HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 8:42 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I kind of think they'll mount some opposition, maybe not a full court battle as they have a pretty full plate, but maybe a URB appeal. I say this because I went on their walking tour earlier this year (lots of interesting facts) and they actually stopped and paid special attention to the building. They referenced it as one that was threatened and could be further imperiled by HRM by Design. I guess the building use to be a hotel and dates back to the mid-19th century. Its not registered, but that won't concern them since its not just about what's on the registry. The building's age, the stop on the walking tour and the neighbouring heritage properties makes me think they'll be mounting some kind of fight.

Agreed about NSP, they own everything else on the block so the ball falls in their court now. Hopefully they won't try and turn it into a parking garage for their proposed new hq on the Electropolis site. That would be a big waste.

Sounds like your saying what your hoping and not what you really think will happen lol.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Sounds like your saying what your hoping and not what you really think will happen lol.
No and that's a unfair thing to say/assume. When we moved in here we knew it was land that would one day be redeveloped. We just didn't expect it to come up so soon. I'm not even against the project even though I'll have to move whenever it gets off the ground. The big weakness to this part of town is my block. Filling it in would be a big plus for the city. I base my assumption that they'll be a fight on what Heritage Trust has fought in the past and what has been said. I think that from what I heard during the Heritage walking tour, the presence of heritage houses that form a streetscape directly across from the site and 10 storeys in the downtown indicates that there is a good chance that Heritage Trust will try and fight it or at least modify the project (they would probably settle for the developer taking some of the upper floors off). It might not come to a court battle, but I would be willing to bet they'll be opposed.

Last edited by spaustin; Apr 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some renderings from the HRM website that I don't think were up before:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:23 AM

I say paint the verandas but other than that the building looks pretty good. In my view this will simply help step down the "Alexander" to South-End levels. This will be 9 storeys shorter then the "Alexander" and three (?) storeys higher than the office building next door. Something in the block between this and Brewery Market around 13-14 storeys would really finish this nice step-down. Overall not very inspiring but not a project that should be rejected.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:41 AM

These renderings make me feel a lot better about this project. It looks quite nice. And the roof doesn't look as out of place. For some reason it reminds me of San Fransisco. Hope to see it go through.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Based on the renderings I think this is a really solid project. Its scale is perfect for the area. It's along the lines of the somewhat-recently-completed Waterford or Letson Court.

I hope we eventually see something on the big empty lot next door.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:04 PM

Nice renderings. I really like the roof. The pink I'm not so sure about, but who knows, it might look good once it's built.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:22 PM

The more and more I look at it the more and more I like it. They have addressed the corner quite well and have done a really good job breaking up the mass of the building.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:47 PM
we built this city

I love it, I would prefer red brick to match the area, but anything in that lot would be a plus. And yes, it addresses that corner and the area perfectly.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 10:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I doubt those renderings show the intended colours. I recall seeing other versions that had some red and some yellow brick. The balconies probably won't be that colour either.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:50 AM

The developer/my landlord had a public meeting the other night at the superstore. Only three people attended (myself, one other tenant and the owner of Zed from across the street). One of the things that they're apparently debating behind the scenes is the red balconies. The red is in fact a tinted glass so how red it looks will depend a lot on the lighting on any particular day. It could disappear though but that rendering is actually what they're currently thinking in regards to colour.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
Closed account

I like the red myself. It provides an interesting contrast from the facade.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 7:36 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
The developer/my landlord had a public meeting the other night at the superstore. Only three people attended (myself, one other tenant and the owner of Zed from across the street). One of the things that they're apparently debating behind the scenes is the red balconies. The red is in fact a tinted glass so how red it looks will depend a lot on the lighting on any particular day. It could disappear though but that rendering is actually what they're currently thinking in regards to colour.
Were they enthusiastic about the development?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Were they enthusiastic about the development?
They seemed to be. They're casting it in the same light as the Waterford and W Suites. If you're looking for a name, they're thinking the Vic since the building that's currently on the site was originally the Victorian Hotel and then became Victorian Apartments.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The clear balconies sound interesting. They may or may not turn out that great but it's time for developers to try some more interesting designs in Halifax. The city's building stock is already fairly eclectic. Very few parts of the core are built up in a single style, including this one.

There have been a lot of mid-scale developments south of the downtown in the past few years. I can think of 3 on Barrington, 2 others on Hollis, one on Queen Street, 1-3 on South (depending on where you want to cut it off), Letson Court on Morris Street, Bishop's Landing... overall these must account for 500-1000 new housing units.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:03 PM

Public meeting tonight at 7pm at City Hall!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:17 PM

Is it a public meeting or a public hearing?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:22 PM

Public Information Meeting

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 3:19 AM

Wish I could have made it tonight. Was anyone there?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:03 PM

Yes I was there and it was the same old Mr Pacey giving the developer and all of us a big leacture of how important the current building is and how annoyed he is at this develoment. He said it cost a lot less to fix up the building then to build a new one so why wouldn't the developer just do that. Mrs Pacey then went on how the house next to the larger building was once home to a famous sea caption or soemthing and should not be touched because of it.

One resident of the building who is an artist from Eurpoe who loves his building and lived there for years defended the developer saying you have to live in reality and don't blame the developer in trying to better the community. He also challenged the Heritage trust that if they are serious about saving the building why don't they get a fundraising drive together and buy the building at market value and do something with it or get out of the way and let the developer do there thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth