HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:53 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:00 AM

Give it 10-20 years and we're going to see double that in the 1st round! Let's hope.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:02 AM

Conflicting reports. Some say it's like 1.2 million while others say it's 2 million.

A professor at ASU, who is a "crowd size expert" says 2 million is an overestimate. May very well be true, but regardless, it was impressive and something I have never experienced before. Good times.

Quote:
It was predicted that around 2 million people would come out to watch the Raptors parade in Toronto on Monday, but city officials say the number is likely higher.

Toronto’s chief communications officer Brad Ross told Global News that the earlier estimate of a couple million now represents the “lower end” of overall crowd estimates.

The Greater Toronto Area has a population of just over 5.9 million, meaning if 2 million people did attend the parade, that would be nearly 34 per cent of GTA residents.

READ MORE: Millions of fans flood downtown Toronto for Raptors victory parade

Parade estimates don’t include the head count of people watching from office buildings.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:08 AM

So in the past three days Kawhi goes to Niagara Falls, eats dinner at Cactus Club in the CBD with former Raptor and local kid and ex-teammate and NBA champion with the Spurs, Corey Joseph, buys some boxes at Home Depot and takes in a Jays game.

Basically he's full on Toronto guy now. Fully expect him to hit up the cottage this weekend in Muskoka, and, of course, get stuck in traffic on the 400 on the way.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:06 AM
The New Republic

It was a noteworthy day in Canadian sports. The 2019 NBA Draft pointed to the continued rise of Canadian basketball. The previous high water mark was 4 Canadians drafted in the same year. This draft saw 6 Canadians get drafted, a record number for a country other than the United States. There are now 19 Canadians in the NBA, also a record for a country other than the United States.

A surprise was Lugentz Dort going undrafted and Ignas Brazdeikis getting drafted. After a poor showing by Michigan in the NCAA Tournament I assumed interest in him would evaporate. Brandon Clarke will get traded to the Memphis Grizzlies.

3. RJ Barrett, New York Knicks
17. Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Brooklyn Nets
21. Brandon Clarke, Oklahoma City Thunder
27. Mfiondu Kabengele, Brooklyn Nets

47. Ignas Brazdeikis, Sacramento Kings
54. Marial Shayok, Philadelphia 76eers

1st Round
2nd Round

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:08 AM

I thought the last couple of years Dort was rated higher than basically everyone other than RJ. So that is surprising. Let's hope he has a Steady Freddy kind of story.

Iggy and Mutombo's nephew are from Oakville and Burlington respectively. I have been playing pickup on and off the past few years at Brant, Haber and YMCA. Sometimes when our 1.5 hour time slot was up I'd see serious local youth teams arrive and watch them warm up and I gotta say, I didn't think the level of talent was very good, which I expected. What I didn't expect was to see two Halton Region guys get drafted! Though it's easier when you're tall and your family has basketball heritage.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:09 AM

Attributes are kind of off but this is a fun t-shirt anyway.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
So in the past three days Kawhi goes to Niagara Falls, eats dinner at Cactus Club in the CBD with former Raptor and local kid and ex-teammate and NBA champion with the Spurs, Corey Joseph, buys some boxes at Home Depot and takes in a Jays game.
Cactus Club or Kawactus Club.........

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Cactus Club or Kawactus Club.........
No doubt. That’s what it will be known as for now on.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:13 PM

It looks like he went there on purpose or something. I mean, out of 100’s bars and clubs in Toronto he picks this one? He is fully aware of that Kawactus thing. Unless this is the de facto place to go for famous people, similar to Times Supper Club in Montreal, and the name has nothing to do with it?

Edit: I just checked and it appears to be a Canadian chain, nothing fancy about it.

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

R.J. Barrett speaks French! Just saw him clipped on RDI.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's quite odd. He has way more court presence and leadership than Wiggins. He almost certainly will be a better player IMO. This just adds to his impressive set of skills.

I think he will be a multiple time all star. I don't even like watching his play but I appreciate what he brings to the court and his potential upside.

He could be an important part of a championship team. Volume scorers or one dimensional all stars can only take you so far. You need that extra piece of an all star caliber player who has leadership skills. RJ could very well be one of those. I mean, his dad is GM of Canada Basketball so that must have rubbed off.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:56 PM

I think that's a cool piece of info about Canada's best draftee. I had no idea either.

Really hoping that Barrett can step up where Wiggins and Bennet faltered. He has a chance to be a legend in NYC if he has the drive to keep improving his game and can help lead them to a championship. Unfortunately it's the Knicks and I'm praying the terrible management doesn't hamstring his early development.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:15 PM

Last edited by elly63; Jun 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lived in France as a child and attended a French language senior public school in Ontario.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:44 PM

Where RJ Barrett’s love of Knicks first came from
Steve Serby New York Post June 21, 2019

These stories don’t get much better than this: The late maternal grandfather came from Jamaica to Brooklyn and cheered for Patrick Ewing and … well let his son-in-law tell it.

“I used to sit and watch the Knick games every time I went over, especially when I was courting my wife,” Rowan Barrett told The Post after his son and Noel Duhaney’s grandson, RJ Barrett, was selected by the Knicks with the No. 3 pick in the NBA draft Thursday night at Barclays Center. “He was obviously of Jamaican descent and he loved Patrick Ewing: That was the only team in the universe that existed to him, right? And so this was his team, and he would tell RJ, ‘One day you can play for this team.’ Like he’s trying to help him have dreams — right? — as a young guy.… And wow, look at it today, he knows, he’s very well aware this was grandpa’s team.”

So grandpa’s team becomes RJ’s team, and if father knows best, the Knicks knocked it out of the park. Rowan Barrett was asked what he would tell fans about his 19-year-old son, who was 3 months old when the Knicks traded a 38-year-old Ewing to Seattle.

“That he’s tough … and then he’s a competitor,” Rowan said. “But also that he’s young. … I think he plays to win, and I’ve never seen a time where he’s had trouble in a locker room. He’s been a leader in almost every environment he’s been in. Obviously now he’s gonna be playing with men, right? And now you’re gonna have to figure it out, he’s starting from the bottom, he’s starting from nothing, and all that other stuff he did really doesn’t matter now. You’re now coming into a league to a team with men, and how are you gonna gain their trust? But as I said, he’s got a competitive spirit, he loves to win.”

His son, a silky smooth 6-foot-7 athlete, loves the bright lights and the big stage, just as Rowan Barrett, now general manager of the Canadian men’s national team, did when he left Canada to play for St. John’s.

“That’s the reason I chose New York initially,” Rowan said. “I was coming from Canada, and we didn’t really know much at the time, and we thought, ‘OK, if you can perform here, you can perform anywhere.’ We didn’t really understand much about the States, so we said, ‘OK, it’s most difficult there, let’s go there.’

“He has a little bit of that in him. He thrives on challenges, it’s kinda his thing because he’s so competitive. This will be a gargantuan challenge, New York City. But I like the fact that he wants to swing for the fences. Let’s see where the chips fall. If he succeeds here, it’s gonna be because who he is and how he works. And if he doesn’t, it’s not gonna be because of any lack of trying or anything mentally or anything like that.”

Rowan, a 6-6 guard/forward, never made the NBA, but played all across Europe. It helps explain RJ’s maturity.

“I think that our lives helped to bring that along,” Rowan said. “We lived in many different countries. He’s gotten to see all types of people and to walk in all types of cultures. He speaks more than one language.… He didn’t start going to school in English until the ninth grade, for example. He’s made friends with all types of people, all races — it’s all the same to him. I think that helps you to be a little more worldly.“And then secondly, we did things to prepare him. When he said that this what he wanted to do,” Rowan said, and smiled. “I had him in front of the television with a fork in the family room and my wife and I were drilling him with questions: ‘Can you tell me about the loss tonight? Can you tell me why the team lost? Why didn’t you help the team?’ Pushing it out of him, and helping to figure out how to compose himself.”

Of course there were hiccups. RJ cried himself to sleep homesick on occasion when he chased that NBA dream at Montverde Academy in Florida.

“You’re 15 years old and you leave home,” Rowan said. “His mother was injured at the time with her knee, so she couldn’t come down. Just imagine not seeing your mother from September till February in a boarding school. But he had his goals, he had his dream, and he’s going after it.”

And nothing and no one was about to shatter it. RJ is as mentally tough as they come.

“We put him through a lot,” Rowan said. “I sought out the most difficult coaches to coach him. When he was 12, I almost pulled him from a team because the coach wouldn’t yell at him, out of respect for me. I said, ‘I brought him here for this reason. Get after him!’ He said, ‘Well, are you sure? Maybe I gotta build a relationship.’ I said, ‘What relationship? He’s 12, tell him what to do, he’s gonna do it.’ ”

And RJ did it. When the boy was asked what he admired most about his father, RJ said: “Work ethic. My dad’s a very hard-working man. More than anybody will ever know.”

It was an emotional day, tears of joy for Noel Duhaney’s grandson. Somewhere up there, grandpa is smiling.

“That was one of the reasons why I was crying, because we used to watch the Knicks growing up and he would always tell me I was going to be a Knick,” RJ said in the interview room. “I’m sad he can’t be here to see it. But I’m just very happy, man.”

The Knicks should be too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:59 PM

Knicks move up in NBA draft to pick Michigan’s Ignas Brazdeikis
Marc Berman New York Post June 21, 2019

The Knicks made a draft-night trade and moved up in the second round, but it was not to unload Frank Ntilikina.

The Knicks swapped picks for cash considerations with Sacramento, moving from 55 to 47 to select Michigan lefty swingman Ignas Brazdeikis.

Brazdeikis was born in Lithuania but grew up in Canada, meaning the Knicks selected two Canadian lefty swingmen Thursday after grabbing RJ Barrett at No. 3.

Brazdeikis was one-and-done at Michigan, started all 37 games, shot 39.2 percent from 3-point range and averaged a team-high 14.8 points — the first Michigan freshman to lead the team in scoring since ex-Knick Trey Burke in 2011-12.

Defense isn’t his strong suit, but he projects as a nice bench scorer.

“He’s a hard-nosed, tough guy who drives fearlessly, can make a jumper but a little undersized for a 4,’’ NBA consultant to basketball operations Chris Ekstrand said. “He’ll be combo forward, and it will depend on matchups.”

The Knicks felt strongly enough about his ability to transform his solid college game at a big program to move up eight notches — unless they were moving up to take the sliding Bol Bol. Entering the night as a lottery-pick possibility, the injured Oregon big man fell to 44, where Miami took him; the Heat then traded Manute Bol’s son to Denver.

“I think definitely that I’ve been able to prove I’m a perimeter player, that I can play the 3 (small-forward position) in the NBA and that I’m showing a lot of skills that I have that I feel like I haven’t gotten the chance to show at Michigan this year,” Brazdeikis told the Detroit Free Press on Tuesday. “So playing in front of these teams and then these small individual workouts, I was able to show off my perimeter skills and my ability to dribble the ball and just making plays. And then defensively, my versatility to defend multiple positions, whether it’s bigger guys, smaller guys.”

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:53 PM

We will be seeing more and more Canadian's drafted each year going forward.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 10:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lindell Wiggington, a native of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, after going unselected in the NBA draft, has been signed by the Toronto Raptors.

Exciting times for young Lindell, especially after being passed over in the draft.

He is currently a sophomore at Iowa State University.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

Basically he's full on Toronto guy now. Fully expect him to hit up the cottage this weekend in Muskoka, and, of course, get stuck in traffic on the 400 on the way.
Not for long. I hear they will be expanding the 400 with a special Kawhi-only lane. Only vehicles containing Kawhi may use it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada