HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 11:14 PM
zzzzzzzz

PORTLAND, Oregon | Deep Rest

What’s up SSP? Remember me? No? Well, I used to post photos pretty regularly, and then I just kind of quit. My last photo thread was almost 10 years ago.

Things in Portland have been… interesting recently. Maybe similar to what you’ve seen in whatever city you’re reading this from. A lot of downtown is still in pretty rough shape (businesses boarded up, graffiti, homeless camps, etc.) after a year of Covid and protests. I’ve heard foot traffic may be starting to pick up again, but I can’t really say for sure. My company’s office is downtown, but I’ve been working from home for over a year, so I don’t really know what it’s like on a typical weekday. Most neighborhoods in the city haven’t been impacted to the same degree that downtown has, but there is a noticeable increase in graffiti and homelessness in many areas. I have always found “gritty” scenes interesting to photograph, but this is something else.

Anyway, you probably didn’t come to the My City Photos page to read a novel, so I’ll shut up and get to the photos. Most of these were taken early on Sunday mornings – that just happens to be when I usually go out photo’ing – so the emptiness / lack of life is exaggerated.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:21 AM

Very interesting photos, little bit of everything, from grit to natural beauty. Early morning might be the best time to photograph, and it's the time I never get to photograph. Even without people, Portland still looks like a vibrant place.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:14 AM

Oh my dear Portland OR looks grey and BLUE...sad.

It is always the center of something if you know what I am referring to.

That outbound tram with full skyline as backdrop just a perfect set for all cities.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:59 AM

Haven't been to Portland in 10 years. Good to see some scenes from there. Welcome back to SSP!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:35 AM
Paradise Island

Great photos! I've missed your work, hopefully its return isn't a one off.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:47 AM

I have seen your photos on flickr! Great shots.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:26 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
You know, there's a sci-fi novel called Before the Cradle Falls, about time travel. It's set in Portland and the story is interspersed with news articles from the future about how a serial killer who targets children struck repeatedly in Portland and ended up more or less destroying the city's soul. Those articles report a future of distrust, civic unrest, and urban decay in a city previously known for good urban living, exemplary urban design, and civic engagement. Meanwhile, in the present, the characters are all dealing with bizarre weather and reports of a strange vigilante harassing children and their families, telling them they're in danger.

Your photos look like they should be accompanying those articles from the future.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:02 PM

Wow, some of those buildings are beyond quirky. Some really bizarre architecture going on there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:36 PM
Community Guy

Great set with that last photo truly spectacular.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:03 PM

I've always associated Portland with grit and the Gus Van Sant/My Own Private Idaho era. I'm sure the city will make a comeback after things calm down. It is odd to me though that Portland seems to be the only major city where this continuing unrest remains so high.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:20 PM

Outstanding.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:28 PM

We sure have had quite the time here in central Portland the past year.

Hope springs eternal, though. Excellent, excellent set.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:03 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Portland always looks great. Brilliant photos!
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:40 PM
obit anus, abit onus

Amazing photos, Sekkle. Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:00 AM

Those photos break my heart! Had long visits to Portland in 1995, 97, 99, and 01... and it was so beautiful then. What's happened to it? Does anyone there care anymore?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:52 PM
zzzzzzzz

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Great photos! I've missed your work, hopefully its return isn't a one off.
Thank you. We'll see. I'm sure I'll post something else at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
You know, there's a sci-fi novel called Before the Cradle Falls, about time travel. It's set in Portland and the story is interspersed with news articles from the future about how a serial killer who targets children struck repeatedly in Portland and ended up more or less destroying the city's soul. Those articles report a future of distrust, civic unrest, and urban decay in a city previously known for good urban living, exemplary urban design, and civic engagement. Meanwhile, in the present, the characters are all dealing with bizarre weather and reports of a strange vigilante harassing children and their families, telling them they're in danger.

Your photos look like they should be accompanying those articles from the future.
Wow, I'm going to have to check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Those photos break my heart! Had long visits to Portland in 1995, 97, 99, and 01... and it was so beautiful then. What's happened to it? Does anyone there care anymore?
Nah, nobody cares. The last year has been difficult, but in many cases I was trying to photograph darker/more depressing scenes intentionally. Not to make the city look bad or to say "everything sucks here", but just because that's what I wanted to photograph. I threw in a couple skyline and Mt. Hood pics to try to balance things out, though. Didn't work I guess!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 8:12 PM

Welcome back Sekkle, it's so great to see your work here again. You capture details of Portland like no one else, it's amazing. My favorite in this set is the grafitti (Oh the GRAFFITI one, of course! haha) ..with the pink blossom trees on either side. Gorgeous.

Quote:
I'll attempt to answer this because in a nutshell, the whole city is sad/mad over the state of things right now.

I volunteer almost every weekend doing litter pickups, and every one of these events is full, which never used to be the case prior to 2020. Calls to the city over trash dumping are up 300% in the last year. It used to take 3-4 days for a response. Now it takes 45 days. CDC said not to clear homeless camps for fear of spreading Covid, and boy did Portland follow suit, and the resulting trash that built up was pretty much left in place as well. ODOT (the state highway dept) has been busy cleaning up from a winter ice storm, still, and Covid budget cuts have led to freeway graffiti everywhere not being addressed. Foot traffic downtown, like I assume in most major cities, is down 80% -- office workers and tourists and conventions and games and restaurants and theaters and bars and festivals etc...poof, gone! OH yeah don't forget the protests -- absolutely great, until a group of about 100 anarchist types decide this is the perfect opportunity to spend month after month after month vandalizing, in many cases, the very minority small business owners/non profits they claim to be up in arms for.

That being said -- as a lifelong resident who feels sick to my stomach over Portland 2021, I have great optimism for the future. We just passed $250 million/year funding to address homelessness on every level, from housing to mental health. They're even paying homeless $20/hr to clean up the city. Portland banned single family zoning which means you can actually build a fourplex here and there in the suburbs etc, increasing housing options. And at last the city is tackling the garbage and graffiti issue with added funding this year, after basically taking a year off. A recent Saturday downtown, my expectations low, i was happy to see tons of people out and full restaurants with lines out the door. So Portland has bottomed out and it sucks right now, but IMHO the urgency of this past year has lit a fire under our collective ass.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 12:12 AM

Great set!! good to have you back again.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I haven't been to PDX in over 15 years, but I remember well a beautiful city that had EVERYTHING people in other cities envy. But so much has happened in the news that's so unfavorable to the city in recent years. As you've said, you likewise lament what's happened. Here's to hoping you guys can take back your city... because if you don't, it will become yet another has-been outpost left behind by prosperity. I hope that doesn't happen, but the visuals here tell me it's more likely than not. I have the sense that you'll have to elect people from outside the "protected elected". So maybe you need to elect someone from the (gasp!) business world for your next mayor AND CITY COUNCIL! It may be the last resort to save your city. Godspeed!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 11:42 AM

This is a great collection of photos. You really capture the moody character of the city. Portland has so many intrinsic strengths that I’m optimistic it will rebound well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos