HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 7:54 PM
DENNAB

At first I thought the article was just using the old height but the official site now says 1,270' too.

Not surprised by the height cut considering the history of this site. Although it will look less weird next to tower one now I guess.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:05 PM
don't *meddle*...

https://www.wtc.com/office-space/2-w...#leasingAnchor

Quote:
Building Facts
ARCHITECT

Bjarke Ingels Group
HEIGHT

80+ Stories / 1270 FT
SIZE

2.8 million RSF of office
MAIN LOBBY

38,000 sf (3,530 sm), 40 feet tall
ELEVATORS

Destination Dispatch: Improves lobby traffic flow & limits crowding by directing passengers to assigned cars
LIFE SAFETY

Central concrete core Steel encased in reinforced concrete External structural steel frame Safety systems exceed building code
RETAIL

Access to 350,000 sf (32,516 sm) of shopping and restaurants
AMENITIES

Basketball courts, a running track, a cafeteria and screening rooms. The amenity floors are located so they can feed directly out onto the roof top parks.
I don't really mind 2WTC being 1,270'. I think 3WTC needs more height since it lost its spires. 3WTC should be 1,150' to the parapet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:07 AM

Last edited by Cynicism; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:49 AM
Show me the blueprints

Hmmm you mean like 1776' to roof and 2001' to spire tip? Yeah, hindsight...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 2:18 AM

I've been by intention out of the loop for a long time on the World Trade Center reconstruction, because, being a New York City resident, every single day I am forced to behold the utter banality called One World Trade. It was always my remaining hope that the brilliant diamonds-roof design of Norman Foster would somehow, if only marginally, redeem the disaster that this reconstruction has become.

And now this.

I just learned an hour ago, from talking to a construction worker down at the site. "Oh,' he said. "The Foster diamonds are gone."

The Foster diamonds are gone?

Yes, they are gone. Instead we get a gigantic, ponderous, utterly ugly truncated staircase in the sky. The slanted diamonds had major symbolic importance. They echoed a key element of the Liebskind site plan, mainly that some architectural element would point to, and bow in homage, to the exact location of the disaster. And Foster's design did that, brilliantly, and people all over the city would know at a glance what the diamonds were pointing down to, and would pause and remember.

I am so fed up with this whole mess, and my only question, to anyone who cares to answer (since out of sheer disgust I can't be arsed to look it up myself) is this: Why was this building redesigned, and why were the Diamonds of Homage discarded? (Oh, no doubt it has something to do with capitalism, and with greed; the same way the sculpture on the spire of One World Trade was discarded to save money, a sculpture that would have had the saving grace of making the extant mess look somewhat less meaningless.)

Jesus. Effing. Christ. What a DISASTER. The site as a whole is an architectural disaster replacing the actual disaster. It's just sickening.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
I've been by intention out of the loop for a long time on the World Trade Center reconstruction, because, being a New York City resident, every single day I am forced to behold the utter banality called One World Trade. It was always my remaining hope that the brilliant diamonds-roof design of Norman Foster would somehow, if only marginally, redeem the disaster that this reconstruction has become.

And now this.

I just learned an hour ago, from talking to a construction worker down at the site. "Oh,' he said. "The Foster diamonds are gone."

Yes, they are gone. Instead we get a gigantic, ponderous, utterly ugly truncated staircase in the sky. The slanted diamonds had major symbolic importance. They echoed a key element of the Liebskind site plan, mainly that some architectural element would point to, and bow in homage, to the exact location of the disaster. And Foster's design did that, brilliantly, and people all over the city would know at a glance what the diamonds were pointing down to, and would pause and remember.

I am so fed up with this whole mess, and my only question, to anyone who cares to answer (since out of sheer disgust I can't be arsed to look it up myself) is this: Why was this building redesigned, and why were the Diamonds of Homage discarded? (Oh, no doubt it has something to do with capitalism, and with greed; the same way the sculpture on the spire of One World Trade was discarded to save money, a sculpture that would have had the saving grace of making the extant mess look somewhat less meaningless.)

Jesus. Effing. Christ. What a DISASTER. The site as a whole is an architectural disaster replacing the actual disaster. It's just sickening.
News Corp/Fox is set to be the anchor tenant but their condition was that they bring in their own architect (Bjarke Ingels).

While true that they needed to redesign the floor plates and layouts to fit their studios and newsrooms, the least Silverstein could've done (since he was always vocal about his preference of Foster's design) would be to insist to the Murdochs that Foster and Ingels do a joint collaboration effort instead of completely getting rid of Foster's design.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:35 AM

OMG, Fox News effed this up? Oh, sweet irony! The news organization that never tires of fear-mongering that is traced right back to 9/11 has destroyed the main architectural homage to 9/11!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:40 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:

And now this.

Lord Foster is one of my favs in the world of architecture design.
He is the type of individual who takes the time to study his subject matter substantially to offer his vision.
His vision of Tower 2: WTC:

...had been replaced with this:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
He is the type of individual who takes the time to study his subject matter substantially to offer his vision.
His vision of Tower 2: WTC:

Yes, indeed, and his vision of the Kissing Towers for the site was obviously heads and shoulders above what we have. And now even his vision of the Diamonds of Homage for 2 World Trade has been discarded.

Sickening.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:05 AM
Mr. Technology

The problem is that so many of us (Lord Foster fans) fully expected his design to be built.

It was brilliant.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:33 AM

Quote:
The problem is that so many of us (Lord Foster fans) fully expected his design to be built.

It was brilliant.
Yeah, the Kissing Towers should have been built, and now the Diamonds of Homage have been lost as well.

The world is full of greedheads and morons. I'm no Ayn Rand fan, but I've always been partial to the The Fountainhead. It somewhat explains what we are seeing here.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the Kissing Towers should have been built, and now the Diamonds of Homage have been lost as well.

The world is full of greedheads and morons. I'm no Ayn Rand fan, but I've always been partial to the The Fountainhead. It somewhat explains what we are seeing here.
I just hope Lord Foster will get another chance to design a supertall in NYC. He deserves it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 7:21 AM

Quote:

And now this.

It is interesting to see someone go though the same feelings I did, but months later. Don't worry. Eventually you will just stop giving a damn and move on to way better projects in NYC.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:

I still have hopes that Fox News will back out from the deal and this project will end up where it truly belongs - trash can.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:29 PM
Ascension

I'll never understand the love for Foster's tower. Aside from the diamonds, what is there to the tower aside from a large base and a long shaft?

Lol..long shaft.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
I still have hopes that Fox News will back out from the deal and this project will end up where it truly belongs - trash can.
And then wait another 5-10 years for the complex to be complete?

I understand the disappointment in losing Fosters design, but the fact is we ain't getting it. I don't know why anyone would rather have this deal that will finally complete the complex after 14 agonizing, long, years scrapped because of a design change.

I walk by the site every day, and I'm always seeing tourists gazing up in awe of 1WTC and the transit hub. When this is all complete, I think people will have a much better prospective about the finished product.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 6:58 PM

Amen, Jayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
And then wait another 5-10 years for the complex to be complete?

I understand the disappointment in losing Fosters design, but the fact is we ain't getting it. I don't know why anyone would rather have this deal that will finally complete the complex after 14 agonizing, long, years scrapped because of a design change.

I walk by the site every day, and I'm always seeing tourists gazing up in awe of 1WTC and the transit hub. When this is all complete, I think people will have a much better prospective about the finished product.
I agree. Let's get this done already. No design will make everyone happy. Ingel's design is growing on me and I bet it will be gorgeous when finished. Now that you all have vented,it is really time to stop whining about something over which you have absolutely no control.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That east lobby has already been completed. It was supposed to open this summer giving access to the PATH terminal allowing them to close and remove the temporary entrance next door. That didn't happen though and it looks like it won't until next Summer. Who knows if this lobby will ever open now. They'll probably end up wasting millions tearing it out to replace it with some garish mess from Ingles.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

His vision of Tower 2:
Couldn't get leased, and will therefore remain unbuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
They shouldn't even call it the World Trade Center anymore.

With tenants like NewsCorp, Conde Nast, GroupM, etc., it should be called the World Media Center or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
#2 is OK as long as they give up that tacky, scrolling crap on offsets.
As accurately noted by the poster above, New York City is a media capital, and the World Trade Center is fast becoming a complex that reflects that. The digital scrolling may be tacky for other cities, but for New York it is hardly that. Better that the new WTC reflect what it currently is and the new Downtown. I surely hope they can keep that design element.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction