HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 2:05 AM

Looking very mediocre. The entire area would have benefited from a taller tower to make a mark but this wouldn't really cut the cake.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:07 AM

No pics but this tower has been topped out and even the crane has come down. It's a fairly dark tower that blends with the area.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 3:19 PM

2021-08-30

Pretty much completed

Untitled by Lexus LX570, on Flickr

Untitled by Lexus LX570, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 4:51 PM

I think this one turned out nicely. Much better than its neighbours, sleeker and with less spandrel. I also don't mind the podium building at the corner. Though the architecture in this area leaves to be desired, i do appreciate the various materials and treatments being used, which helps avoid a homogeneous result.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 6:01 PM

...speaking of which,.....

They turned on the Lantern feature light at the top this morning (or last night), and boy is that thing ever so bright.

It's more 'lighthouse' than 'lantern' and that much light is gonna get old and annoying real fast to the people living in the upper and penthouse levels of those neighbouring towers - especially Imperial next door and Vittorio that will get the lion's share of it.

All that illumination on the side of Vittorio in that first image is coming from that light feature.
Imagine having to wake up to that every day.

I see lots of neighbour complaints in this tower's immediate future shortly after they finish and start occupancy.

Also turned on where the light trails' vertical lights on the side going up the length of the front o the building. Not as bad or bright as that lantern up top.

They're gonna have to tone that brightness down if the plan on having that on all the time, otherwise this will go the same way as the screen feature of Gold House that was turned on maybe once or twice for testing and then never again.
Features like this almost never get used as depicted in the renders and are only ever really useful for the marketing folks, and too impractical to be used for anything else.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 6:34 PM

Probably just testing/burning-in.
I like the layout of the vertical lights.
I expect they go right to the top - just not lit yet.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:28 PM

I should probably point out that I took those at 5am this morning during my morning run.

That's kinda early to be "testing"

The vertical lights strips on the side are usually on every night now (not all the way to the top), though they're obviously not as bright - but this was the first time I had seen them turn on the lantern at the top.

Some not-too-happy neighbours in the adjacent towers must have woken up to that.

But you're probably right.
And I doubt during normal operation if they do turn it on regularly, that it will be to that level of brightness.

Wasted opportunity in this project not to put the tower itself with that lantern feature all the way right at the corner of Nelson and Imperial instead of the Dunblane-Imperial corner where it now sits.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the pictures! I hadn't yet seen the lighting feature and am not sure what to think of it. There must be more vertical light stripes at the top of the building? I am not sure I can make what they are trying to do here.

Overall it's a very unremarkable tower in fairly prominent place. I wish Midori would have been built here instead but I guess Polaris is fine as well.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
I should probably point out that I took those at 5am this morning during my morning run.

That's kinda early to be "testing"

The vertical lights strips on the side are usually on every night now (not all the way to the top), though they're obviously not as bright - but this was the first time I had seen them turn on the lantern at the top.

Some not-too-happy neighbours in the adjacent towers must have woken up to that.

But you're probably right.
And I doubt during normal operation if they do turn it on regularly, that it will be to that level of brightness.

Wasted opportunity in this project not to put the tower itself with that lantern feature all the way right at the corner of Nelson and Imperial instead of the Dunblane-Imperial corner where it now sits.
Could be a continuous lengthy run-in period required (?) or a mistake like the Davie St. Safeway facade that Westbank left on.

Agreed with the tower placement, but that's probably to allow the lowrise condo on Nelson to be redeveloped with some breathing room.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:59 AM

Simple "no frills" tower but with nice light features. Makes the neighbourhood feel livelier at night.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 2:50 AM

Residents have started moving in, so this tower is completed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley