HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Complicated? To each his own I guess. Reimbursement is as simple as submitting the receipt in your expense claim and the Uber receipt is already digital so you don't even need to scan it. Taxi chits are cool if you're getting around locally but they're useless out of town... or are they?

I also don't think taxi chits can be used for cost recoverable travel.
That is complicated, if I'm just going around in Ottawa from one building to another. Taxi chit is way easier.

If I am on a travel claim and heading to the airport, it's another matter. Uber and taxi are basically the same effort to claim.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:06 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Of course it's easier for local travel. But since we're in a thread talking about planes and airports logically my mindset is travel involving those.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
That would make YYG 2x daily. I somehow doubt that. I always thought that route was subsidized by Tourism PEI as well. It usually runs early May until around Labour Day.
The flight is definitely not subsidized. In fact, 5-6 years ago it ran at 2x one summer.

I think this might have something to do with the influx of new CR9s coming to Jazz plus the repatriation of CRJs from Air Georgian.

The source I'm quoting is this post: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=7454 in this thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...53826&page=373 - just found out about this thread.

As of yesterday, none of the schedule changes this person posted had been uploaded to AC's online booking engine yet. Either the person is an AC insider or has access to a GDS where the changes are already showing up. As I suspected, places like YQT, YFC and YQM are getting either partially or wholly Rouged with the 4 new A320s from WoW coming onboard, which frees up Q400s, which is freeing up DH3s/CRJs.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
The flight is definitely not subsidized. In fact, 5-6 years ago it ran at 2x one summer.

I think this might have something to do with the influx of new CR9s coming to Jazz plus the repatriation of CRJs from Air Georgian.

The source I'm quoting is this post: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=7454 in this thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...53826&page=373 - just found out about this thread.

As of yesterday, none of the schedule changes this person posted had been uploaded to AC's online booking engine yet. Either the person is an AC insider or has access to a GDS where the changes are already showing up. As I suspected, places like YQT, YFC and YQM are getting either partially or wholly Rouged with the 4 new A320s from WoW coming onboard, which frees up Q400s, which is freeing up DH3s/CRJs.
Great! Thanks for passing that information along to me. I am always a fan of route increases and capacity increases for our airport!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:26 PM

Just checked online:

YOW-YYG
0710-0948 CRJ-200
1420-1658 CRJ-200

YYG-YOW
1020-1107
1730-1817

Both are weekdays (did not check weekends).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Just checked online:

YOW-YYG
0710-0948 CRJ-200
1420-1658 CRJ-200

YYG-YOW
1020-1107
1730-1817

Both are weekdays (did not check weekends).
What website did you find the new flights on? On aircanada.com nothing's been uploaded yet.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
What website did you find the new flights on? On aircanada.com nothing's been uploaded yet.
Air Canada Timetable

Use the manual search and not the downloadable timetable.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Air Canada Timetable

Use the manual search and not the downloadable timetable.
Awesome, thanks and yes the YYG is 2x on weekends too!

Here's the new Rapidair flight taking it to 18x on weekdays:
AC 474 YYZ-YOW 1640-1742
AC 465 YOW-YYZ 1830-1932

Rapidair equipment breakdown is as follows:
Weekdays:
320 6x
E90 11x
763 1x

Saturdays:
7M8 1x
320 5x
E90 8x
763 1x

Sundays:
7M8 2x
320 6x
E90 7x
763 1x

Other AC changes not already noted:
  • YHZ stays at 5x, but goes all CR9. That's actually a very slight decrease in seats due to the Q400 seating 78 vs 76 on the CR9. Last summer was a mix of DH4 and CR9;
  • YFC is a DH3 this summer as previously noted vs CRJ last summer = same seat capacity;
  • YQB, as has been the case for many years, does in fact remain at 1x daily except Saturdays over the summer, but is upgauged from a DH1 to a DH3;
  • To YUL: Is showing as 8x/day (7x Saturdays) broken down as: CRJ 3x, CR9 2x, DH3 2x (including a departure at 1340, which rotates the YFC/YXU DH3 / 1x DH3 on Sat) and 320 1x;
  • From YUL is showing as 9x (8x Saturdays)...hmmm: Same equipment as "To YUL" plus an E90 1x;
  • YXU is as previously reported upgauged from DH1 2x to DH3 1x & CRJ 1x;
  • YYC UPDATED: YYC is back up to 3x, including 2x 319 and 1x 320 = 1 flight upgauged from 319 on weekdays (3rd flight on weekends is an E90);
  • YEG is all E90 and only 1x on weekends - I don't remember whether it was like this last summer;
  • YVR as previously reported increases to 4x 320 vs 2x 321 & 1x 320 last summer = 136 more seats/day on the route; AND
  • No changes on transborder, including the 319s to MCO on weekends.

So there's this mystery extra E90 inbound from YUL in the schedule still. Wonder what will happen with that? I'm guessing it's an error and will be pulled.

Overall, there's a small, but decent bump in AC's capacity for this coming summer domestically.

Last edited by Dominion301; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
There's a twitter thread where Flair and YOW are asking where Flair should fly to/from.

Check out @FlyYOW’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/FlyYOW/status/10...913029120?s=09
Retweet it and get the word out. Propose to Flair to not just have them add a couple of flights here, but to make YOW their YEG east!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Speaking of Flair...

Quote:
Flair Airlines suddenly stops flying to some U.S. destinations
'We are super disappointed and frustrated,' Edmonton customer says

Pete Evans · CBC News
Posted: Feb 21, 2019 2:43 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Canadian carrier Flair Airlines has suddenly suspended some of its flights to destinations in Florida and California as of next week, leaving some customers in the lurch.

The Kelowna-based airline, which only recently expanded its service to include U.S. destinations, surprised many of its customers with the unexpected news this week.

Flair customers have complained that March break holiday plans have been thrown up in the air because of the sudden decision, which apparently only includes destinations in Florida and California.

"Flair can confirm that we are suspending seasonal service to some US destinations beginning February 28th," a spokesperson for the airline told CBC News, adding that seasonal service to Miami and St. Pete-Clearwater in Florida will end ahead of schedule, as will flights to Palm Springs, Calif.

Flights to other U.S. destinations, including service to Orlando, Fla. out of Winnipeg, and Las Vegas and Phoenix routes out of Edmonton and Winnipeg, will continue as planned.

"We are in the process of contacting all affected passengers and providing them with full refunds or, for those who have already started their journey, alternative travel arrangements on other airlines."

Edmontonian Larissa Jardine was booked on a Flair flight to Orlando set to leave Edmonton on Friday and return March 1, when she checked her ticket recently to discover her return flight had been cancelled without her knowledge.

"We didn't receive any notification and had we not went to print the itinerary off, we would have found out at the airport tomorrow that we had no flight home," she said via email. She said she has scrambled to find a replacement flight home, but it will cost her about $600 and she'll loseone day of her vacation.

"This is our first time flying with Flair and we are super disappointed and frustrated," she said.

She also takes issue with the airline's contention that they are offering full refunds, noting the airline has only offered her $350 for her round trip package for two that cost her $961 once baggage and other fees were included.

"They do not seem to feel bad about ... all the inconveniences it has caused," she said.

The airline says no flights within Canada are affected, but cited "disappointing load factors" on some of the new U.S. routes to explain the decision.

"The routes affected were always planned as seasonal service. Suspending these services earlier than expected was not a decision we took lightly, and we explored every option prior to coming to this decision," Flair said.

Business professor Barry Prentice at the University of Manitoba says cancelling flights with short notice will cost the airline in terms of its reputation in the short term, but ultimately he says the decision was probably the right business decision if passenger loads weren't what they anticipated.

"They have to cover all their costs and they're not getting enough traffic, then they obviously have to suspend their operations," he said in an interview. "I think they're they're being very responsible in their actions."

Airline analyst Ken Beleshko says given how cutthroat the aviation business can be, it's perhaps no surprise to see an upstart go through a bumpy ride while it finds its wings.

"it's not surprising at all because it's a very tough market and they have limited resources," he said in an interview. "They don't have enough airplanes to really service such an ambitious route structure."

"This is potentially turning off the people who were willing to fly Flair before," he said. "It has potential to alienate some of their customers by doing this cancellation so abruptly."

With files from Jacqueline Hansen

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fla...ions-1.5028320

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:28 PM

With the DH1s leaving YOW, I see that YOW-YQB in May and then when the second flight returns in mid-September that it’s on a CRJ. The last time a jet was on YOW-YQB would have been back in the late 1980s on a DC-9.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:49 PM

A lot of chatter in the Edmonton section about Flair.

I really think Flair was a bit too aggressive with the U.S expansion and they screwed up hard. The main thing is that they offered destinations to places that didnt make much sense apart from Phoenix and Vegas, which are conveniently still being offered (Florida isn't much of a travel destination for Western Canadians and Palm Springs is a small resort town that was going to be hard to sustain on a continuous basis).

I think a focus on domestic flights and directing connections to places like YEG and YOW should be the main focus. I'm still really hoping for a YEG-YOW route offered as I'd love to be able to come visit Ottawa on a much more frequent basis.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 1:48 PM

Question: are the winds anticipated at Pearson this evening (50kph, 80 gusts) likely to lead to cancellations of flights to Ottawa?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Question: are the winds anticipated at Pearson this evening (50kph, 80 gusts) likely to lead to cancellations of flights to Ottawa?
Probably. AC467 departed super-late (still in the air as I write this) and was also upgauged to a MAX, as was AC461, while AC463 was upped to a 320.

Tomorrow morning, AC444 is showing as being upped to a 321.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Probably. AC467 departed super-late (still in the air as I write this) and was also upgauged to a MAX, as was AC461, while AC463 was upped to a 320.

Tomorrow morning, AC444 is showing as being upped to a 321.
Thanks. The Ottawa flight was cancelled last night (although surprisingly Air Canada provided a hotel voucher) and rescheduled flight arrived recently.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:00 PM

I'm sure someone posted this before. The website of YOW's projects, including the Alt, the rail link and renovations.

https://yow.ca/en/yow-plus/overview

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 9:01 PM

I did a random search for Tuesday, 02JUL19 on WS' website for their summer 2019 YOW schedule. While there are no frequency changes vs last year, here is the equipment and frequency by route:
YYZ: 1x 736, 1x 7M8 & 10x DH4
YHZ: 2x DH4 & 1x 7M8
YWG: 1x 73G
YEG: 1x 736 - if that's daily, that's a cut from last year's 73G
YYC: 2x 738 - wasn't it 1x 73G & 1x 738 last summer?
YVR: 1x 73G & 1x 736 - wasn't it 2x 73G last summer?

The equipment might vary on some non-Encore flights depending upon the day of the week and YYZ is reduced frequency on weekends of course.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I did a random search for Tuesday, 02JUL19 on WS' website for their summer 2019 YOW schedule. While there are no frequency changes vs last year, here is the equipment and frequency by route:
YYZ: 1x 736, 1x 7M8 & 10x DH4
YHZ: 2x DH4 & 1x 7M8
YWG: 1x 73G
YEG: 1x 736 - if that's daily, that's a cut from last year's 73G
YYC: 2x 738 - wasn't it 1x 73G & 1x 738 last summer?
YVR: 1x 73G & 1x 736 - wasn't it 2x 73G last summer?

The equipment might vary on some non-Encore flights depending upon the day of the week and YYZ is reduced frequency on weekends of course.
The YEG flight is daily, May 27th until Thanksgiving and 6x April 28 - May 26. And I don't know if it was daily, but there was definitely the 736 on the YVR route last year. I think the morning YVR departure had it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:35 PM

So AC has finally updated its booking engine for summer 2019.

Alberta seems to be down gauged for S19.

Not only YEG but now YYC has been down gauged compared to S18.

YYC 2 daily: 1 A320 and 1 A319 compared to 3 daily A319 to S18.
YEG 2 daily: both on E190 compared to 2 daily A319 to S18.

Hitting the 5million PAX mark again might be tough this year!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
So AC has finally updated its booking engine for summer 2019.

Alberta seems to be down gauged for S19.

Not only YEG but now YYC has been down gauged compared to S18.

YYC 2 daily: 1 A320 and 1 A319 compared to 3 daily A319 to S18.
YEG 2 daily: both on E190 compared to 2 daily A319 to S18.

Hitting the 5million PAX mark again might be tough this year!
This appears to contradict the post that Dominion301 compiled a couple weeks ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation