of the project. Driving through the city, my pops would ask me; "what's that one.. and this one, etc.," and I'd have an answer. There is now so much going up in River North, Sloop and the outlying 'hoods that I have completely lost track of what's what. That's a good thing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
My bad. Mistakes like that can lead to miniature stonehenges!
Reminds me of the World's Smallest Skyscraper developed by a con man who got $200,000 from investors in 1919 to build a 480" tall skyscraper.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Here's the visual, though I can't recall seeing a rendering..
I seem to remember Spyguy having renderings of this thing...

Quote:
On that note, and continuing the Boom discussion above, throughout the last 5 or so years in following this thread, I've been able to identify just about every development around the city, no matter the size of the project. Driving through the city, my pops would ask me; "what's that one.. and this one, etc.," and I'd have an answer. There is now so much going up in River North, Sloop and the outlying 'hoods that I have completely lost track of what's what. That's a good thing.
Hah - same. I have a friend who makes fun of me for it (though some of his friends who are multi millionaires and in the business in the suburbs started asking me about stuff happening in Chicago as if they wanted to do something in the city now). Now though, there's a few where I just think "wait a minute..what's that one again"

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Former Gino's on the left, former Ed's on the right, possible Blanc site just behind and cranes from the two river office towers in the far background.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Former Gino's on the left, former Ed's on the right, possible Blanc site just behind and cranes from the two river office towers in the far background.

That is a beautiful site. So much construction going on , and I love it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:06 PM

Shapack is planning a mid-rise hotel in the Fulton Market area (Green/Lake) – 11 stories. No word on operator yet.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...l-a-block-away

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:20 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Looking forward to the new construction... but admittedly part of me is sad. That quirky Gino's east location with all the writings all over the place, and the tacky, silly but lovable ed debevic's... gonna miss them.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:24 PM

Cedar Hotel Facade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I just can't believe it's more efficient to do it this way. These people must be really good at puzzles.
As part of the reconstruction, the facade is being built with the first floor 1'-4" taller, and set at a slightly higher elevation. The original design had an unusually short first floor (storefronts were only 8'-0" tall and the hotel entrance doors were only 6'-6") which had been made worse by raising grades in the plaza and State street over the years. If anyone ever frequented the patio bar, you may have noticed that the main building entrance was actually a step below the plaza.

Last edited by Ned.B; Dec 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Looks like 800 N Wells is moving along. This is the 23 story, 58 unit building with ground floor retail. A demolition building permit was issued for the existing building on 12/1 there. The owner on the permit is listed as Smithfield, who is the developer of this new project.

This is condo, right?

If so, has Smithfield begun selling units??

If not (although I find this quite unlikely), I'd imagine these will be some of the largest, most expensive (at least chunk price-wise) tower rental units around town....

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:48 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Am curious, is there a target vacancy rate you have in mind that will help to pressure new construction forward? IIRC, the CBD rate was recently reported to be around 12.8%.
Not really a magic number.........definitely support Jibba and RLW's points: it's more about a certain class/type of space, and more particularly new(ish) space within this category, and even more particularly still, larger blocks of such/larger tenants in the market for such (as this is what typically launches a new project).

There are definitely a bunch of medium-to-large size tenants currently in the market that would value brand new A+ space, and the fact that there is essentially no or next-to no contiguous large block space left in the two towers currently under construction is a very good sign for at least a couple additional launches over the next year....

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:53 PM
you know where I'll be

Solarwind's Tour

Thanks for the whirlwind tour....excellent work, as ever!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
That quirky Gino's east location with all the writings all over the place, and the tacky, silly but lovable ed debevic's... gonna miss them.
gino's has already moved into a much more attractive and appropriate building over on Lasalle and ed's claims they will reopen in a new space closer to michigan ave. the businesses will still continue as businesses, which is just fine.

but i will never miss tacky, single story, single-use structures in river north, especially those with attached surface parking lots (ed's). there should be absolutely no tears shed over these. the replacements are far, FAR, FAR superior in every conceivable way.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:58 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Shapack is planning a mid-rise hotel in the Fulton Market area (Green/Lake) – 11 stories. No word on operator yet.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...l-a-block-away
Looks like 12 floors - architect is Morris Adjmi

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Woot, more development along the Green Line! Wouldn't this belong in the highrise thread then?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting. I've seen their work before – did FLATS hire them for one of their new construction Uptown projects?

I really like the work Shapack is doing – he seems to be filling a void in stylish mid-rise projects that Chicago doesn't get enough of. Even his blue glass highrise is a bit more stylish than most of the others going up.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
quick and cheap is not a demerit by itself. the fact that it is still standing and structurally sound 150 years later is a testament to that. if we can still say that about the cheap schlock going up today in the same amount of time than i guess we can have that debate.

i find it elegant, brooding, and a reminder of the old Chicago which is all too rapidly being thrown under the bus. it contributes to the fine grained street level experience. does a building need to be a landmark to consider it worthy of appreciating? we have a city filled with thousands of 2 flats, bungalows, and other similar type "workers cottages". they werent built for nobility, they were built for the everyday working man. are they not worthy of our respect? are those not the types of buildings and architecture Chicago for so long prided itself on?

yes, something happens to a building when it is allowed to age. it gains character. and theres no way to fake it, it takes time. and the way buildings from this era weather is distinctly different than the way glass and steel modern construction does. one gets better. the other does not.

frankly there is no need for ANY vintage building to be demolished in this city given what we have to work with, and how rare and distinctive what we have is from the rest of the United States, and the world for that matter. if we keep it up however we will not have much left to distinctly call our own.
I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying here. Of course, I would rather see it stay than go, but unfortunately, the land that's available for purchase and subsequent development is what it is, and occasionally it will have an old building on it. If I get bummed about every old building that falls to the wrecking ball, it would be at odds with my desire for progress, and it would be tough for me to deal with (sometimes rationalizing a demo helps with accepting it). It's also a case-by-case analysis for me, and in this particular case, I'm OK losing this one seeing as the improvement to the property is substantial and the value of what's being lost isn't equal or greater than the value of the improvement (in my opinion, of course). But as far as retaining pieces of history, I'm definitely with you; I just have a higher threshold for preservation, I guess.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:25 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting. I've seen their work before – did FLATS hire them for one of their new construction Uptown projects?

I really like the work Shapack is doing – he seems to be filling a void in stylish mid-rise projects that Chicago doesn't get enough of. Even his blue glass highrise is a bit more stylish than most of the others going up.
Re: FLATS. I don't think so. I think they included some photos of Adjmi's work in their presentations to show the type of style they were trying to copy haha. But Related is working with MA on the Van Buren tower...

And I agree, Shapack is doing very high quality boutique developments, and 171 Halsted/The Parker looks awesome from SolarWind's photos.

---
RUSH expansion (west side of Malcolm X College parcel. east side is Blackhawks training facility)
Phase 1: 350k sf office/edu building
Phase 2-4: two 350k sf office edu buildings, one student housing building. Each phase is set to start 3-5 years after completion of the prior phase.

Conceptual design for Phase 1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations