HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:57 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Finally some good news.....

Delta keeping Austin and RDU as their only focus cities in network.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/statu...152278531?s=20

Also they are spooling things back up at AUS. Yesterday 3/2 they had 23 flights.

ATL 6x A321
JFK 2x BCS1
DTW 1x BCS3, 1x BCS1, 1x E75S
MSP 2x BCS1, 1x E170
SLC 1x A320, 1X BCS3, 1x BCS1
LAX 1x B738, 2x A319
BOS 1x BCS1
SEA 1x BCS1
RDU 1x E75S

This should bode well for the chances of KLM launching AMS service in the future.
Yes. This should bode well for (and speak to the confidence of) AUS. Considering most airlines are moving toward a more hub-and-spoke system to get them through the recovery - having Delta maintain AUS' label of Focus City is big news. It also seems to confirm the rumors of their AUS pre-COVID plans for AUS. And those plans may still be in place - just with a slightly altered timeline.

I'm still seeing "sometime in 2023" for a possible industry-wide recovery. When I speak of "recovery," I'm speaking about a return to pre-COVID numbers on a consistent basis. Certain areas of the world will recover quicker than others.

Interesting note, JAL is restarting their NRT-SAN route this week. There is hope that we'll see more non-hub international routes reestablished sooner rather than later.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Mar 4, 2021 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:38 PM

Alaska new n/s service to Boise. This will be the first n/s between the two cities!

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-...tes#assets_all

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:15 PM

AA announces ten new flights from ABIA:

Quote:
American Airlines: Huge Expansion In Austin With 10 New Routes
by Gary Leff on March 11, 2021

American Airlines is launching 7 new year-round routes out of Austin and 3 seasonal routes. American is the second largest carrier at the Austin airport, behind Southwest, and historically it has produced some of their highest non-hub yields. With these additions, together with their partners they’ll service 26 destinations from Austin.

Year-round: Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa and Washington-Dulles.

Saturday seasonal: Aspen (June 5 – September 4), Los Cabos and Destin-Fort Walton Beach (both June 5 – August 14).
https://viewfromthewing.com/american...10-new-routes/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:13 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^AA is making a move against Delta. They know that Delta is not going to remain #3 at ABIA for too long. And, AA defiantly knows how involved Delta may be in ABIA's expansion.

In any case - this is great news!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Finally some good news.....

Delta keeping Austin and RDU as their only focus cities in network.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/statu...152278531?s=20

Also they are spooling things back up at AUS. Yesterday 3/2 they had 23 flights.

ATL 6x A321
JFK 2x BCS1
DTW 1x BCS3, 1x BCS1, 1x E75S
MSP 2x BCS1, 1x E170
SLC 1x A320, 1X BCS3, 1x BCS1
LAX 1x B738, 2x A319
BOS 1x BCS1
SEA 1x BCS1
RDU 1x E75S

This should bode well for the chances of KLM launching AMS service in the future.
While new airline routes to Austin are good news for Austin's continued growth and development as a city and destination -- I have quite enjoyed the decrease in air traffic noise over my home in the last year.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:37 PM

Looks like Oracle's HQ move is having an effect on air service after all!

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...3/default.aspx

“Austin is a vibrant technology hub where companies like Oracle are growing, investing and innovating for the future,” said Rita Visser, Director of Global Travel Sourcing, Oracle. “We look forward to relying on American Airlines’ additional routes to support not just employees traveling to our new Austin headquarters, but also our customers and partners who are building their businesses with Oracle Cloud.”

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:00 PM

Those AA cities are interesting to me -- Raleigh and Dulles and maybe Tampa seem business related, but the rest are clearly for leisure travel. Seems pretty clear where AA thinks its recovery will come from.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:

“Austin is a vibrant technology hub where companies like Oracle are growing, investing and innovating for the future,” said Rita Visser, Director of Global Travel Sourcing, Oracle. “We look forward to relying on American Airlines’ additional routes to support not just employees traveling to our new Austin headquarters, but also our customers and partners who are building their businesses with Oracle Cloud.”
Good to see the competition, now all AA needs is an Admirals Club to match the very nice SkyClub! It would be nice to see the expansion that was put on hold resume soon, once the vaccine is nation wide I bet air traffic will have a huge jump. A much needed jump, pilot jobs have been very hard to find in 2020 for me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:

wow that's a lot of new service on OneWorld airlines. I think since AA already has more of a presence at AUS this additional service makes it that much harder for Delta/Skyteam to be successful adding much. Personally I don't care who adds service, just nice to get the extra flights from anyone. Maybe Delta shouldn't have told the world it was keeping a focus city for Austin until it was actually announcing new flights like AA is doing now. Whatever intentions Delta has or had, are that much harder to accomplish it seems like since AA will already had a head start even before this. But what do i know? lol

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:51 PM
ATX USA

Oh yeah...that Admiral's Club at Bergstrom is by far the smallest airport lounge I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an upgrade and expansion.

But the lounge, to me, is not nearly as interesting as these new connections. Several of them are useful to me for personal reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

And a couple of the new stops (Dulles for sure) would give us some new layover options when heading to Europe. Very good news.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post
Oh yeah...that Admiral's Club at Bergstrom is by far the smallest airport lounge I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an upgrade and expansion.

But the lounge, to me, is not nearly as interesting as these new connections. Several of them are useful to me for personal reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

And a couple of the new stops (Dulles for sure) would give us some new layover options when heading to Europe. Very good news.
I in particular am really excited about Nashville, I've only been to the city two times but it was a blast. Good food and good people. I would be more excited if AA decided to be the one to bring us an Asian connection though

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post

If I'm not mistaken airport administration moved to a brand spanking new building adjacent to the parking garage just to make available additional lease space to the airlines.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:43 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I think since AA already has more of a presence at AUS this additional service makes it that much harder for Delta/Skyteam to be successful adding much. Personally I don't care who adds service, just nice to get the extra flights from anyone. Maybe Delta shouldn't have told the world it was keeping a focus city for Austin until it was actually announcing new flights like AA is doing now. Whatever intentions Delta has or had, are that much harder to accomplish it seems like since AA will already had a head start even before this. But what do i know? lol
AA's addition of 10 new flights will have no affect on Delta's future plans for ABIA.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
AA's addition of 10 new flights will have no affect on Delta's future plans for ABIA.
Agree, AA's reputation is absolute garbage.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Agreed. I think AA knows what DL has in store for AUS and this route announcement is trying to get out in front of DL. We should know rather soon what DL's intention are for AUS.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
We should know rather soon what DL's intention are for AUS.

If I had a nickel....

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
If I had a nickel....
AA called their bluff so no more hiding. Now they have to show their cards or fold and go home.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Agree, AA's reputation is absolute garbage.
Totally agree. As someone who flies over 150k miles/yr routinely the WORST part of coming to Austin was sometimes getting stuck w/ AA. When Delta started flying 3x/day JFK-AUS that changed my life.

I grew up flying AA and will now go out of my way to avoid them. Abysmal experience.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:04 PM
World Traveler

I think all American-based airline companies are garbage. Flying elsewhere around the world is luxury by comparison. However, my worst experiences have ironically been on Delta and AA comes second...but it's been a while since I've flown Delta.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:39 PM
Resident Moron

I won't fly American unless there is a 300 dollar price difference. I hate them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin