HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:26 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

This says Toronto completed 15000 condos in the last few years, and expects 25000 completions in 2019 (with additional rental completions?)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...her-this-year/

I imagine that the wood frame midrise construction that dominates us multifamily takes less time to build than a 20 story glass condo with balconies . This could be why completions look small for the gta relative to units under construction ?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:52 AM

Courtesy of this thread, I just learned that the tallest building under construction in America right now is being built in Brooklyn.

Edit: I was wrong.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jan 14, 2020 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If only Miami would get that one super tall already.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Posted this over in the Chicago thread like a week or so ago before this thread. Figure its relevant.

= = = = =

Construction/topped out ***Does not include everything, u/c below certain height range

Proposed:

Top 10 Tallest (Chicago seems to be killing it in the sub 300m or 200-270m category).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just for those interested in NYC. Due to size, click the show below, because it literally is a "show".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:59 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Courtesy of this thread, I just learned that the tallest building under construction in America right now is being built in Brooklyn.
Huh?

Central Park Tower is America's tallest U/C tower at the moment, and it's in Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:31 AM

Toronto will eventually take over Chicago in the highrise tower numbers in all categories just as it will in populationn. With Toronto growing at a dizzying pace and Chicago continuing to shed people Toronto surpassing of Chicago is inevitable.

That however doesn't mean Toronto will every overtake Chicago in the skyline department as number of high rises and great skylines are not the same thing. Seattle has far fewer high rises than Vancouver but blows Vancouver's skyline out of the water. I love the Chicago skyline but Toronto's is just not in it's category...……..it's big but not unique with the obvious exception of the CN Tower which is beautiful and striking piece of architecture. The CN Tower takes the Toronto skyline from good to great but still not even in Chicago's {or New York's} league and it never will be.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Because that's literally the opposite premise of the article and what you're arguing. The article is inaccurate. That's my only point.

Are you just arguing that the gap between Chicago and Toronto is shrinking? That sounds reasonable. But it's highly unlikely that Toronto will have a comparable skyline as Chicago anytime soon. It would take many decades of disparate growth. Chicago has many more buildings, and many taller buildings.

In terms of skyline-changers, Chicago has the bigger skyline-changer of the two right now with Vista. And it isn't close. After that, both have a ton of decent sized glassy towers going up, almost certainly more in Toronto, especially as you expand your height criteria. But it would probably take like 40 years of disparate growth to completely close the gap. I don't think Toronto will be #2 in North America, at least not in any of our lifetimes.
I agree, and what is missing in the proposed category is that there is no way of determining how many skyscrapers of 150 meters will be built in Chicago if the more than six Mega-developments come to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Park Tower Condos - 156.3m/513 ft. - 1973:
~7 miles north of the loop

source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...dominiums/3569

off-topic aside: my parents live in the 2nd one.
I've always loved that one. Your parents chose well. Btw, Edmonton is in the 800 foot club as well. It's home to the tallest building in Canada (Stantec is 823 feet) outside Toronto.

Edmonton, Alberta

Courtesy of the Star

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:38 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Huh?

Central Park Tower is America's tallest U/C tower at the moment, and it's in Manhattan.
Technically Those are topped out

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Huh?

It's partially occupied and open, though. The lower part of the building has been open for months, so not sure it still counts as U/C.

9 DeKalb is probably the tallest building in North America under construction and not topped out.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Toronto will eventually take over Chicago in the highrise tower numbers in all categories just as it will in populationn. With Toronto growing at a dizzying pace and Chicago continuing to shed people Toronto surpassing of Chicago is inevitable.
I don't think any of this is remotely inevitable. I doubt any of this happens in our lifetimes.

Again, the tallest building in Toronto would be the 8th tallest building in Chicago. You really think Toronto will build 10 supertalls before Chicago builds 1?

Also, Chicago's population is stagnant, not declining. Even assuming it remains stagnant forever (a dubious proposition) it would still take decades of nonstop booming growth for Toronto to match Chicago's population.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i guess the commonwealth (in the way we use the term on here if not the historical definition) has fewer cities (per country) and they are all therefore much higher profile places to the national consciousness. in the u.s. 3-4 million metros get half-neglected by their own states. st. louis for instance gets no transit funding from the state.

this is sort of what i was getting at and and is admittedly a sidebar to the skyscraper talk.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:49 PM
video et taceo

Toronto's timidity at the high end, and Chicago's boldness, is more interesting than the stats. It's also the key factor in this over the short- to mid-term.

Now, Chicago is one of the great skyscraper cities of history. Maybe it's THE great one given New York's fussy setbacks and its own inimitable procession of stark '70s giants.

But Toronto raised the CN Tower (I know, not a skyscraper... but you look at Toronto and there it is, so...) when it was a small metro of maybe 2.5 million (between Pittsburgh and Boston, it looks like), as well as the world's tallest outside New York and Chicago. So there was an appetite there, maybe even one larger than it has now despite its growth finally rising to meet its ambitions.

At the top end, it becomes about will. Both cities could go into the stratosphere on the right combination of ego, design and localized demand. But Chicago looks more willing to floor it. Bigger shoulders, maybe. Or balls.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:16 PM

having extensive, big boy commuter rail lines seem to be real skyscraper fuel for both toronto and chicago. local mass transit is great and essential for cities but these colossal CBD/centralized skyscraper clusters need suburban-fuel. metra seems to have been the real supercharger to keep downtown chicago in the game...i think without it you would have had a half-detroit situation downtown.

hidefninja.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:48 PM
video et taceo

That's interesting. It makes sense, particularly for those large-floorplate '70s behemoths.

Seems like Metra destroys GO.

The Stockholm Pendeltåg actually pretty much destroys GO too, so this 1927 proposal should come back. Not to Nybrokajen, that's crazy, but up there at the edge of Vasastan with the new guys.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:51 PM

metra is a colossus. i've taken it from out where the corn sways just for fun. feels like it reaches halfway across illinois.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:02 PM
video et taceo

"See all those train lines, Homer? That's why your skyline never worked."

(never gets old*)

(*to me)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:07 PM

Metra system is vast, but the bulk of ridership is on a few lines. GO coverage is kinda pathetic, but has strong ridership. They're probably functionally more similar than different now.

And you could probably make the same observations about Chicago El and Toronto subway.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:13 PM
video et taceo

The "L" is better, but the Toronto subway is at least building 39 new stations, bringing the comparison from 75/145 to 114/145. Toronto has terrible crowding issues but killer frequency, as well (less urine too).

On the skyline, though, I still feel like we're minimizing the top-end difference here.

You know I hate to say it, TO, but there are real... girth issues here.

Without the CN, honestly, we wouldn't be having this little chat. Not yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions