HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Sackville Co-op store will be rebranded by Sobeys as a Foodland store.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
from CBC:

Mount Allison University sports field to get $1.5M upgrade
The field will now be able to be used for almost the entire year
The Canadian Press Posted: May 10, 2015 9:11 AM AT
Last Updated: May 10, 2015 9:12 AM AT

Athletes at Mount Allison University in Sackville will have a new field to play on in the next school year.

University officials say $1.5-million will be spent to upgrade its athletics field.

The university says work on the artificial turf field will begin this summer.

It says the upgrade will mean the field can be used for almost the entire year, compared to the four months it's currently in use.

Personal note - It's about bloody time!! The football Mounties are the university's team, and have been one of the top college football teams in the country for the last couple of years. If the university wants to be serious about supporting the team in the long term, then this is an investment that they had to make. The Mounties will now suddenly have the type of facilities that most high schools in the region already have. Now, if only the university could get the funding for some proper bleachers too..... :roll eyes:

EDIT - On doing some further research, apparently this project will be 100% funded through an alumni campaign, awesome!!!
Further to the above:

Quote:
The project, which will see the field converted to artificial turf, also includes the installation of new goalposts, new players’ benches, new stands and a new scoreboard.

Inglis said fundraising has been successful so far, with the majority of the project being financed through alumni donations.
The above snippet is from the Sackville Tribune Post. I wonder what they mean by "new stands". I'm sure whatever is proposed won't be too grandiose, but almost anything would be an improvement over what they have now.......

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 10:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was in Sackville today and grabbed a couple of pictures of the new athletic field at Mount Allison University:

What a huge change from what they had before!!!

They were busy applying a "Flying A" to the midfield today. There will be "Mount Allison" lettering applied to both end zones as well........

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo from CBC showing the completed football field at Mount Allison.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:00 PM

ToriWeldonCBC ‏@VictoriaEWeldon · 45 minutes ago
Former Sackville United Church, in the centre of the town is being demolished

ToriWeldonCBC ‏@VictoriaEWeldon · 44 minutes ago
135 year-old former Sackville United Church is being demolished today.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:04 PM

Nothing lasts forever.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to CBC, construction of a new apartment building on the site of the former United Church will begin this fall.

No doubt this will be another four storey off campus student type housing structure (which by definition means it will have no architectural merit).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few pictures from around Bagtown (I mean Sackville) from today.

The Bridge Street reconstruction continues. I believe it was supposed to be finished by now, but there have obviously been some unforeseen delays. The below ground infrastructure is complete, and the sidewalks and curbs have been done but the road surface still needs to be completed as well as the decorative street lighting and the landscaping. I think it'll be a race to see this all done before winter sets in.

Joey's Pizza has been refurbished, and they have expanded next door with a sister business (a pub and grill) which is named the Split Crow. I wonder if this is associated in any way with the Split Crow in Halifax? I assume so. The two businesses together are called Joe and the Crow which I kinda like. The building facade looks really good.

This is where Sackville United Church used to stand. The lot has been cleaned and levelled. The rumour is that another four storey apartment building is to be built here. I wonder if it will be a clone of the building in the background? I have a hunch it will be as I think it is the same developer, and since the building is within spitting distance of the Bridge Street/Main Street intersection, I'm sure they would like to have the option of ground floor retail or office space.

Overall, some fairly big changes for downtown Sackville........

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A few pictures from around Bagtown (I mean Sackville) from today.

The Bridge Street reconstruction continues. I believe it was supposed to be finished by now, but there have obviously been some unforeseen delays. The below ground infrastructure is complete, and the sidewalks and curbs have been done but the road surface still needs to be completed as well as the decorative street lighting and the landscaping. I think it'll be a race to see this all done before winter sets in.

Joey's Pizza has been refurbished, and they have expanded next door with a sister business (a pub and grill) which is named the Split Crow. I wonder if this is associated in any way with the Split Crow in Halifax? I assume so. The two businesses together are called Joe and the Crow which I kinda like. The building facade looks really good.

This is where Sackville United Church used to stand. The lot has been cleaned and levelled. The rumour is that another four storey apartment building is to be built here. I wonder if it will be a clone of the building in the background? I have a hunch it will be as I think it is the same developer, and since the building is within spitting distance of the Bridge Street/Main Street intersection, I'm sure they would like to have the option of ground floor retail or office space.

Overall, some fairly big changes for downtown Sackville........
Seen a couple of business's on Bridge Street for sale, and wondering if it will change the face of Bridge Street or nah.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the Sackville Tribune Post:

SACKVILLE, N.B. – After a four-month shutdown, a newly-renovated Bridge Street is expected to reopen early next week.

The major reconstruction project in Sackville’s downtown business district is nearing completion and town engineer Dwayne Acton anticipates that the section of Bridge Street that has been closed since late June will open back up to traffic by Monday or Tuesday.

“We should be in good shape by the first of the week to open the street,” said Acton during town council’s monthly meeting Tuesday evening.

Bridge Street, from Main Street to Lorne Street, was gutted and rebuilt over the summer as part of a $1-million makeover project. Originally anticipated to take eight to 10 weeks, the project ran into several delays related to weather, the underground utilities work and the electrical upgrades.

Acton said a few last-minute items remain to be completed over the next couple of days, including installation of a final concrete bollard and the decorative street lighting, as well as placing of the new garbage receptacles, bike racks and street furniture.

The street was paved over the Thanksgiving weekend, said Acton, and a final coat is expected to be put down on Friday, weather dependent. On Monday, the lines will be painted for the parking spaces with the street to be opened up soon after.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 12:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sackville Update:

I was down in Sackville today attending the Mounties football game (they pasted Saint Mary's 36-6), and updated a couple of current projects:

They have already started construction on the new building at the site of the former Sackville United Church. As previously stated, I have a strong suspicion that it will be a clone of the existing commercial/apartment building in the background.

The Bridge Street reconstruction project is complete. I'm sure the store owners are all most pleased. The ducks painted on the crosswalk are a particularly nice touch.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 11:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see there's some talk in Sackville about winter driving conditions on the Tantramar Marshes. Apparently, the NS and NB Departments of Highways have been talking about cooperating on road closures in this area. They may be installing a large informational sign on the TCH at Sackville (similar to the signs on either side of the Cobequid Pass in NS). Presumably there would be a similar sign in Amherst. In addition, there is some talk about installing removable barriers at the entrance ramps onto the TCH from Sackville to prevent cars from getting on to the TCH when conditions are too bad for road travel.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:27 AM

There is already a sign installed on the Sackville end.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
There is already a sign installed on the Sackville end.
And apparently the barriers on the east bound on ramps to the TCH at Sackville are now installed as well. I guess there are barriers installed at the on ramps in Aulac too.

This is a first for the region.........

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting (and recent) aerial photograph of the Mount Allison University campus.

source - MTA website

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 8:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Mount Allisom University is planning on moving forward with phase two of the upgrades to Alumni Field. This will include permanent bleachers for about 850 people, a press box, new player benches and a new scoreboard. This will cost about $500,000, and with the new artificial turf field installed last year, will constitute an overall investment of over $2M by the university alumni association.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is a sketch of a statue to be installed at the corner of Bridge and Weldon Streets in Sackville as the finishing touch of the Bridge Street reconstruction project. Insyallation will be this spring and will coincide with the grand opening of the project.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 7:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a neat portal for prospective students at MTA with lots of photos and tours of the campus and also the town of Sackville too, including the downtown and the waterfowl park. It's rather neat.......

http://www.mta.ca/visit/

Just click on "launch virtual tour"

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 2:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The town of Sackville has revamped their website. It looks quite professional.......

http://www.sackville.com

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 3:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Big Stop in Aulac is being completely redone. Here's a render of the final product......

Source: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6a&oe=57BE2C46

And no, I have no idea why that car is sporting a European plate.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces