HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Do you mean nearly finished with only the first phase? Because the second phase (which destroys the old airport entirely and adds on the second half of the main concourse) isn't supposed to be completed until 2024/25
Yes, the first phase, obviously. It's clear from the article they were not referring to the unstarted second phase, because they said they were too far along to stop now (with the first phase) and they also said they might have to delay the second phase.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruefenac View Post
I'm curious if anyone knows what the passenger boarding bridge elevator is for. It was mentioned that the first one was installed at the beginning of April in the construction updates section of the airport website. And they have a picture of it there as well.

Maybe its mostly for transporting carry on luggage that gets checked at the gate and then put in the cargo hold of the aircraft is my guess (and maybe that answers the question)?
You are correct. It is for the carry on luggage that is gate checked.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 2:56 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quick question. I know that phase 1 of the airport will be opening in September, but I'm wondering about all the restaurants and retail stores that are supposed to be going in. Do those companies pay for the construction of the shops in the airport? And by "construction" I mean the cosmetics. I know that the guts of it have already been built and installed. If they DO pay for it, do you think any of them will back out because of this pandemic?

I don't know how any of this works, and I'm just curious.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Quick question. I know that phase 1 of the airport will be opening in September, but I'm wondering about all the restaurants and retail stores that are supposed to be going in. Do those companies pay for the construction of the shops in the airport? And by "construction" I mean the cosmetics. I know that the guts of it have already been built and installed. If they DO pay for it, do you think any of them will back out because of this pandemic?

Yes, they pay to build out their own shops. I doubt any drop out as I’d imagine they already had finalized loans to cover constructions costs and it seems like a great location with a captive customer base.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 7:22 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post

I have some inside knowledge of how the airport concessions work because my bar was approached to be part of the new airport bid. Basically, there are large companies that op food and beverage in airports. Those companies find and sign local talent and build a proposal based on a portfolio of different brands that they've made agreements with. Those agreements look different from case to case but mostly they look like you get a small percent of profit for leasing your brand to the company that runs the airport operations. So it's not like the folks at White Horse are running a second location at the airport. They simply lend their brand and concept to a company who runs all the food and beverage for the entire airport.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 9:39 PM
One Thing At A Time

Art is going up. Getting really close!

https://twitter.com/slcairport/statu...637094921?s=20

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:45 PM

SLC is planning to change their expansion plans: Thanks to COVID, they're going to tear down the old concourses all at once, instead of a phased approach, allowing them to complete the expansion 2 years early and save approx $300 million.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...may-help-salt/

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
SLC is planning to change their expansion plans: Thanks to COVID, they're going to tear down the old concourses all at once, instead of a phased approach, allowing them to complete the expansion 2 years early and save approx $300 million.

I call that a silver lining!

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:43 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:

Some great progress pics in that article.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:44 AM

airport reconstruct

they are walling off the D concurse and moving the present customs corridor.will start digging up ramp areas on west side for the big central tunnel.115 days to sept 15 open day.will have a lot more hard standing ramp ops from them on.will be no hertz rental car ops.company going bankrupt.no mcdonalds there after sept 15 and nothing about a 24 food facility yet.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:

Great! Now put that extra 300 Million into Hatman's Rio Grande Depot/Salt Lake Central intermodal hub plan now! Here's that plan:

Do it!

Last edited by Old&New; May 25, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:54 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Great! Now put that extra 300 Million into Hatman's Rio Grande Depot/Salt Lake Central intermodal hub plan now! Here's that plan:

Do it!

Haha yes! This or double-tracking the FrontRunner at the very least!

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Haha yes! This or double-tracking the FrontRunner at the very least!
Why not both...

Honestly, I wish they could use some of the funds for the Trax gateway rather than the Biskupski shack.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 6:04 AM

^^^
It took me a minute to decipher those names. Yes, it would be pretty awesome if they could use that money to build the TRAX station where it was originally meant to go (on the elevated bridge between the parking garage and the terminal) instead of off to the east end (I don't know what the shack is; any shelter besides the platform canopy is more than I am expecting, honestly).

I do think it would be wise to place the costs for Salt Lake Central Station's terminal building under the Airport Authority. It would be cool to have some check-in kiosk or desks in the depot, and even a luggage check in. Then you would be taken to the front of the airport terminal by an express bus while your bag is taken in a van to the ground floor of the terminal, where the baggage screening happens. All this means is once you get off the train/bus at Salt Lake Central, you wouldn't need to worry about your bag again until you got to your destination airport.
A system like this could be very useful in case of overcrowding at the single airport terminal.

And speaking of my old Rio Grande post... I've updated my google map for the Rio Grande depot plan ever so slightly. The adjustments are not to the use of the Depot, but how the area west of the depot can be reconfigured with the rail lines moved out of the way. It was sort of disingenuous of me to say that there are 80 acres ready to be redeveloped, since about half of that land is already privately owned and could not be redeveloped without consent/$$$. So I've come up with a more modest plan that preserves as much private property as possible while still allowing the eventual shortening of the 400, 500, and 600 south viaducts (they should tie in at 600 West, not 500 West). As a result, the land being opened for redevelopment is just less than half the 80 acres I originally touted. I still think it would be worthwhile to redevelop that area, but none of that is vital to the success of moving Salt Lake Central to the Rio Grande depot.
Still working on it; slow and steady wins the race...

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:44 PM

More on the:
Pandemic could shorten Salt Lake airport rebuild by 2 years, save $300M

Katie McKellar - Deseret News - May 22nd

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/...-save-millions

Hightech Signs employees work in the Hip & Humble shop space as construction of the new Salt Lake International Airport continues in Salt Lake City on Friday, May 22, 2020. Kristin Murphy, Deseret News

Construction continues on the new Salt Lake International Airport in Salt Lake City on Friday, May 22, 2020. Kristin Murphy, Deseret News

Installation of Gordon Huether’s “The Canyon” has started as construction continues at the new Salt Lake International Airport in Salt Lake City on Friday, May 22, 2020. Kristin Murphy, Deseret News

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:38 PM

Newer pictures posted a couple days ago on the airport website:

https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:36 AM

Ya, I don't think they are going to add any colored lights to those sculptural forms. I think that got "value engineered" out of the project.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:35 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Has anything else been said about the proposal to demo the whole old airport at once and compleat the East side of the new airport in 2 years. I really hope that happens. Perhaps they could even use the savings to just go ahead and complete concourse B instead of expanding it in 5-10... just get it all done.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:57 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Ya, I don't think they are going to add any colored lights to those sculptural forms. I think that got "value engineered" out of the project.
What??? Wasn't that the entire point of the sculpture? It was supposed to match the color of the sky outside.

Without the lights, it looks like a terrible junior high art project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West