HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 9:19 PM

I wonder if they misread the COVID situation by putting the residential part of this project on-hold. There's dozens of other residential projects announced and/or under construction since they paused this.... either everyone else is a fool, or they miscalculated demand.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I wonder if they misread the COVID situation by putting the residential part of this project on-hold. There's dozens of other residential projects announced and/or under construction since they paused this.... either everyone else is a fool, or they miscalculated demand.
I agree. Makes me wonder about Toll and their hole in the ground a few blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 7:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I agree. Makes me wonder about Toll and their hole in the ground a few blocks away.
Tolls project is condos, not apartments. They did release a statement a few months back stating they plan to break ground in Q1 of 2022. Their reasoning was to wait for current high-end inventory to shrink. Makes sense, but I doubt this project would have trouble now or 1 year from now.

Goldenberg Group is another entity notorious for using the "non-ideal market" excuse to delay projects. Their Market Street hole and languishing Broad Street Health Center land are still sitting because of that excuse.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Goldenberg Group is another entity notorious for using the "non-ideal market" excuse to delay projects. Their Market Street hole and languishing Broad Street Health Center land are still sitting because of that excuse.

Yeah Goldenberg.... the worst. It's such a brutal, visible occupation to suck at. Like, if I'm bad at my job - only a handful of people know and are affected by my terribleness. When you suck at real estate development in a major city - which they clearly do - tens of thousands of people everyweek wallow in your shit storm of failure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
Yeah Goldenberg.... the worst. It's such a brutal, visible occupation to suck at. Like, if I'm bad at my job - only a handful of people know and are affected by my terribleness. When you suck at real estate development in a major city - which they clearly do - tens of thousands of people everyweek wallow in your shit storm of failure.
Yea, its ridiculous. And even worse with Goldenberg, their RFP for the Broad Street Health Center was chosen by the city 3 years ago, and here we are with no timeline on a start date... Meanwhile (as we said), their other huge Market Street parcel is still rotting away.

The city needs put more pressure on developers and landowners to de-incentivize sitting on land / parking lots in prime transit rich business & tourist hubs.

I have no idea what Jefferson plans to do, but I am confident Toll will development their tower in 2022, I just wish it was nicer looking.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
......languishing Broad Street Health Center land are still sitting because of that excuse.
They should just demo all the structures on those parcels and use them as surface parking lots until the market improves.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Poor Goldenberg. I hate that his feelings are hurt. Luckily, his billions of dollars will dull the pain of his public lack of expertise in real estate development.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 5:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 4:33 PM

I walked by this development yesterday...the steel has just started to go up but it's already clear that this will be a transformative development for the neighborhood. Kudos to the team behind East Market - the whole project has been very well thought out.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:41 PM

Thomas Jefferson Specialty Care Pavilion Rises Above Ground At 1101 Chestnut Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/08/thom...nter-city.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 2:14 AM
Fishtown & Country

9/18

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:06 PM
Chris

Random question (may have been asked already).

Does the Jefferson Tower plan to have commercial spaces along Chestnut Street or typical institutional style entrances like most of their buildings? I assumed East Market Phase III would include some level of commercial to keep the energy up.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 11:35 AM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:07 AM

I've been wondering about the apparent lack of a central core in this project?
Also 2222 Market, U City Square 1 and Drexel Nursing. I thought it was required by fire code and/or engineering considerations.
Can someone enlighten me?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 5:45 PM

^ No idea, but this might be unpopular, but i hope the park stays for a while...
This area could use the open area, and I think maybe we wait to develop the park until we have a taller development idealy.

But that's my take soo

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
I've been wondering about the apparent lack of a central core in this project?
Also 2222 Market, U City Square 1 and Drexel Nursing. I thought it was required by fire code and/or engineering considerations.
Can someone enlighten me?
Do you mean a poured concrete core? The elevators and fire stairs will still have a high rated enclosure, like 6 hours, and will be built out of materials that don't burn, like gysum boards.

I'm surprised the steel is taking so long to go up. Maybe the unionshae gotten used to the poured core concept and haven't keep up their speed skills. Small buildings like this, but with different uses, seemingly go up in a week in NYC.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:25 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
^ No idea, but this might be unpopular, but i hope the park stays for a while...
This area could use the open area, and I think maybe we wait to develop the park until we have a taller development idealy.

But that's my take soo
From the looks of it
They will be putting some money into the park so it might be staying for a while.
Unfortunately I was very anxious to see the wonderful terra cotta building planned built.
It appears from the plan below that there will be restaurant outdoor seating on the West side, on the passageway but it does look like institutional style entrance on street front.

1100 Chestnut Street -East Market Phase III b by

1100 Chestnut Street -East Market Phase III 6-21-21 c

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:40 PM

Retail plan from Dec 2019 CDR:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post

But that's my take soo
Unfortunately, that block and the ones surrounding it get a little seedy at night. Not sure if a park there would be a great asset at this point...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:47 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Unfortunately, that block and the ones surrounding it get a little seedy at night. Not sure if a park there would be a great asset at this point...
The 1200 block of Chestnut (directly west of the park) is probably the worst block of CC South of Market (at the moment).

If the park is well-done and some decent businesses open along that stretch, then I think it will be a nice asset down the road. I was hoping for a larger retail space with this project though. Something that would fit a Design Within Reach or a Crate & Barrel type store. The current space sizes look perfect for a coffee shop or cellphone store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive