HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 5:53 PM

Feasibility of Replacing the Ice Crossings/Ferries on Dempster Highway

Would it be feasible to build permnant year round bridges on the Dempster Highway to replace the ice crossings and ferries that currently cross the Peel and Mackenzie Rivers. This was done over the Mackenzie River on the Yellowknife Highway with the construction of the Deh Cho Bridge.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 6:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder what the cost would be to pave the Dempster Highway it's entire length?

I'm sure it would be outrageous, but the Dempster is a national highway and this should be taken under consideration. They should also consider a road up the Mackenzie River Valley to connect with the Dempster Highway too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder what the cost would be to pave the Dempster Highway it's entire length?

I'm sure it would be outrageous, but the Dempster is a national highway and this should be taken under consideration. They should also consider a road up the Mackenzie River Valley to connect with the Dempster Highway too.
The Dalton Highway in Alaska is constructed from gravel and it has a bridge that crosses the Yukon River, so I think that it should be done on the Dempster across the Peel and Mackenzie Rivers.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 1:40 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:

As someone who worked for the 2011 census in Fort Simpson, Wrigley and Behchoko amongst I can say the road north of Fort Simpson is in TERRIBLE shape and really needs a lot of work to even make it halfway decent. Is this worth it? You betcha! The MacKenzie Valley still has tons of long-term economic potential and needs proper infrastructure to make sure its viable. Plus anything that makes shipping to the North cheaper and easier and smashes the horrid Northern Store monopoly that exists in most markets "Up There" is a good thing. I had fun up there and most importantly the people and the scenery are spectacular and not to be missed!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

does dempster hiighway run over allot of muskeg?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
does dempster hiighway run over allot of muskeg?
Muskeg no, but permafrost yes! This is a problem especially in it's final segment from about the Peel River Crossing. A very deep roadbed is necessary as a result. The section of road between Tuk and Inuvik was apparently ridiculously expensive, and it is still rough gravel.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:29 PM

I've been on section of the Dempster and the road to Wrigley and the Liard highway.

They all need work. Also there are times in the spring after the melt and or a heavy rain that the road is impassable because of the mud.

That said I still plan on driving to Tuk one year. If you do it, I was told make sure you bring extra tough tires and extra tires as well. The gravel can shred some tires.

I would love to see river crossings.

But mostly I would love to see the McKenzie valley done. That would make a great circle drive. Up one down the other.

Same reason I wished they would build an all weather road to Ft Chip. The tourist travel would be incredible.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:45 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Building key infrastructure in the North is important but aren't we pouring good money after bad if we build high order infrastructure on permafrost? Don't we have to wait a couple decades for it to melt, allow the ground to subside, then build?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada