HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
This appears to contradict the post that Dominion301 compiled a couple weeks ago.
Yes... I am a little curious where you saw this information VaskoYOW ?

Random July weekdays:

YOW --> YYC 3x
2 A319 and 1 320
AC 349, 353, 355

YYC --> YOW 3x
2 A319 and 1 A320
AC 394, 352, 354
With a red-eye on 354 (3rd flight of the day)

YEG is 2x daily on E90 as you mentioned
With a red-eye on the second YEG-YOW of the day.

And I know you didn't mention it but YVR goes 4x daily (3x last peak summer).

All on A320 (vs A321 for some last year and this winter)
With a red eye on the 4th flight of the day

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Yes... I am a little curious where you saw this information VaskoYOW ?

Random July weekdays:

YOW --> YYC 3x
2 A319 and 1 320
AC 349, 353, 355

YYC --> YOW 3x
2 A319 and 1 A320
AC 394, 352, 354
With a red-eye on 354 (3rd flight of the day)

YEG is 2x daily on E90 as you mentioned
With a red-eye on the second YEG-YOW of the day.

And I know you didn't mention it but YVR goes 4x daily (3x last peak summer).

All on A320 (vs A321 for some last year and this winter)
With a red eye on the 4th flight of the day

Yes, I did random search in July...seems like the red eye flight has been removed from last year(354).

I did see that YVR is now going 4x daily with the A320(nice little gain from S18) but I'm not sure if that's going to offset the down gauge from Alberta for S19.

There is still time for some little changes in the schedule, hopefully at least one of those 2x daily E190 to YEG goes to an A319. Time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Yes, I did random search in July...seems like the red eye flight has been removed from last year(354).

I did see that YVR is now going 4x daily with the A320(nice little gain from S18) but I'm not sure if that's going to offset the down gauge from Alberta for S19.

There is still time for some little changes in the schedule, hopefully at least one of those 2x daily E190 to YEG goes to an A319. Time will tell.
Time will tell as the AC flight schedules are still showing 3x: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...schedules.html

The online booking engine seems to be getting flights uploaded slowly. For example the new 2nd daily YYG flight was only uploaded a couple of days ago, even though the online schedule was showing the update at least 2 weeks prior. Hopefully that's the case here too with YYC.

How about contacting AC to find out?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:52 AM

I was at the airport this afternoon and was lucky enough to catch a Nolinor 732 roaring off of runway 25 to YMX. Looks like it came in from YMX yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I was at the airport this afternoon and was lucky enough to catch a Nolinor 732 roaring off of runway 25 to YMX. Looks like it came in from YMX yesterday.
What would a plane like that be doing in Ottawa?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
What would a plane like that be doing in Ottawa?
Mining charters and/or cargo delivery/pickup usually.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:55 PM

They'll sometimes do YOW-YFB for Canadian North or First Air if one of their planes goes tech, too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
They'll sometimes do YOW-YFB for Canadian North or First Air if one of their planes goes tech, too.
Indeed. This time, I don't know if it did anything other than hop over from YMX and then hop back the next day.

Maybe it went to First Air for some work?

On a separate note, a Sunwing (TUI leased) 738 had a minor engine incident on a VRA-YOW flight on Feb 18th: http://avherald.com/h?article=4c4da41c&opt=0

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:31 PM

YOW (tied with El Paso) won the ASQ Best Airport in North America Award again in 2018 for the 2-5 million passengers category. Next year YOW will be in the 5-10 million category.

https://aci.aero/customer-experience...etween-2-and-5

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
YOW (tied with El Paso) won the ASQ Best Airport in North America Award again in 2018 for the 2-5 million passengers category. Next year YOW will be in the 5-10 million category.

Should they not be in that category in 2018?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:

You know it makes a lot of sense. It's an incredible airport, one of the best I've been to in all of my extensive travels, and it's about to get a lot better. If only we had more connections.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Airport parking approaches capacity as March Break nears
Temporary overflow lot available at Hylands Golf Club

CBC News
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 5:19 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

With only a few days to go before March Break begins, the Ottawa International Airport's parking lots are nearly full.

According to the airport authority, this is the first time in its history the lots have approached capacity.

There is a contingency plan, the authority said: a temporary lot will be set up at the nearby Hylands Golf Club on Alert Road, where it will cost $10 per day to park. The airport will offer free shuttle service to and from the temporary lot.

The authority is asking passengers to make sure the airport's lots are indeed full before heading to the temporary lot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...full-1.5045901

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Should they not be in that category in 2018?
There's always a 1 year lag before an airport changes categories as 5 million wasn't known until the end of the year, while survey stats are compiled throughout the year based on 2017's pax totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Airport parking approaches capacity as March Break nears
Temporary overflow lot available at Hylands Golf Club

CBC News
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 5:19 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

With only a few days to go before March Break begins, the Ottawa International Airport's parking lots are nearly full.

According to the airport authority, this is the first time in its history the lots have approached capacity.

There is a contingency plan, the authority said: a temporary lot will be set up at the nearby Hylands Golf Club on Alert Road, where it will cost $10 per day to park. The airport will offer free shuttle service to and from the temporary lot.

The authority is asking passengers to make sure the airport's lots are indeed full before heading to the temporary lot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...full-1.5045901
Demand exceeding supply is a good sign for breaking last year's March pax total of 446,390.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:49 PM

Huh. I would have thought with Uber there would be a drop in parking demand. Uber is way cheaper than taxi and its at the point where a round trip Uber from literally anywhere in the city to the airport is cheaper than 1 week of parking, not even including the gas. I fail to see why anybody whose away for more than a few days would drive themselves.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Huh. I would have thought with Uber there would be a drop in parking demand. Uber is way cheaper than taxi and its at the point where a round trip Uber from literally anywhere in the city to the airport is cheaper than 1 week of parking, not even including the gas. I fail to see why anybody whose away for more than a few days would drive themselves.
Keep in mind that the majority of travellers are families on March Break. With luggage, you'd likely need an Uber XL. I checked and it's about $40 one-way from Barrhaven and $60-70 from Orleans/Kanata.

The weekly rate at the airport is $78.00, so it's probably more sensible to do that for most families.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 10:47 PM

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...ay-Feb2019.pdf

AC Investor Day presentation. A220 will be great YOW. They don't yet seem to be saying much about more 7M8 TATL from YOW. I don't think the prognosis for more AC widebody from YOW is great.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the majority of travellers are families on March Break. With luggage, you'd likely need an Uber XL. I checked and it's about $40 one-way from Barrhaven and $60-70 from Orleans/Kanata.

The weekly rate at the airport is $78.00, so it's probably more sensible to do that for most families.
Still.. when factoring in the gas too that would mean a round trip Uber XL is still the cheapest option for a good chunk of the city's population. And you probably wouldn't need an XL anyway, unless you're five.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Still.. when factoring in the gas too that would mean a round trip Uber XL is still the cheapest option for a good chunk of the city's population. And you probably wouldn't need an XL anyway, unless you're five.
Another thing people often forget about are car seats. My kids are 5 and 7 and will be in car seats for the foreseeable future. It is a hassle to remove them and I've never heard of an Uber coming with car seats. I don't mind a short trip nearby but the 20+ km trek to the airport I don't feel comfortable doing it without the kids strapped in. So we will be fighting with the masses at 4am on Saturday!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:21 AM

I think for families driving to the airport and paying the parking makes sense.

Kids, car seats, bags. Cabs and Uber won't really have the room. Transit is pricey if you are a lot of people. That explains the parking lot saturation at Chirstmas and March break.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:29 AM

I'd like to see them build the next parking lot just north of Uplands Station. The parking ticket could include a fare to ride the airport shuttle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation