HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Why not poll something potentially useful, like "Should Canada move to ban anything and everything associated with Nickelback?"
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I think that rings true for the ROC as well. I can't remember the last time the royals came up in casual conversation. It's a non-issue to virtually everyone.
Yeah, the really hostile groups are probably in similar proportions in Quebec and the ROC.

Where there is a bigger difference is in the groups I would refer to as "passive abolitionists", "passive supporters" and "passionate supporters".

Quebec is much more on the passive abolitionist side than the rest of the country and the supporter groups even grouped together are very small here.

Whereas in the ROC things are more evenly split.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, the really hostile groups are probably in similar proportions in Quebec and the ROC.

Where there is a bigger difference is in the groups I would refer to as "passive abolitionists", "passive supporters" and "passionate supporters".

Quebec is much more on the passive abolitionist side than the rest of the country and the supporter groups even grouped together are very small here.

Whereas in the ROC things are more evenly split.
I am a passive abolitionist.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:28 AM
BANNED

We should be proud that we're setting an example for all the other little countries. Share a Head of State could possibly catch on in every insignificant country in the world. Rather than spend money on your own system of government, appoint a real, actual country to provide a head of state for you! All the little countries of the world could timeshare their leader as we do. The real country can absorb the terrorist attacks, stock market runs and all the other pressures that come about from being a real country that matters. The timeshare head of state can represent various counties at various times- being a citizen of all the little countries that sign on, yet the little counties never have to share the responsibility for the actions of the real, actual country. "Don't blame us, they just appoint our head of state for us".

Brilliant!

The rest of us can continue to be little, insignificant countries that timeshare a head of state.

I'm so proud!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 10:05 AM

You're such a moron.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 8:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I support continuing to recognize the monarchy.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 10:15 PM

When PQ take power in Quebec I hope they kick the lieutenant-governor out of Quebec we will save a couples of millions

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 6:48 AM
The New Republic

Betty is a Brit. I've never thought of her as my monarch. We can't ditch her and the rest of that institution fast enough. If a government had on its platform a move to become a republic, I'd likely vote for them.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 1:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
When PQ take power in Quebec I hope they kick the lieutenant-governor out of Quebec we will save a couples of millions
Totally. Why spend on two queens? Marois already has a palace.

LaPresse

montrealmemes.com
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 9:58 PM
An Optimistic Realist

By looking at the polls, more people want to get rid of the monarchy. I'm guessing the Indian route is of liking?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 10:48 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
You're still going to need someone to exercise the powers that the LG has. You can't combine those with the responsibilities of premier, that much power for a politician is simply unacceptable.

I hate to use Godwin's Law here, but abolishing that position and merging its powers with the Prime Minister is essentially the first step Hitler took on his way to absolute power. Doing the same in Canada won't result in anything near as bad as what he did but I honestly don't think it is in the best interest of any part of the country to have that happen. And I don't think it would be in the best interests of an independent Quebec to unilaterally abolish the monarchy and declare independence from Canada.

We need to develop a process to become a republic but I really don't think it is necessary at the current time. And we've been through this before: Someone had to take that position weather it is an appointed representative of the queen or an elected head of a republic. We're not going to save as much money as you think! It would very likely cost us money in the long run, and we can't afford that right now for so few benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
By looking at the polls, more people want to get rid of the monarchy. I'm guessing the Indian route is of liking?
If Canada gets rid of the monarchy, we'll do it the way we always have: A gradual, civil process that phases it out. No one will be forced away, there will be no conflict or protests. A few years in I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were rudely reminded that we aren't a monarchy anymore when we hold the second presidential election.

Abolishing the monarchy could be as simple as having 11 parliaments with over 1,000 members between them unanimously support an identical bill declaring that we no longer accept the monarchy, and will henceforth be a republic. Good luck! Note that bills altering the monarchy's relationship with the government don't need royal assent. Unlike most bills that must be signed into law by the vice regal on behalf of the monarchy, any bill changing or abolishing the monarchy automatically becomes law as soon as it is passed, without the monarch's input. If we do decide to become a monarchy that way, the royal family would have no legal course to take to maintain that power. We could adopt a different royal family in a similar way, and we can choose a different line of succession than the UK and end up with a different head of state than them at some point, creating a more uniquely Canadian royal family.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 10:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
That's fine with me, it would mean that the PQ couldn't pass any laws, never mind their tenuous minority.

Of course, since the Lieutenant Governor of Quebec is appointed by the Governor General of Canada on the advice of the Prime Minister of Canada....I don't think it's very likely.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Perhaps it's a good time to revisit this issue.

Canada should make Prince Harry our king

Quote:
Prince Harry and Meghan’s Sunday night interview with Oprah Winfrey revealed some of the worst parts of the British monarchy. It is an institution that’s too comfortable with racism and one in which bullying appears to be a core management practice. The mostly faceless people — courtiers, unnamed family members — who make up “the firm” are no doubt quite unsympathetic. However, the crown still has tremendous value for Canada.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/car...vernor-general

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Good lord, why? So we can have a self-indulgent, narcissistic whiner as our head of state along with his scheming American wife? Why not just nominate a Kardashian?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:08 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Good lord, why? So we can have a self-indulgent, narcissistic whiner as our head of state along with his scheming American wife? Why not just nominate a Kardashian?
I didn't mean to imply that I agree with the concept of the article, but was rather amused and surprised by that as a reaction to the interview.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:38 PM

I voted "Continue to recognize the Monarchy" when the poll first ran some 9 years ago, but I've gotten it out of my system... I'm done with that bunch.

Yeah I get how difficult amending the constitution is, but this the kind of thing that wouldn't realistically involve the horse trading and extensive negotiations that normally grind this kind of thing to a halt. If all the provinces and Parliament agree, it should be relatively straightforward. Although that said, I guess the real obstacle is disagreement over what a replacement system would look like...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:52 PM

Time to kick the royals to the curb, and I come from a long line of monarchists. No longer relevant in any sense.

That being said, a formalized severing of ties would be expensive and painful so it’s easier to just let them become more irrelevant.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:09 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There are other things to consider though, like the repercussions of doing away with long-standing institutions without recognizing them as a force for stability, and not having a suitable replacement.

Why Monarchies Rule When It Comes to Standard of Living
Quote:
... the long-term effects of monarchies are good for the economy and the standard of living, according to a new study by Wharton management professor Mauro Guillen. ...

Guillen’s study found that over the 110 years between 1900 and 2010, monarchies had a better record than republics in protecting property rights of businesses and individuals.
https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...ood-economies/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:23 PM

I'm on the "scrap the monarchy" team, but I don't think there's much point pushing the issue for now, there are bigger problems. Better to bide time and see the monarchy become more and more outdated and unfashionable, hopefully imploding in scandals, and wait until the groundswell of support is so great that the question of whether we scrap the monarchy gets the correct answer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:29 PM

I have switched to ditch it, but recognize that it won't be easy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada