HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

Wait, is the Pickel Alley project still happening??? I've been holding out hope but it's been a long time since we heard anything. The buildings look way worse than I last saw them too.
Just saw a demolition permit for the "Pickle and Hide Budildings" at 739 S 400 W. Sad to lose those buildings. Also strange that we haven't seen any renderings of what is replacing them..

EDIT: Also interesting that they were awarded $50k to renovate the building in 2017 Granted, I can't imagine 50k goes too far in renovating a building in such bad shape..

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:20 PM

Interesting. There was a crew out there cleaning the graffiti off of the older buildings. I asked and was told that the newer ones in between the older ones are being demolished.

Last edited by Orlando; Yesterday at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:24 PM
Space Magi

The demo permits are for 737 S and 739 S, which I think are the two buildings on the left and center in this image. The Pickle Building on the right is 741 S. So maybe they are only demolishing the left two

Update on 95 State, Liberty Sky, Kensington, the Birdie, Moda Luxe, and 255 S. State from the webcam:

Finally, here's another apartment development I'd never heard of: the "Quade Apartments." 237 affordable units, no idea where it is going to be:
https://www.housingfinance.com/finan...es-financing_o

Last edited by Atlas; Yesterday at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Update on 95 State, Liberty Sky, Kensington, the Birdie, Moda Luxe, and 255 S. State from the webcam:

Just wanted to point out that it looks like a tower crane base has been installed for 225 S State. We should see another tower crane going up downtown within the next few weeks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The demo permits are for 737 S and 739 S, which I think are the two buildings on the left and center in this image. The Pickle Building on the right is 741 S. So maybe they are only demolishing the left two

I think your right.

Here is 737 S. Demo Permit: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Here is 739 S. Demo Permit: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

This leaves only the main Pickle building on the site.

This also means the Pickle Alley project as we knew it is dead, since it included the 737 building in its plans.

https://www.designdistill.com/news-b...-redevelopment

I wonder what they plan to do instead?

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:57 PM
Space Magi

Worth noting is that the parcel of land listed in the 737 S demo permit (15121300120000) is a retired designation that's been subsumed into 15121300260000, which you can look up in the county assessor. That parcel includes the original Hide building but also a later addition that connects to it around the asphalt. This is all to say that maybe they're only demolishing the additional structure on the parcel and leaving the older building intact. Maybe the old plan is still alive then? Just a guess though!

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

The crews were cleaning the graffiti off of the brick building to the north of the pickle building, and they said that the newer metal buildings in between the buildings were to be demolished. I also spoke to one of the owners who just pulled up when I was there.

Old Posted Today, 12:08 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Thanks for the images, Orlando. I'm really looking forward to seeing the CCH rise. It's going to completely alter the skyline from the west and south.

Until recently I didn't really understand why people on the forum hate this building so much. Now I get it. For those unaware, the building that used to be at that site was the Dooly Building, the only building in SLC that was designed by the great Louis Sullivan himself. What a terrible loss!

Source and extensive article about the Dooly Building
Wow Atlas! Yes, the Holiday Inn building was a massive downgrade to this building. No question!

Old Posted Today, 2:20 AM

[QUOTE=Blah_Amazing;9257008][I really don't like INDUSTRY from the outside. That whole stretch seems bland and something really needs to be done to that street to make it look better. Some trees would help at least a little bit.
It honestly needed to be way taller than one floor or at least have had more color than gray/beige to make things pop. Its sad, cause I remember the renderings of the interior being really nice.

The original plan was for Industry to completely redo that block with wider sidewalks, trees, just two lanes of traffic, etc. to tie the project into their property across the street to the east where additional office, housing, etc. is/was planned.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West