HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:58 PM

Are these the only two proposals? The two with the ring is ok and the taller one is nice but not amazing.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Are these the only two proposals? The two with the ring is ok and the taller one is nice but not amazing.
These are just concepts of what could be built here since nothing is actually proposed for this site as far as I know.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 AM

Cause i would love a building thats 1700 feet roof height at least.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 2:03 AM
Metal Up Your !

Holy smoke on the water. This is the greatest era of skyscrapers for New York city. These designs, both the halo and the slanted tower, are amazing architectural ideas. I would love either of these to get built. One of the best days in new designs for skyscraperpage in a while, imo.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 2:38 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

I get goosebumps looking at those renders and imagining what could be built around Grand Central. With this and other large scale projects like the Penn Station redevelopment, Hudson Yards, WTC, the Con-Ed East River site, NYC is on the verge of unbelievable skyscraper growth that perhaps not even the building boom of the 1930's could possibly rival.

Last edited by NYC4Life; Oct 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:22 AM
Bostonian

I really, really hope that the ring design is seriously considered. It is unlike anything else in the world.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:24 AM

The two towers with the ring in the middle is my favorite design, hands down! Futuristic and unlike anything else ever built or being built. It just screams New York! Hope it becomes reality

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:41 AM
Paramoderator

I like the ring design if it didn't' have the ring, and I'm really curious to see this huge underground space they seem to be planning. However, please don't touch the Metlife tower! I love that building! It's a beautiful piece of brutalism.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Cause i would love a building thats 1700 feet roof height at least.
Who wouldn't

I was all rendered out yesterday, between this and 425 Park. I'd now be interested to see what SL Green has to say about these concepts.
Foster seemed to go on and on, but I do like some of his ideas for the surrounding area.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=21017

Lord Foster presents plans to redevelop Grand Central Terminal in New York

Friday 19 Oct 2012

Quote:
Last night, three major architecture practices presented their concepts for the redesign of Grand Central Terminal in New York to The Municipal Art Society of New York. Grand Central…The Next 100 challenged Foster + Partners, Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM) and WXY Studio to re-imagine the public spaces around Grand Central Station as it approaches its 100th birthday in February 2013.

To Lord Foster, the answer is to widen a number of access points - the 42nd Street entrance in particular - and insert a number of new openings, such as a new concourse under the west entrance plaza. Also in Foster + Partners’ plans is the pedestrianisation of Vanderbilt Avenue which would be anchored by a new civic space between 43rd Street and the Terminal’s west entrance.

This focus on pedestrian pathways is furthered by generating larger underground spaces through the Helmsley Building and widening the pavements on Lexington Avenue which will be brought to life with newly-introduced foliage. On a more aesthetic level, Foster + Partners suggest inserting more trees, sculpture and street cafes to vicinity to enliven the surrounding area.

Lord Norman Foster details: “The Municipal Arts Society’s call to study the Next 100 Years of Grand Central Terminal in the wider context of the city and its public realm represents an important and welcome debate that will help shape the future form of the city. The quality of a city’s public realm reflects the level of civic pride and has a direct impact on the quality of everyday life. With the advent of the Long Island Rail Road East Side Access, along with the plan to re-zone the district, there has never been a better opportunity to tackle the issues of public access and mobility around one of the greatest rail terminals in the world.”

I'm almost sick of renderings, but the plans are downloadable from the MAS
http://mas.org/next-100-proposed-vis...aces-oct-2012/

Cropped more images...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:36 PM

Yeah, I really doubt that the moving halo would ever be built. Maybe a stationary one, but I don't even want to think about the engineering involved for a moving one. I say they should just go for broke and build a 1800-2000 foot single tower here so people can stop bitching about tallest to roof height vs. spire height vs. antenna height etc. The winner will be clear and this is probably the right location for it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm so glad that the Metlife Building is getting re-used instead of torn down, it is one of my favourites and New York would not be the same without this icon.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
They're not really twins, just about the same height. BTW, earlier on the news I heard people actually being suportive of the idea of the observation platform/wheel. Surprising. I don't think it would be built, not in that form. But I think the excitement from some of the ideas that will be presented today will encourage similar ideas for what eventually does get built. Maybe they need to step it up again over on the west side.
-
I'd call them fraternal twins.

I also doubt it would get built, particularly if they plan to have it move up and down.

All of these renderings are overwhelming. I get the feeling whatever ends up being built will look great.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 9:31 PM

Aside from the hordes of critics who completely *loathe* the PanAm/MetLife building and still yearn to see its demise, did anyone during the course of this discussion or anywhere else suggest or imply that it *would*...or even *should*? I'm asking not to be a rhetorical smart-@$$; but maybe I missed out when the suggestion might have been made during the online presentation.

It needs to stay...if only to keep one of the surprisingly few towers (for the time being) between 800 and 900 feet in *all* NYC intact. The idea of converting two thirds of it to civic use is all the more good reasoning. The only thing I would suggest vis a vis the greenery between the building segments is to ease up a bit. Having rooftop vegetation on any skyscraper just slopped on like ChiaPet paste is just flat out *stupid*.

There...I said it.

Last edited by JayPro; Oct 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
i like this shot

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 1:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Aside from the hordes of critics who completely *loathe* the PanAm/MetLife building and still yearn to see its demise, did anyone during the course of this discussion or anywhere else suggest or imply that it *would*...or even *should*? I'm asking not to be a rhetorical smart-@$$; but maybe I missed out when the suggestion might have been made during the online presentation.

It needs to stay...if only to keep one of the surprisingly few towers (for the time being) between 800 and 900 feet in *all* NYC intact. The idea of converting two thirds of it to civic use is all the more good reasoning. The only thing I would suggest vis a vis the greenery between the building segments is to ease up a bit. Having rooftop vegetation on any skyscraper just slopped on like ChiaPet paste is just flat out *stupid*.

There...I said it.
That rendering is meant just to give an impression of green space. There has been talk in the past of doing something with the Met Life (Pan Am) building, but it's not coming down. I'm one of the few people who like it, as it stands proud and grand over Grand Central and Park Avenue. It's an iconic New York skyscraper. With the coming changes to the district, and as older buildings are converted to residential, it would not surprise me at all if some changes were made to the building, either in usage or appearance.

Look at the photo below. It's central to all of the new major development. Change is almost inevitable. They're not gonna sit by and let all the "starchitects" have all the fun.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:15 PM
Come As You Are

Dammit, what do these developers think New York is? Dubai? What's with all these stupid designs?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:58 PM

The tower design is alright, its height and bulk are awesome, but I'm especially excited about proposed streetscape changes, like opening Vanderbilt Avenue's lower levels to spaces above. Terminal City has an amazing stacking of public spaces, which need to be celebrated, not hidden.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:59 PM

The single taller tower looks very out of place for NYC. It looks like it belongs in San Fran.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 4:23 PM
World Machine

Just looking again through these renders of what could be, I do find these concepts to be radical yet almost necessary. The designs may be questionable in some cases, however the big picture of what this transformation could mean for Midtown is extraordinary.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 6:32 PM
don't *meddle*...

Oh my... I need to take a breath. Those visions are just awesome, especially the one with the ring. Would be an instant eye catcher.

Either build a solid 2000 footer or something as awesome as those two towers with the ring. I'm spoiled now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive