HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 6:43 PM

I think there's a strong demand for well-designed townhouse in-fill projects in PDX. Unfortunately the cost of construction is so high now, and will only get worse. (unless the country slips into a major economic slump) Pb Elemental Architecture in Seattle are doing a ton of great in-fill townhouse work:
http://www.elementalarchitecture.com/home.html (for those who aren't aware of them)

Last edited by sowat; Sep 1, 2008 at 7:53 PM. Reason: fixed link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 8:32 PM

23rd and Glisan Demo.

Here are a few pics from the demo of existing structure at 23rd and Glisan.

8-29

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:12 AM
A before E

I just noticed that today, was walking down 23rd. So what is going on there or are they just tearing down the building?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:55 AM

Wow I am so glad to see that ugly building go! Thanks for the photos ... I live only a few blocks away but hadn't seen this demolition yet.

urban life, I haven't seen the renderings for quite a while but I know there is some type of 2 or 3 level retail building, brick and steel (?), something I think will actually have an attractive presence on the street. Finally! I always felt sort of like all the nice ped-friendly density of 23rd 'ended', going south at this corner -- after this redevelopment, maybe they'll fill in the Plaid Pantry parking lot site and a few of those other lots nearby ...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:56 AM

One of the beneficial things that Seattle does well is the city requires a "small billboard sized sign posted" at the site to inform the public of future plans/project description/scheduled hearings/telephone numbers for the building/lot/block. This is much better, imo, than a small, printer sized sign taped to the building or attached to a fence, etc. which can be destroyed, etc. What system does Portland use?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 4:01 AM

^^^ seriously that would be nice -- all I saw several months ago was a "public notice" sign that disappeared soon after. You can stop and read the details on those if you want but I really like to see the renderings.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 4:59 AM

those same notices are published on portlandonline.com (planning and development services bureau). i highly recommend ppl check them out - you get the notice they post, plus the rest, which often has renderings or drawings.

i think this new bldg is actually only 2 stories, but iirc, according to the drawing it's much more modern.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 6:20 AM

Living just up the street from there, it will be nice to see something active on the corner. It appears they plan to bring the front entrances down to street level, which would make a word of a difference. There is underground parking below (maybe 8 spots) I'm curious if that will stick around or not. Not really sure how it could, unless they just moved the stairs inside.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 8:53 PM

That is where the apple store was going to go. The design review application showed a similar design massing as the apple store design, but with brick cladding and wood canopies. I believe it has two shotgun retail spots as well, both fronting 23rd.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 11:00 PM

sorry it aint apple, but glad that building is gone.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 12:46 PM
A before E

man, that apple store design would of looked so cool there, shame people in NW are morons when it comes to good architecture.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 12:51 AM

hope it's not too off the subject for you arch. fans, thought some of you might find this snippet interesting. It's an excerpt from Morningstar.com 9.17.08
http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...pgid=hparticle

Quote:
It's clear that affordability in Phoenix is no longer meaningfully below historical averages. Based upon Case-Shiller paired sales indexes, the same can also be said for San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, and Tampa, all of which now reside relatively close to fair value. Even better, cities such as Dallas, Atlanta, Cleveland, and Detroit are approaching bargain pricing. In fact, only one city in the 20-city composite, Portland, Ore., currently sits more than 20% above our fair value estimate, and only four are more than 12% above that metric. Compare this to mid-2006, when 12 of the 20 cities in the study were more than 20% overvalued, nine of them by more than 30%. Although a few MSAs still have a way to go before their homes are reasonably priced, it's pretty evident that affordability has gotten appreciably better across most of the country.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 12:51 AM

really small PDX infill on NBC Nightly News
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#27010765

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 4:34 AM
A before E

very cool, and actually Grace Kim wrote a great book recently that anyone looking to get into architecture should read.

The Survival Guide to Architectural Internship and Career Development

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:10 PM

December Metropolitan Home

The December issue of Metropolitan Home has an interesting article on Portland's "Skinny Houses". It focuses on the "Living Smart: Big Ideas for Small Lots" competition, in particular the 2 entires that have been built, the Higgins house and the Vargas house. I don't believe the article is available on-line, but the houses are at http://www.livingsmartpdx.com/home/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 3:42 AM

Yet another 6-story apt building proposed for NW, this time at 20th and Pettygrove, across Pettygrove from those awful suburban townhouses they built about 3 years ago.

Here's the google street view. The building, as I remember it, won't be missed. Those nice trees might, however.

Here's the pre-app conference notice.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 4:28 PM

Portland rolls out its Infill Design Toolkit
Refinements to infill development guidelines are intended to foster density and creativity
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Thursday, January 8, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

With the release of the Infill Design Tool-kit guide, the city of Portland is attempting to enumerate and remove some of the long-standing barriers to infill development.

The tool kit is a compilation of work that the city first undertook about three years ago, when planners recognized that there were obstacles to dense infill development. The tool kit is now one-stop shopping for developers and builders curious about changes to the city’s recommendations for infill development for neighborhoods.

“This is supposed to be a carrot-type approach, rather than a stick,” said Shawn Wood, a city planner with the Bureau of Development Services, who worked on the tool kit.

The primary goal of the tool kit is to find design compatibility that works within the evolving context of neighborhoods, according to people who worked on the project.

But that can be a difficult concept to parse. In years past, compatibility has meant maintaining design details for a neighborhood. This time around, writers of the tool kit have emphasized the evolving patterns of design.

This will accommodate change, while at the same time preserve cherished design aspects of a neighborhood, the tool kit states. That means the way development within a neighborhood is naturally progressing will provide as much design context as the neighborhood’s architectural history.

Greg Acker, formerly with the Office of Sustainable Development and now with his own private architecture firm, said aspects of the tool kit morphed out of the city’s renewed emphasis on building courtyard housing and designing skinny lots. That dates back about three years.

“(The point) has been how to increase density,” Acker said. “With courtyard housing, for example, the point was to figure out how to get (those developments) to work with people and vehicles.”

Courtyard apartments were once a mainstay of the city, and examples of these types of developments pepper neighborhoods throughout the city.

The city has actively tried to develop more of these projects, as they typically provide more communal space for residents while keeping density higher than it would be otherwise.

But as much as the city looks back, it also wants to look forward. Wood said the city wants to continue “zooming out, looking at the context of neighborhoods” and not simply at what the zoning code states.

Yet many of the code changes that have taken effect over the years have been to minimize the impact of parking, he added. Rear parking for infill development has historically been frowned upon, due to its removal of outdoor space toward the back of a development.

The city has changed that policy recently, so developers can add an overhanging deck covering parking areas, to make up the space lost with the addition of the parking spots.

“Too often, vehicular access was up front because there was no way to get it behind,” he said.

He calls these changes a “liberation of infill development” rather than a confinement, which typically comes with evolving ordinances.

And in keeping with the city’s call for openness, the tool kit states that windows and main entrances should open toward the street, in order to avoid the appearance of buildings turning their backs or sides toward the street.

For courtyard developments, this means orienting main entrances toward the open courtyards. For the authors of the tool kit, this ensures that there’s a “semipublic” expanse that leads to the sidewalk and street.

“We need to keep looking at whether a neighborhood is changing,” Wood said. “Maybe it used to be just single-family homes, and everybody had a 20-foot setback, but now 15 lots on the street have been redeveloped and it looks like everything else will redevelop as well.”

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...nes-are-intend

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:40 AM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 12:51 AM
A before E

you know, I have to say that I am rather impressed with the final product on this one. It definitely shows off the talent of the architecture firm that worked on it quite well.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
Apparently the development across 19th from Couch Park is now called "Park 19". There's a new website.
They've finally replaced the placeholder with a real website showing floorplans. No rental prices listed yet, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland