HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

URL at Harborside I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:56 AM

The yellow crowns are a cheesy touch.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:15 AM

This is going to be three identical 713-foot buildings? Wow, will make a big difference on the west side of the Hudson riverfront.

The developer (Mack-Cali) owns all the surrounding lots too, and they've decided to shift from office to residential, so I assume this whole part of Jersey City will eventually become a forest of tall, bulky residential towers like these three.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 9:07 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I have the same question. Are they counting the three towers as one, or is only one of the towers being built at the present time? BTW, it disturbs me greatly that I recognized who the mayor of Jersey City was in that photo only because of Christie Bridgegate. lol

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:57 PM
New Yorker for life

^ You gotta love Jersey.

Just the first tower of the three is getting built now, I don't know the timeline of the other two, which will connect to this one by skybridge.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 6:13 PM

The pace of construction in Jersey City is nuts. There are two other highrises that went from dirt lots to about 5-7 stories and growing in the last 6 months. I don't think they have threads on here.

Jersey City (at least the waterfront) seems to be nothing but highrises or empty/parking lots. This will go up in the lot to the north of 5 Harborside Financial Center, there's another sizable lot to the South for a future Tower 4, and to the West is another parking lot as wide as, and longer than Tower 5 currently is. It seems like there's a frenzy to put up the next tall luxury high rise or office building in these lots.

Maybe in a few years the waterfront will actually have a more residential community vibe compared to the sterile office towers and near-vacant boulevards now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:34 PM

The design is pretty good - it will be nice to watch this rise from Battery Park.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is going to be three identical 713-foot buildings? Wow, will make a big difference on the west side of the Hudson riverfront.

The developer (Mack-Cali) owns all the surrounding lots too, and they've decided to shift from office to residential, so I assume this whole part of Jersey City will eventually become a forest of tall, bulky residential towers like these three.
They have very mild/slight differences. It will take a long time with the phases. I wish they could just build it all at once.

Yea Jersey City I predict will see many more large scale developments. Its a refugee camp in away for people who don't wanna pay Manhattan Prices. Its still expensive, but JC offers more SqFt at a cheaper rate. That will change though as more projects go up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:39 PM

I may or may not have heard of a 100-story tower in the works across the Hudson.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:39 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more demand in Jersey to be honest (unless there is and I'm not seeing it) especially with the WTC transit hub opening soon, I would figure more and more people would view Jersey as a desirable place to live.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more demand in Jersey to be honest (unless there is and I'm not seeing it) especially with the WTC transit hub opening soon, I would figure more and more people would view Jersey as a desirable place to live.
I personally would love to see towers go up in downtown Newark NJ. That city has arguably the best location for dozens of new projects to spring up. Penn Station Newark is all you need. Plus its a shit ton cheaper to live in that JC. Anyways, not to go off topic, but just food for thought.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I may or may not have heard of a 100-story tower in the works across the Hudson.
Yea, the Schvo tower. Insane whats going on this decade.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
No, not that, this would be in JC.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Do we know what parcels that tower would be located on?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is demand, which is whey you see so many new developments going up.

http://www.mack-cali.com/press-relea...aterfront/2382

Mack-Cali Realty Corporation/Ironstate Break Ground on New Urban Ready Living® Residential Tower on Jersey City Waterfront
New 69-Story Tower Will be the Tallest Residential Building in New Jersey

Quote:
URL® Harborside 1, a uniquely-designed, 69-story, multi-family residential tower, will bring 763 contemporary rental residences to Mack-Cali’s Harborside and the Jersey City Waterfront. The $291 million development, the first phase of URL® Harborside which will ultimately feature three towers comprising 2,358 residences overlooking the Manhattan skyline, is expected to be completed in mid-2016. The ambitious project will create hundreds of jobs in Jersey City, including construction and other full-time employment opportunities.

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop was on hand to announce the groundbreaking of the development. “This project speaks to the vibrancy of Jersey City, where development and investment continue to thrive," said Mayor Fulop. “Not only will this be the tallest residential building in the state, the project also incorporates sustainability elements and develops a community-style concept through public spaces. We are pleased to break ground on this exciting project today."

The move to start construction on a project of this magnitude signifies the continued confidence developers, business and civic leaders place in Jersey City as flourishing residential, lifestyle, and employment destination. There are currently approximately 5,000 residential units under construction in Jersey City and another 12,000 have approvals – with work expected to commence on more than half of them this year. In 2014, there will be more than 11,000 units under construction in Jersey City, illustrating the demand of the Jersey City residential market.

“We’re at a historic and interesting moment in the New York area,” said David Barry, president of Ironstate Development Company. “Everyone is drawn to live here, but the costs of housing can be prohibitive. To meet modern housing challenges, we need creative and thoughtful solutions. URL® provides a new paradigm for how people can live and work in the city – in a way that is more affordable, sustainable and community oriented.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:50 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7102

Jersey More
Two high-rise residential projects in Jersey City set to absorb New York City overflow around transit hubs.

The two developments are being built within walking distance to the Exchange Place and Journal Square PATH Stations

Quote:
Sited on the west bank of the Hudson River, Jersey City is connected to Manhattan by a web of transit lines that are making it an increasingly desirable location for new residents priced out of New York City. Developers have taken note of this trend, as evidenced by a pair of high-rise residential complexes that recently broke ground in the satellite city. When complete, the two projects—one designed by HWKN with Handel Architects, the other by Dutch firm Concrete—will be among the tallest buildings in New Jersey.

“As Brooklyn becomes more and more inconvenient due to affordability and transportation, people are warming up to New Jersey’s convenience,” said Matthias Hollwich, partner at HWKN. He noted that many of the amenities that draw people to Brooklyn already exist in Jersey City, from a vibrant dining scene to tech incubation hubs. “It’s really unknown to many people.” His firm is building a triad of towers at Journal Square, the tallest of which is 74 floors and 740 feet. “I was really amazed at the accessibility that’s completely underutilized,” he continued. “It’s only 10 minutes to the World Trade Center and 15 to Midtown Manhattan.”

HWKN broke ground at their so-called Journal Squared, or J2, project last November, according to developer Jonathan Kushner, brother of HWKN principal Marc Kushner. The 2.4 million-square-foot plan groups three towers around a PATH station that handles 5 million train passengers annually. The first tower will top out at 54 floors and features a pixelated facade of square windows accented by a dynamic lighting scheme. Hollwich declined to discuss design specifics of the project, but initial concepts call for a series of landscaped roof terraces with sweeping views of the Manhattan skyline.

“We took special care in the crafting of urban qualities so not to abuse what’s already there,” said Hollwich, emphasizing that the project is a prime example of a transit-oriented development. “You can reduce the parking because its been demonstrated that you need less around transit,” he said. “Now we have a maximum of .5 cars per apartment, but it potentially could be zero, and that’s a good thing.” Jonathan Kushner told the New York Times the future phases of the project would likely take several more years.

Down the tracks toward Manhattan, developers Mack-Cali Realty Corporation and Ironstate Development just broke ground on the first of three more towers grouped around the Exchange Place PATH Station. Concrete designed the three towers as a series of stacked glass boxes rising from parking podia covered in pixelated metal and wood screens. Occupiable landscaped roofs linked by pedestrian bridges connect the overall site. Standing 713 feet tall with 69 floors, the new tower, called URL Harborside, or Urban-Ready Living Harborside, takes the state’s second tallest title behind Cesar Pelli’s 42-story, 781-foot-tall 30 Hudson Street.

“We believe there is strong demand for a live-work-play environment that offers a true sense of community—all in an amenity-rich, transit-oriented location,” said Mitchell Hersh, Mack-Cali president and CEO, in a statement. Each of the planned 763 residences is designed to be energy-efficient with innovative layouts and communal amenities that appeal to flexible, urban lifestyles. When complete, the entire project will contain more than 2,300 units and retail space. The first phase of URL Harborside is expected to be complete in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:01 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 5th, 2014...

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:27 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 28th, 2014...

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 6:34 PM

Looks like construction is beginning! Last week new office trailers were delivered. Yesterday they began removing the hedges surrounding the site and have ripped up the parking lot where the first tower will go. I expect the first piles to be driven later this week.

Some photos:

I think this thread needs to be moved into the Under Construction section.

Also, does anyone know about that tower going up behind the powerhouse in the second photo? It's likely residential. Is there a thread for it? Similarly, there are at least 2 other residential high rises going up in the surrounding blocks that I don't think have threads either.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Those are pretty horrendous looking buildings but whatever adds height and density to Jersey City is good I guess.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Looks like construction is beginning!
The groundbreaking ceremony was in January, so expect action on sight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive