HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, that's how it started sometime in the early/mid 80s. Looks like they remained friends through the years.

I was surprised to hear that he died, I hadn't even heard that he was ill. The family must have been keeping it private, because it would have been news had it been known that he was sick.
I believe he had Down's syndrome?

The life expectancy of people with the syndrome has increased greatly, but I think it's still 15-20 years less than the rest of the population.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:48 PM
Community Guy

He did indeed have Down syndrome.

The current life expectancy is around 60 years (up from 25yrs but a generation ago).

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:01 PM

^ It never really occurred to me that he was 57... in my mind's eye he was always a young man. It was the same thing with Dale Hawerchuk.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I seem to recall he initially got this gig as he was the brother of Wayne Gretzky's girlfriend at the time?
Wayne Gretzky and Vicky Moss appear on Tommy Banks Live

Vikki Moss Interview - May 30,1985

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:33 PM

Whatever happened to Vickie Moss anyway?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Whatever happened to Vickie Moss anyway?
Master’s Degree in Gerontology from the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology

https://twitter.com/vikkismyth

Stephen Moss, who was four years younger than Joey, (and his legal guardian) preceded Joey in the Oilers' dressing room. Sadly, he died less than a year and a half ago.

Last edited by elly63; Oct 31, 2020 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:59 AM

Lance Stroll with another podium. In the current crop of F1 drivers, he was arguably seen as the worst, but not like how it was 10 plus years ago when there were pay drivers who had no business being on the grid. Afterall, he was the F3 champion.

Couple races ago he took pole and was controlling the race until some minor front wing damage actually damaged his tire and sent him tumbling down the order.

He really turned things around this year and I could see a day where he becomes world champion if the car is the best in the field.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Lance Stroll with another podium. In the current crop of F1 drivers, he was arguably seen as the worst, but not like how it was 10 plus years ago when there were pay drivers who had no business being on the grid. Afterall, he was the F3 champion.
Most F1 fans don't really think Stroll is all that bad - they just complain about his father being rich and giving him a seat. His results over the past four years have more-or-less shown that he's an average F1 driver capable of the occasional podium.

I don't think Stroll ends up as a Driver Champion unless his car is monumentally better than the rest and he ends up better than his teammate. Even if he's an ok F1 driver he's still no better than Perez in the same car.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:16 PM

He was better in some races than Perez but ya, Perez has been the better driver most races this season and almost all before. The reason I say he has a chance at a championship is because if he continues to improve then he can be a Nico Rosberg type driver and one year end up ahead of his more acclaimed teammate (Vettel next year) and get that championship trophy. Would take skill, some smarts and luck.

And I think Vettel doesn't have that edge like he used to even though he's not retirement age like when Schumi came out of retirement and was nowhere near what he was in the past.

Stroll Sr. seems to have the acumen to put together a winning team. As soon as he purchased Force India I said I would not be surprised whatsoever if they became a top 3 team and future championship team. He just gives this aura or a man that has that charm and acumen needed to get things done.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 11:23 PM
ハルウララ

It's possible, but usually the Driver's Champ needs some combination of being in the best car, being the best driver, or being in a fortuitous situation where those two categories are split enough to come up the middle. It's possible for Stroll to be a WDC but for that to happen has probably has to be in the best car by a mile.

I consider this something similar to when Button won WDC with Brawn - they had far and away the best car for the first half of the season but then only barely scraped by to win outright. Button had seven podiums (and six wins!) in the first seven races on 2009 but then only podium'd twice in the last ten races (and didn't win). His teammate (Barichello) only managed to win twice that year because Rubens was the classic example of a No.2 teammate. Button was nowhere near being the best driver on the grid but was good enough to grab points when able to. Stroll has some semblance of that.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:35 PM
ハルウララ

Alphonso Davies and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif are co-Lou Marsh Award winners. Vote was 18-18-1. Third tie in its 82 year history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5832812

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

LDT is also a Sports Illustrated sportsperson of the year. One of 5 I think.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:08 AM
ハルウララ

Adding this here because I think it has potential relevance to Canada down the road:

https://frontofficesports.com/cricke...inent-backers/

Cricket Looks to Make U.S. Breakthrough With Prominent Backers

"Major League Cricket, the first-ever professional cricket league in the U.S., is slated to begin in 2022 with the backing of a significant number of investors who see plenty of opportunity for the sport to grow amid changing demographics.

And with cricket expected to be a part of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics, investors are seeing the trajectory that could come with it.

“If cricket gets into the Olympics then you are fast tracking the growth of the sport in the country,” said Suri."

--

Women's cricket has been included in the list of sports for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, the first time cricket has appeared as a sport in that event since 1998 (the only time it was included). Cricket organizers are hoping it proves to be supportive of adding cricket to the slate for 2028 LA. In 1998 the format used was 50 Overs, whereas the women's tournament in 2022 will be T20.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:16 AM

Watching highlights from domestic leagues like Indian PL, Aussie Big Bash and English T20 Blast is exciting for a cricket fan like me that is not hardcore but definitely more than casual. They get some really good crowds for that most exciting form of the game (20 over). If that could eventually reach here and have crowds just 1/10 of those leagues mentioned above then I'd be happy.

Although T20 is the shortest format of the game (for now), they still need to streamline it because there are some unbearably long moments between the action. And they'd have to get a fun atmosphere going in the stands. Whatever it takes. Well not $1 beers but they would really have to focus on creating an atmosphere from the real cricket fans to pique the interest of curious sports fans in general. Although really they'd have to focus on places with meaningful South Asian populations.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:27 PM

Didn't someone create a significant cricket league involving Canadian teams not that long ago?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:28 PM

There was a tournament held two years in a row and last year would have been the third. That was an Indian media company that was trying to grow the game here. Six teams named after cities but tournament took place at one venue. They had some well known players too like the #1 batsman Steve Smith and perhaps the most entertaining batsman ever, Chris Gayle. But that thing has lost millions and the Indian company behind it knew it would, but had some long term goal in mind.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:00 PM

The Rod Pedersen Show on Game+ Network is moving to two hours a day. For those who are unfamiilar, Rod Pedersen runs a sports talk show out of Regina and the focus tends to be on sports popular on the prairies. So lots of NHL chatter but also a lot of CFL, junior hockey, NLL, curling and such alongside the more common NFL, MLB and NBA discussion.

RP was a play by play man for many years in the WHL and CFL, he's a pretty good broadcaster. You can also see the show online at www.rodpedersen.com .

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
The Rod Pedersen Show on Game+ Network is moving to two hours a day. For those who are unfamiilar, Rod Pedersen runs a sports talk show out of Regina and the focus tends to be on sports popular on the prairies. So lots of NHL chatter but also a lot of CFL, junior hockey, NLL, curling and such alongside the more common NFL, MLB and NBA discussion.

RP was a play by play man for many years in the WHL and CFL, he's a pretty good broadcaster. You can also see the show online at www.rodpedersen.com .
Rod is a buddy of mine. So great to see a successful sports show from outside of Toronto who looks at Canadian sports (CFL, Junior Hockey, USports) without the dismissive attitude that comes from the Big Smoke!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Rod is a buddy of mine. So great to see a successful sports show from outside of Toronto who looks at Canadian sports (CFL, Junior Hockey, USports) without the dismissive attitude that comes from the Big Smoke!
Really? That's cool! I always liked him, he seems like a great guy personally.

For many years Rod Pedersen was basically a blogger to me since his talk show was only broadcast on local Regina radio, but lately I've become a listener/watcher. Not on a daily basis, but if I'm doing yard work or something I'll download the podcast and listen while I work outside, etc.

He's a bit more relevant to people out here than shows like Tim & Sid or whatever. And he's generally a really good broadcaster, I find him entertaining but not in a grating or over the top kind of way.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
He's a bit more relevant to people out here than shows like Tim & Sid or whatever. And he's generally a really good broadcaster, I find him entertaining but not in a grating or over the top kind of way.
Can't say I hold him in as high a respect as you or others do here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada