HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:38 AM

I went by the site today and I noticed a sign that said Neuman Smith/Bedrock is attempting over a Zoom meeting on the 23rd to change the zoning to allow for a 535' tower that is 95' wide with 15 loading docks as opposed to the 450' tall tower that is 60' wide and with 6 loading docks. It also said the structure would bee about 946,000 square feet. This is interesting because it means Bedrock is still thinking the tower could be as large as originally proposed. To me that either means they somehow secured an anchor tenant or they think Quicken takes up enough space to built the tower at its original scale. I don't think they would even consider anything mostly speculative at this point considering the floundering commercial office market. It will be interesting to see if anything comes up at the meeting about leasing and a timeline.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:27 AM

Mark your calendars

Also thank goodness there are (apparently) no height cuts for the taller tower and Neuman Smith is an architecture firm so we could get some new renderings of the tower

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan48 View Post
I went by the site today and I noticed a sign that said Neuman Smith/Bedrock is attempting over a Zoom meeting on the 23rd to change the zoning to allow for a 535' tower that is 95' wide with 15 loading docks as opposed to the 450' tall tower
Thanks for registering on this forum to deliver this exciting news! Assuming Hudson is completed with a 680 ft height, a 535 ft One Monroe would make it the city's 6th tallest, or the 5th tallest if we disregard the Guardian Building's spire. (Spires typically count toward official heights but somehow this particular one is often ignored, possibly because there is sometimes a flag on it.)

Welcome to SkyscraperPage!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:22 PM

Neuman Smith is a local firm I think they're working with Bedrock and hammer schmidt lassen not so much taking over the design.

I find it strange that now this late they're changing zoning, wouldn't this have happened awhile ago?

I really hope there are no significant changes because I love the minimalist modern design.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:22 PM

Well I tried to upload the picture I took of the sign but I couldn't so this is the URL for the meeting at 9:15 on June 23:
https://cityofdetroit.zoom.us/s/927361025

Last edited by Michigan48; Jun 15, 2020 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:43 PM

^ you could use google photos to upload the image

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:40 PM

Found this on the board of zoning appeal’s website.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...%2C%202020.pdf

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan48 View Post
I went by the site today and I noticed a sign that said Neuman Smith/Bedrock is attempting over a Zoom meeting on the 23rd to change the zoning to allow for a 535' tower that is 95' wide with 15 loading docks as opposed to the 450' tall tower that is 60' wide and with 6 loading docks. It also said the structure would bee about 946,000 square feet. This is interesting because it means Bedrock is still thinking the tower could be as large as originally proposed. To me that either means they somehow secured an anchor tenant or they think Quicken takes up enough space to built the tower at its original scale. I don't think they would even consider anything mostly speculative at this point considering the floundering commercial office market. It will be interesting to see if anything comes up at the meeting about leasing and a timeline.
The tower has been 536ft since the day it was announced. I've never heard any plans for it being 450ft.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 1:04 PM

Little bit of confusing of wording there.

The tower was always planned for 536 ft but a zoning variance was requested to allow it past the height limit for that site which is 450. A horizontal variance is requested as well.

There's no reason to believe the variance wouldn't be approved.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Little bit of confusing of wording there.

The tower was always planned for 536 ft but a zoning variance was requested to allow it past the height limit for that site which is 450. A horizontal variance is requested as well.

There's no reason to believe the variance wouldn't be approved.
You're right, I read it wrong. Seems strange this wasn't done years ago.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
You're right, I read it wrong. Seems strange this wasn't done years ago.
I would image it's something you want to get approved closer towards the start of construction rather than in the planning stages. Otherwise there would need to be a request every time the design changed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I would image it's something you want to get approved closer towards the start of construction rather than in the planning stages. Otherwise there would need to be a request every time the design changed.
That makes sense. It does make that groundbreaking ceremony they had over a year ago even stranger, though.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:41 PM

So after watching the meeting some of the big take aways were that Bedrock only wants to build 6 loading docks but 12-15 were required at a minimum for the site, which was approved. Also, they basically said that the purpose for doing this meeting now would be to make sure they were shovel ready when tenants are signed on. Apparently, this process has been ongoing since March, probably meaning that the design for phase 1 was finalized around that time. Hopefully they do have some tenants already because I think they will have great difficulty trying to fill up nearly a million square feet of office space in this climate. This also makes the December 2018 rendering seem very disingenuous and basically a publicity stunt considering the design was not finalized, no tenants were secure and zoning variances and then later permits had not been secured.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:49 PM

Was the height approved?

Developers usually do that sort of thing to promote their buildings.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:11 PM

I tuned in a little late at about 9:30, but they didn’t really talk about the height in that meeting and from what I could tell it seemed like that was no longer an issue so I’m not quite sure if it was previously approved or what was going on with that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:20 PM

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...lopment/page16

Movin' some dirt...it'll take awhile with that. I wish Bedrock would let their PR folks loose.

link courtesy of DetroitYes

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:38 PM

Looks like they're setting up a movie drive in at this site. Don't know for how long it will be around but it's supposedly temporary. This project probably won't be started any time soon.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky858 View Post
Looks like they're setting up a movie drive in at this site. Don't know for how long it will be around but it's supposedly temporary. This project probably won't be started any time soon.
I think I read that Bedrock is making the Detroit Center for Innovation at the fail jail site a priority over this one. I think that's a good call on their part it will give them a chance to see how the office market changes after the pandemic and make adjustments. Not sure how long they plan on waiting.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:28 PM

Playground and skate park now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 1:39 AM

It’s been reported that Bedrock has purchased Cadillac Tower. Was this ever part of the Monroe Blocks plan? Can this mean the project still has life?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals